Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack - Episode 19

gunchukus exist, check out some Bayonetta gameplay on youtube.

good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(breaka666 @ Jul. 04 2010, 9:41 AM)
    gunchukus exist, check out some Bayonetta gameplay on youtube.
    Not to mention rocket launcher tonfas! [img]non-cgi/emoticons/inlove.gif[/img]

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    no mentions of how stupid and impractical the gunblade is as a weapon? *tsk*

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Fowl Sorcerous @ Jul. 03 2010, 7:51 PM)
    It's more practical than Rinoa's weapon...

@clix - actually I hear dog cannons are being tested in the turkish military.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I need a gunblade here in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(breaka666 @ Jul. 03 2010, 9:31 PM)
    @clix - actually I hear dog cannons are being tested in the turkish military.
    The dog cannon isn't the most ridiculous part. Her weapons are wrist-launched chakrams that somehow return to her and perfect latch back onto her wrist-launcher.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I want Quistis' whip. That was the coolest thing about that character. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

For the record, the scene I quit at was the orphanage reveal scene. As for the show, I thoroughly enjoy it when the game that shall not be named gets torn apart.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Sir Erdrick @ Jul. 04 2010, 4:30 AM)
    For the record, the scene I quit at was the orphanage reveal scene. As for the show, I thoroughly enjoy it the game that shall not be named gets torn apart.
    High-five! That's where I quit, too.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    You know, Nyx, there's no need to hold back. Tell us how you really feel about the FF8 women. [img]non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Hot teachers with whips! [img]non-cgi/emoticons/inlove.gif[/img]
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote:(Fowl Sorcerous @ Jul. 04 2010, 10:51 AM)
    Stupid, impractical, and yet with a long history behind it...

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    just because some idiots built them, it doesn't make them good ideas...

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Yeah, it's easy to see why they fell out of favor quickly.

That shield pistol looks like it might be pretty cool.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I actually liked the junction system, myself. I won't try defending much else from the game.

The only thing I didn't like about junctioning spells, was that it seemed like you were being punished for making use of them. Which in turn promotes that boring mash Fight to win strategy.
    There really needed to be some sort of buffer, so you could use most of the charges whilst losing very little from the stat.

Well there also needed to be some sort of fast draw system too. Drawing for 11 turns (minimum,) might sound fine for powerful spells like Meteor and Full-Life, but to ask that of basic ones like Fire and Cure is a bit off putting.

Still I guess that is what I ended up doing to get through the game. I only heard about a more minimalistic game being better right before going into space, so it was a little too late to try. (I have better games to replay, before trying this again!)

No mention of Triple Triad at all? I thought that was one of the better parts of the game, although a little more than a time consuming distraction.

•Mr. Batty is sizing up the situation! Mr. Batty felt a little strange... (- Earthbound)

I never found Drawing to be all that much of a burden. I just drew a few times each battle in an area so it didn't drag much, using whoever was most effective at getting stuff. Between battles I'd redistribute magic to the other members that weren't drawing. The only one that gave me much trouble on my last playthrough was Life, which few enemies had, so I had to do all the drawing in a single battle. It's a very interesting idea, but perhaps could have been executed better.

I like most of the characters in the game (Zell excepted), but never could get into the story much. And this game has one of the best soundtracks ever; Uematsu's best work.

Another great podcast!

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I'm glad the Spoony review got at least a small mention. While everyone picks on FF8, I must say that hearing Noah Antwiller yelling about receiving a magical lamp from his professor which contains THE DEVIL remains one of my favorite parts of his review.

That said, I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy 8 a lot more than FF7. I started when CronoTrigger, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasy 6 were advertised everywhere and Final Fantasy 6, as cliche as it is to admit this, became my standard for judging games. So when I picked up Final Fantasy 7, it was a huge let down compared to the others. I think by Final Fantasy 8 I was willing to accept that Final Fantasy wasn't all on the same quality spectrum as 6, and was willing to forgive some of its flaws. Now, it definitely isn't one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, and I think it probably deserves a lot of the criticism it gets, but if I had to play 7 or 8 I would replay 8 in a heartbeat.

I really enjoyed the discussion about avoiding levelling and how it made the game more enjoyable. I always find it weird when a game "levels" with you -- how does that help you at all? In fact, I think that surprised me most about Final Fantasy Tactics the first time I played through it. I was having fun exploring the various classes and abilities, but every time I levelled, those chocobos and knights in Mandalia Plains levelled, too. And while I kept my "rusty sword," they had Iceblades. It's a bit weird to have the strategy of being able to level past difficult sections removed in an RPG, I think it confuses some people.

I think, ultimately, all I got out of Final Fantasy 8 was a strong dislike for ellipses and the belief that if being a jerk isn't good enough for you, you can always show just how awful you are by breaking out Squall's patented 5 ellipse attack. ".. ..." -- for when "..." just isn't good enough to show how little you care.