Thread: RPG Backtrack - Episode 16

Do you like puzzling dungeons, Camelot's penchant for user-friendly menus, some of the GBA's best-ever graphics, possibly Motoi Sakuraba's finest hour for compositions, Djinni searches, and a story that really takes its time to get going but becomes quite interesting? If any of these things sound interesting, listen to us talk some Golden Sun.

RPG Backtrack - Episode 16: "Brightly Shines the Sun"
    Subscribe to the feed
    Subscribe in iTunes

"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Do you want to do this stupid thing?
    No.
    Oh, c'mon, you know you want to do this stupid thing.
    No.
    Buuuuut, I want to do this stupid thing and you should come with me!
    No.
    I'm your best friend! You have to come with me!
    No.
    Do you want to do this stupid thing?
    No.
    Oh, c'mon, you know you want to do this stupid thing.
    OK FINE YES.

I'm with JC. That's pretty much all I remember about the story, too. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Good one Ocelot.

Social Link with JCServant +1! Level up!!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I still need to listen to this since I'm not at home and can't put it on my iPod. I guess it's because I played both games only a few months ago, but I found the plot itself very intriguing. The characters though...yeah, I thought they were kind of shallow. I'll never understand where it's giant shipping base came from.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Oh, by the way, I gave more time to the music from the game(s), which I play between the segments. Do you all like this? Or do you like them shorter?

Does this cover both games in the series?
    Final Night

Currently Playing: Persona 4 Golden

twitter.com/final_night

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Indeed it does. Any games that come with a password system to let you transfer data have to be discussed as a whole, not singly.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

THe start of RPGamer is just like RPG Encyclopedia, stopped cause the person doesn't have the time.

Question 1: Have any companies actually said "Stop stuff."

I beat both the games without re-aligning any of the Djinns, also the Strategy guide from Prima sucks for this, missing items/weapons that drop off of monster. I got a super rare item from the Minotaurs in the last dungeon thats more powerful then any of the other weapons. Not listed.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(JuMeSyn @ May 21 2010, 1:52 PM)
    Indeed it does. Any games that come with a password system to let you transfer data have to be discussed as a whole, not singly.
    I can't wait to listen to this one, still remember the theme music.
    I hope the battle system doesn't get hated on [img]non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(greybrick @ May 21 2010, 3:57 PM)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(JuMeSyn @ May 21 2010, 1:52 PM)
    I can't wait to listen to this one, still remember the theme music.
    I hope the battle system doesn't get hated on [img]non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    No worries. The battle system doesn't get hated on. Can't say the same for the story.

[img]non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] <-- innocent smile

Member Member
    Rip on the story all you want, I remember an old man, a volcano, and a bunch of long-haired men.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Okay, this time I did listen to the podcast. Great job overall, but I thought the music segements were a tad too long.

As for the music, I think that it sounds similar enough to Tales of Symphonia and Phantasia. Not all tracks, but a good portion does. I also think the Baten Kaitos games are Sakuraba's real music triumps.

"Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I didn't mind the length of the musical interludes. That seems ok.

I still haven't gotten around to playing the second game here. I wonder if they'll be any update on the third at E3?
    Final Night

Currently Playing: Persona 4 Golden

twitter.com/final_night

The music was a bit long for my tastes. And it also tends to be a lot louder than the rest of the cast- it's a bit distracting if there's music and voices; is there a way to fix that?

And it never occurred to me to plug my DS into my car stereo. I'll have to try that!

Out of curiosity, What part do you mean, specifically? When it comes to voice/music at the same time There's music during the opening skits, there's the intro, and then there's about 5 secs of overlap when the voices fades in/out with the music.

All the music's louder, but the transitions between voice and music within the cast make it sometimes hard to hear what's being said. I didn't notice that on this cast though. It's just that sometimes I have to turn the volume up for my phones, and well, it can hurt when it suddenly gets louder. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Yeah, balancing all the voices with the background music (when it's used) is something I try to focus on hard. I know a lot of podcasts don't ever do that for that very reason. What makes the challenge harder is that I've noticed different volume level differences between the two depending on whether or not I listen to it on headphones or speakers. And if that isn't fun enough, I often run into issues where one speaker (usually myself) is louder than everyone else. I find myself often turning the volume up and down when I listen for editing...so, I work to even that stuff out so others don't have to do the same.

It drives me crazy with some soundtracks. We have the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack....the volume levels in that one is all over the board! If you're not careful, you'll turn it up to hear something, and get blasted a minute later.

So, if you find something specific, let me know. Thanks!!

I thought the soundtrack from the Golden Sun games were pretty impressive. Specifically the battle atop Jupiter Lighthouse, the world map theme after Jupiter Lighthouse, and the Epilogue music played during the credits were my faves. Magma Rock was pretty funky too.

Flash + Granite or Shade is the most abusive Djinn combination in the game. The easiest way to beat the final boss on Hard mode is to split the barrier Djinn between 4 characters, having 2 fighting at the same. Just use Flash and go about your business, and the next turn have the next character use Granite while resetting Flash. You get up a virtually unbreakable constant barrier, have someone set to heal constantly, make Felix a Disciple with the Sol Blade, and spam Megiddo all over the place. Easy squeezy.

Which Shadowrun game are you covering in the next backtrack, Sega or Nintendo (I assume you're ignoring the XBox 360 shooter)? Either way I'm looking forward to it as it's such a great setting, despite what William Gibson might think of mixing elves with cyberpunk.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    We're covering both, actually.
    I'd still rank Motoi Sakuraba's work on Shining Force III as my favorite example of his material, but since there is no OST for the game and Saturn owners are pretty scarce, not many people have heard it. Only a game rip exists somewhere out there should anyone be curious.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.