Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack - Episode 12

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    What are we talking about this time? Well, it involves hippies, Prince Poo, eating hamburgers straight from a garbage can, absentee fathers, Smaaaaaaaash attacks, and the power of prayer in a pinch. Boing!
    The music you hear that isn't from the game came from this talented individual.
    Here we find something Nyx mentions during the recording that she wanted shared.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Member Member
    Ah, the soothing voice of Mrs. Willina Phillis, sister to evil twin Will Phillis.

That sounded confusing: I am referring of course to the intro.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I <3 you, boys.

I also <3 Mr. Saturn.

-I hate FFXIII also! [img]non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Before I forget, I mentioned that there was a fanmade Earthbound movie. Here's the links to it.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Great job on the podcast folks! [img]non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] It's a bit of a shame that none of the panel finished the original Mother. While EarthBound almost seems like a remake of the first game, it has it's own unique aspects that make it my favorite 8-bit RPG.

I'm not sure about the very first RPG to have enemies visible on screen, but the original Seiken Densetsu on the Game Boy, or Final Fantasy Adventure as it's better known here, has 'em and that came out in 1991. That's the earliest I'm aware of.

Also, I can think of one series that may have taken some inspiration from Mother: Pokemon. Creatures Inc, one of Pokemon's owners along with Nintendo and Game Freak used to be called Ape Inc, so that may have some part of it. While not nearly as wacky or kooky as the three Mother games, it's certainly quite the light-hearted series. Also, the sprite styles are vaguely similar, both have seamless interconnected maps between towns, dungeons and the outside instead of an overworld map screen, and both take place in a world that is more or less based on contemporary times instead of the middles ages. Sure Game Freak developed the Pokemon games, but Creatures probably had at least some creative input here and there.

"Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Strawberry Eggs @ Mar. 19 2010, 11:28 AM)
    I'm not sure about the very first RPG to have enemies visible on screen, but the original Seiken Densetsu on the Game Boy, or Final Fantasy Adventure as it's better known here, has 'em and that came out in 1991. That's the earliest I'm aware of.
    This is a Zelda-like game. So we could just say Zelda on the NES. I think what he meant is, a traditional RPG (with turn by turn fighting) in which you can see the enemy on the map.

The enemies weren't visible in the Mega-CD version of Lunar were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(SiliconNooB @ Mar. 19 2010, 5:44 PM)
    The enemies weren't visible in the Mega-CD version of Lunar were they?
    In the Sega CD version, I'm pretty sure they were random encounters.

The original Lunar games on Sega CD most definitely used random encounters.
    No winner yet, either....
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(JuMeSyn @ Mar. 19 2010, 7:38 PM)
    The original Lunar games on Sega CD most definitely used random encounters.
    No winner yet, either....
    No? It's so easy!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    Please continue playing Contact. There are some touching, confusing moments.

It isn't Earthbound though, yeah.

I don't think the SNES was a problem when localising the original Mother. It's said they were waiting for the right conditions to release it and were still waiting until the SNES came out.
    (FF2 had that problem though, maybe the stories have been mixed up.)

One thing not mentioned about items was the condiment system for food, where you eat food with a condiment and an extra boost from it.
    I liked that, but it was a shame the resticted inventory hindered its usefulness.

Visible enemies:
    I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was out before Earthbound, but I suspect there must be early game (Because Rogue-likes used that mechanic).

I would call Seiken Densetsu an Action RPG. "Zelda-like" suggests that it has a more Action with puzzles orientation.
    That said Zelda 2 is argueably another Action RPG and has visible random encounters on the map.

Lufia II had visible enemies in dungeons, but it was probably released during a similar period to Earthbound and Chrono 1995-96.

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(silktail @ Mar. 20 2010, 9:24 PM)
    I would call Seiken Densetsu an Action RPG. "Zelda-like" suggests that it has a more Action with puzzles orientation.
    That said Zelda 2 is argueably another Action RPG and has visible random encounters on the map.
    I merely said that to mention it's not turn by turn, but I see your point.

Lufia 2 came out in 96 in the US, postdating Earthbound. It also came out in early 95 in Japan, again postdating Earthbound. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest came out in late 1992 though, which in this single category makes it a winner.

Have to say I loved the addition of:
    Sam & Max

One thing, please oh please make notes about the last names of the other cohorts. It's just a personal issue I imagine, but calling Tom "Mr. Tom" last podcast just made me feel like JCS was going "oh crap, I forgot his last name." Nothing big, but I just like hearing the full name intro. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/tounge2.gif[/img]
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Macstorm @ Mar. 25 2010, 7:13 AM)
    Have to say I loved the addition of:
    Sam & Max

One thing, please oh please make notes about the last names of the other cohorts. It's just a personal issue I imagine, but calling Tom "Mr. Tom" last podcast just made me feel like JCS was going "oh crap, I forgot his last name." Nothing big, but I just like hearing the full name intro. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/tounge2.gif[/img]
    There's only one problem with this picture.

...we'd need to switch the personalities, as I'm pretty sure I'm closer to Max than Sam. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/tounge2.gif[/img]

Looks like more people will be enjoying this:
    http://earthboundcentral.com/2010/03...amers-podcast/

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Thanks for the link paws. That's kewlie! It's nice to know others are enjoyin' the cast!