Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record of Agarest War

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Welcome RPG fans, to another edition of Nyx-Blogs-About-Breasts... I mean RPGs. In all honesty, this game is exceptionally hard to take seriously, but I'll do my best to give you guys a full and hehehe deep impression into what can be expected when playing Record of Agarest War. Also, big thanks to Aksys for having a hilarious campaign to market this title. Big sausages for all!

Any way, this is a chance for me to share with you guys my progress in this game. I'm not sure if anyone on staff outside of me and Firemyst are picking this game up and diligently playing it for review, but I figured I was looking for something to scratch my SRPG fix, and this seemed like it could be a fun choice.

Onward! To discuss boobs--- I mean, the game.

04/29/10 - 2 hours

Okay, so for those playing Agarest War on the PlayStation 3, one thing you'll notice is the lack of game clock. I dunno how much it bothers some people, but it's a massive pet peeve of mine. I like seeing how long I've played something, and for a game that boasts being over 60+ hours, the least you could tell me if I've hit said sixty hours. For the purpose of this blog, I'm simply going to estimate as much of the time as I can.

Having roughly played about two hours of the game, I can say this probably one of the first RPGs I've played in a long time where combat is primary focused on an Action Point (AP) system. Having played games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Growlanser, I'm more use to an HP/MP system, but after talking to Macstorm, we decided this game sounds a lot closer to Vandal Hearts II.

Combat takes place on a grind and has two phases. In the Move Phase, players position their party members as they see fit. When the Move Phase is over, both the player's party and the enemy move at the exact same time. This means that there's no real way to predict exactly where the enemy will move, though it's usually safe to assume that they will try to get as close to the party as possible. The Move Phase consumes Action Points (AP), and depending on where you move your characters determines how much AP they will have for that particular round. After the Move Phase is complete, the Action Phase commences.

In the Action Phase, both the party and the enemy can attack multiple times depending on the amount of AP they have. Sometimes it's possible to also do Link Attacks if your party members are Linked. To determine a Link Attack, characters must be positioned in a specific formation on the battle field. If done correctly, there will be a link made directly between the characters who can participate. Link Attacks are critical to success in some battles as they allow slower characters the chance to act more quickly and help deal more damage to enemies. It's pretty fabulous.

Actually, I'm enjoying the combat in this game a lot more than I thought I would. It feels as though it's like a standard SRPG, BUT there's a lot of differences that I can see either people enjoying or hating. I find it really funny, especially when I deal massive combo damage of doom.

Another small complaint I have, and it's related to combat is the faintness of the font when healing items are used or damage is taken. You can barely see it.

I'm still trying to figure out the story, but two hours isn't entirely enough to gauge what is exactly going on. I have collected party members though! I have an energetic elf named Ellis, and her monster companion who's name escapes me at the moment. Since this game is all about generations, it's key to keep your ladyfriends happy in this game, although I've had yet to see the effects of the Soul Breeding system in action. I can only hope I get more options besides Ellis in Generation, because right now, I'm not sold on her being my ladyfriend. Not one bit. She is pretty strong in battle though, I'll give her that.

Also, Agarest War has varied gameplay. Yes, this is shocking in SRPGs, as it's not just tactical combat on grids. There are actually exploration stages in the game, meaning players can enter these areas and collect loot and recruit monsters. Leonhardt can freely move around the exploration stages, and combat at that point becomes randomized. You don't really see this in SRPGs considering most SRPGs just have you complete a map and then move to the next one.

So yeah, these are just some of my initial impressions. Obviously, I've got ways to go in this game.

More soon!

06/07/10

Okay, so it's been a long time since I've touched this blog or Agarest War. Life has been pretty busy since the last update what with a lot of personal stuff, and of course having the advance review copy of Hexyz Force to take care of.

I decided to restart this on yesterday on Easy, as I originally had it on Normal and realized I was getting my butt kicked. With the change to Easy, I'm finding that I'm pulling my hair a lot less. Having since restarted, I've gotten a lot further than I did before. Yes, I'm still on generation one, and I've just gotten Vira-Lorr to join my party. I'm just getting out of some murky area, I don't remember what it's called.

I still don't like Ellis though. Call me an elf hatred, but by golly her Japanese voice hurts me so. The game clearly needs more Dyshana and Vira-Lorr though. Seriously, more.

I am still enjoying the combat, although the story from what I've gathered so far is a bit... "huh? bwah?" The localization is good, though I'm not feeling much from the characters. I hope that changes though.

Anywho, I'm off to go play more Agarest tonight. Considering this is a 40+ hour game, I worry I won't finish it until sometime in July depending on how much free time I have to play it. I do want to thank all the people who posted in the blog while it was dead for the month of May -- good to see you all being helpful and respectful towards each other. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

More boob-commentary soon!

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Okay, since Nyx went through the details about the battle system, I'm going to explore the story. It's a great story. No, really, trust me. Okay, it could use some work.

You're a guy in an army. He's perfectly fine being a soldier, following orders and making mayhem, until one day he sees that a elf girl has to be killed. Our soldier decides this is the last straw and renounces everything for the sake of this girl. He fights some of his former friends and runs off with the girl.

By girl, I literally mean a young female, tween at most. This isn't a love interest. He just wants to do what's right. Commendable to be sure, but the guy could use a reality check.

Anyway, so he's running off with this girl to safety, but the leaders of the division block the path. He tells the girl run, promising to follow short after. He's then quickly cut down by the henchman of the leader, and left for dead.

But, amazingly enough, as he's approaching the brink of death, a busty women with straps of leather for a top (details are important), offers to save his life and grant him power beyond comprehension. All she wants in return is his soul. Oh, and the soul of his offspring he's bound to have, since his life was going so well up to this moment. Almost without hesitation, the man agrees. Not because of a good reason, like having power and might is awesome and desirable, but because he made a promise to a girl he just met.

I am seriously not making this up.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Member Member
    Borgnine. The dude that is Ellis' beast protector is Borgnine.

And the story gets better. <span class="spoiler">I'm just kidding, it actually gets worse.</span>

Tumblr &#124; Twitter
    \"FFXII doesn&#39;t really have a story to tell, and so it doesn&#39;t. FFXIII doesn&#39;t really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB

Member Member
    so... Is the game actually good or is it for someone who just wants to look at still picks of Scantily Clad women all day... Cause I don't like that. It was one of the things I disliked about Cross Edge (I disliked more than that IN Cross edge but it was the first thing i disliked).

From what I've seen (and read) the combat looks like fun, which to me is the important part, but if everything in the game is just big breasted women and innuendos toward such things that would be a huge turn off to me.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

(for now it's on my Gamefly list)
    IRC Name: Jack_Fox&#124;Badgerlord

Proud Gay Furry gamer since 1990.

Jeffery is right in that the story does get worse and more nonsensical as it goes. You will meet some interesting characters, but some of them don't get more than 3 or 4 scenes before you never see them again. It's really a shame, since I liked 3 or 4 of the more minor side characters more than some of the character you can recruit.

I found the gameplay to be much better that Cross Edge, but near the end of the game it degrades into "enemy kills you in one hit"-type battles. If your characters are spaced too closely together, expect to wiped out instantly.

If it matters to you, there are also slowdown issues on some battle screens and in the dungeons. I found the dungeons to be rather dull and feel like "filler." Also about the dungeons: While they do have random encounters, you can avoid them completely. Just don't stay in one room for too many jumps or steps. Every time you leave the room the rate resets, so you can just leave and re-enter the room to keep exploring for items.

I'd elaborate a bit more, but this is Nyx's "blog." I'll just state that while there are some problems (and the "dating sim" aspects are extremely shallow) I overall enjoyed the game. It's not perfect, but I spent a huge amount of time with the European version, despite the terrible localization.

Member Member
    Ok let me ask this then, Like Cross Edge does this games True Ending only appear after following a super specific path that you must follow with 100% accuracy or you miss out on all the fun from level 80 - 999? (called True End in Cross Edge) Because when I beat cross edge and learned I couldn't go to the real end game I wasn't very happy and had NO intention of doing it all over again.

Or can you experience it all without having to know about it before hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Foxflame @ Apr. 29 2010, 9:08 PM)
    Ok let me ask this then, Like Cross Edge does this games True Ending only appear after following a super specific path that you must follow with 100% accuracy or you miss out on all the fun from level 80 - 999? (called True End in Cross Edge) Because when I beat cross edge and learned I couldn't go to the real end game I wasn't very happy and had NO intention of doing it all over again.

Or can you experience it all without having to know about it before hand?
    The requirements aren't nearly as steep as Cross Edge's, but you likely will need a guide to attain the true ending. Basically, it works like this: Clear all True Ending requirements -&gt; Beat game -&gt; Extra scenes occur -&gt; Beat bosses -&gt; True Ending -&gt; Able to access New Game+.

That's not to say you can't access New Game+ after beating it normally, but if you're on the True Ending path you can't access it until you've finished the extra content.

Member Member
    Well the True Ending in Cross Edge was an extra what... 40 somewhat hours of Gameplay that you don't get to do.

Is this one just a new boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Foxflame @ Apr. 29 2010, 10:35 PM)
    Well the True Ending in Cross Edge was an extra what... 40 somewhat hours of Gameplay that you don't get to do.

Is this one just a new boss?
    6 required bosses and a lot of "optional" bosses.

It requires some grinding, but if you're on normal not a lot. I spent around 5-7 hours grinding to finish the bosses in Normal Mode. If you are on Hard Mode and go all the way down to the bottom of the Boundary Zone it will take a good deal more time. The bottom of the Boundary zone is only accessible in Hard Mode.

@ Jeffrey - Heh, I was having a brainfart when I wrote this because for the LIFE OF ME I couldn't remember what the name of the beast protector was, so thanks! He's pretty awesome.

@ Everyone else - I'll be frank - I'm not expecting much from this game in terms of story of the dating elements. In fact, I expected the dating element to be really shallow, if for the sole fact that whatever they did give me was going to be full of sexual innuendo and awkwardness. Then again, I'm a jerk about stuff. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/tounge2.gif[/img] I think the combat so far is the best element of the game, and as I play more I'll try and elaborate as best I can. Two hours really isn't enough to explain the story in full. Hopefully next time I'll speak more in depth about what's going on in the game, dating-wise, and more combat goodness.

Also, even if it is my "blog" feel free to discuss as you wish. The point of the blogs is to generate discussion after all. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Member Member
    It seems interesting, but I can't see spending the 45&#036; to DL it in the PSN. I think I will put it on my gamefly list and leave it at that! Thanks for all ya'lls input on it!

So Nyx, why aren't you sold on Ellis being your "lady"?

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Acathala @ Apr. 30 2010, 7:56 AM)
    So Nyx, why aren't you sold on Ellis being your "lady"?
    'cause right now she looks like jailbait. When she's not jailbait looking, we shall see.

Well she isn't a love interest in t least the first 2 generations. (the manuel points this out), could be one of the later generations. I also have a big feeling that she has a little bit more to do with the whole soul Breeding thing cause from her profile which you unlock when you meet her and worse yet tells you <span class="spoiler">she stays with the family a long time</span>
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

<span class="spoiler">Ellis is not a choice for Romantic interest until Generation 5. But at that point, you have the choice of every female character who hasn't been a wife choice in previous generations. For example, Dyshana if you're on the true ending path, Vira-Lorr, Ellis, the like.</span>

Okay so I DLed the PS3 version of this to compare. AND OH MY GOD it looks so much better, it actually looks ... vibrant rather then slightly ... depressing when it comes to the color pallete.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Just for the sake of it, we're playing the PS3 version. It did take nearly 3 hours to download and 45 minutes to install, but that's all I had to complain about.

I hope to put more into it tonight. Maybe I should read the manual.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Going to let every one know there are some FREE DLC for the game on the PSN Store. Not sure about whats on Xbox store as I can't connect to Windows Live or Xbox Live.

I was told there are breasts. I seek confirmation.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote:
    Just for the sake of it, we're playing the PS3 version. It did take nearly 3 hours to download and 45 minutes to install, but that's all I had to complain about.
    Yeah, if I ever get this at all, it's going to be on 360. I can download MULTIPLE games on Steam in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:
    'cause right now she looks like jailbait. When she's not jailbait looking, we shall see.
    For those of us who haven't been following every bit of game art, define. Is she "looks legal but isn't" jailbait or is she "emementary to junior high, WTF are you doing?" jailbait?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.