Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack - Episode 18

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Fun times. I apologize in advance for some of the sound quality issues and whatnot. We experienced some technical difficulties which required a very high degree of editing prowess to fix. I don't think it will happen again. Go, go mighty patches!!

PHANTASY STAR II IS AMAZING! I'LL NOT HEAR OTHERWISE! PLAY IT NOW!

Nergal has spoken. All must listen. All must obey [img]non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nergal's words carry no legal weight outside Australia and may be disregarded by citizens of other nations without penalty, however.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    My room is a not an abyss, I know exactly where everything is. As for your CHA score I'm gonna say its a 38DD.

and to really throw you for a loop; tetrology is also a valid option for a four-part series, though personally, I will always prefer Douglas Adam's solution with his famous trilogy in five parts.

Nice one, FS. I'll have to remember that one for the next late night D&D session.

Were we THAT hard on PS 1-3? It's like people are shunning what I thought would prove a pretty popular podcast.
    I'll concede I hadn't touched 1 and 2 in years, but 3 is fresh in my head, and what I said stands.

1 was covered in good detail, with the most notable aspects discussed at length. There could've been a bit more about 2 (including gushing praise [img]non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img] ) but I guess it's hard to talk about games you have played in ages and the only things you remember about them is how damned hard they are. The various updates of 2 made it a bit easier since most include a save anywhere feature.

I'd like to correct an error I heard in the PS2 section. It wasn't overly major or anything, but the notoriously hard penultimate boss of PS2 (the one in the chest) is Dark Force. Mother Brain comes almost straight after and is comparatively easy.

Well great cast this time again! But like Nergal say, not enough praise for 1 and 2 LOL
    Just for the info, there were not a multiplayer in shadowrun, we just played together and try to find our way around thinking the best way we could for every occasion.

For the fight music in the PS3 I think it was coming from the difficulty of the fight, there were 3 of them, one were when you had the disadvantage or when you get surprise, one for when it we were on equal ground and one for when we were stronger and they did change as the fight was going on as enemies was getting weaker.

Final Fantasy 8... well that one, the story was good, but the way it was made with the junction and all... Was not good because we could not use our spell or else our stat go down and have the draw again! Everything were levelling with us, so the difficulty was there, but not the fun, well not as much fun as other games...

And thanks for reading me and commenting it [img]non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    http://backloggery.com/spare/sig.gif

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I admit, my knowledge of two wasn't a lot. It's the one I had the least experience with, but I knew all the spoilers for. 1 and 4 are the only ones I've played in great lengths so I went with my experiences and what I knew about them. 3 I will one day play, but I'm in no hurry whatsoever to try it out anytime soon.

FEAR OUR FF8 PODCAST! Where Nyx will complain about how the women offended her once more.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    But... but Nyx, how could you possibly complain about Rinoa, Selphie, and Quistis?

::fails to say that with a straight face::

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Good show. This episode made me fire up my Genesis and play my copy of Phantasy Star IV again.

Regarding the topic of the next show, Final Fantasy VIII was the first game in the Final Fantasy series (that we got here at that point) that I hated. Almost all of my complaints are echoed in the review of the game by the Spoony One (http://spoonyexperiment.com/category...-fantasy-viii/). That was the first RPG I put down and never picked it up again. One infamous scene (y'all should know which one it is) made me turn the game off and I could never bring myself to turn it on again.

We take pride if our words make Phantasy Star IV see more attention. Lots of people who never played Genesis RPGs may not have tried the game, after all.

Oh hey... BTW...

As you know, we love comments from the listeners about the games we talk about. You can always write comments here about our upcoming show (in this case, FFVIII) and we'll read them on the show. Furthermore, you can record a 2 minute MP3 and email it to me.

I think I have another option too, but I need someone to test it. If you add me as a skype friend (jcservant7), you should be able to call and leave me a message (unless I'm online, of course). I should be able to record and save that with my computer. Then, I would add it into the show. If you're interested in trying this out, and have a strong opinion about FFVIII, let me know!

Also, Sam forgot to mention that Lutz (called "Noah" in Sega&reg;'s poor english translation of Phantasy Star 1) appears in Phantasy Star 2, by name. If you forgot where Lutz/Noah appears (In PSII), he is the refugee esper who helps out Eusis (known as "Rolf" in Sega&reg;'s <span style="text-decoration:underline">POOR ENGLISH</span> translation of Phantasy Star 2). Also... Langrisser wasn't the first Langrisser game. The Crest of Gaia, for the TurboGrafx (PC Engine in Japan) was. Also, I'm happy to see another Langrisser fan. Another thing, shame on you Phil! How dare you cut someone off and deliberately ignore them. Mike was reading you the Engrish-esque boxart. And Mike, the text adventures (of PSII) and Phantasy Star Gaiden, as well as Phantasy Star Adventure, have been fan translated to english.

I'm still not happy with you Phil &gt;[img]non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    I will feel better, as quote the famed writer, "Nevermore, nevermore, quoth the raven, nevermore."
    English: \"&#39;Sup, dude?\"-Myself Japanese:「どうした、ヤツ?」-私自身 (\"Do shi ta, yatsu?\")

Sorry if my Japanese is not perfect, but at least it&#39;s better than Google® Translate&#39;s (However, that may just be because people see a game title/famous thing [ex. Bokoujou Monogatari {lit. Farm Story}, is translated by Google®, as \"Harvest\" {Likely because Bokoujou Monogatari&#39;s English title is \"Harvest Moon\"})

Thanks for your feedback, Tharthan! Though you probably didn't mean to, you posted this as we were recording the next backtrack, so we were able to read your comments on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:
    How dare you cut someone off and deliberately ignore them.
    Man... You thought I just took away Mike last ice cream on a hot summer day! [img]non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] How dare I, indeed! That seems so unlike me. After reading your letter on air, I mentioned a feedback issue as the reason I cut him off. However, after re-listening to the clip in question, I realized that my rebuttle to your missive was somewhat incorrect. The reason it sounds like I cut him off was most certainly a technical issue, however, not a feedback distortion, par se.

You see, for some reason, my voice was recording a few seconds ahead of everyone else's throughout the podcast. I did not realize it until the recording was finished, and I was editing. In many clips, I was able to delete myself out, move a few things around or just leave myself in without having a noticeable impact. However, on the ending where Mike was reading, I was unable to edit out the fact that it recorded my voice over his own before he finished. If I truly cut Mike off during his reading as you assert, Mike most certainly would have addressed such an egregious transgression on my part before we quit recording.

I hope this restores your faith in our journalistic and professional integrity! Don't worry, Mike and I are friends, and are certainly not afraid to lay out some smackdown if we feel the other is getting out of line. Once again, you can proclaim to your friends, far and wide, that you listen to RPGBacktrack, where we set the standard of excellence in podcasting professionalism for the rest of the internet community!

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Tharthan @ Jun. 29 2010, 10:12 PM)
    Langrisser wasn't the first Langrisser game. The Crest of Gaia, for the TurboGrafx
    Oh that nice the know I wish we did have more on our side too, well correct me if I am wrong but this was the Warsong game on the genesis!
    It funny to see it change to robot fight!!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    http://backloggery.com/spare/sig.gif

Vixen 357 isn't a Langrisser game, it's just made by the same people. Even if I hadn't been thinking of that connection, the robots have 1-10 numbers indicating their HP, even though they have hundreds of HP - somebody liked having a quick indicator of health, I guess.
    Warsong is indeed Langrisser 1.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Playing these on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is a huge plus. IIRC the originals for Phantasy Star 2 and 3 didn't have save-anywhere functionality, but SUGC lets you save anywhere via its own save state system. Sega Genesis Collection on the PS2 had the same thing, which makes Sword of Vermillion actually playable.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.