Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 20 - Vampire Killer

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 20 - Vampire Killer

A whip may be the preferred method of fighting Dracula's minions, but Glyphs and Souls will do it just fine also. Hear all about the best methods of slaying, and being slain by, undead on the DS.
    http://www.rpgamer.com/backtrack/2010/backtrack020.mp3
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    First post! Woot!

Let us know what you think about this week's show... and write your questions about DragonForce or Stonekeep here!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I must admit that I found Portrait of Ruin to be the more offensive game style wise, as they tried to make it even more anime-like. Dawn had an anime art style, but didn't have an annoying girl sidekick making horrible anime-style facial expressions, nor did it have the sort of corny script that Ruin had. Yeah, Castlevania games aren't exactly plot centered, but goodness PoR tried way too hard to be an anime. Don't even get me started on Jonathan whining for most of the game about how he wasn't strong enough to use the Vampire Killer effectively.

A few other miscellaneous factoids. Jonathan Morris was apparently the son of John Morris from Castlevania: Bloodlines, and Wind would later be revealed to be Eric Lacarde, who was the other playable character in Bloodlines.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 07-17-2010 at 02:43 PM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Is it the lack of a contest that's keeping interest down? Sorry, we kinda lost track of time. I can still come up with one, though.
    Perhaps it's because I had Aria of Sorrow's character designs to compare with the Saturday morning cartoon redesign done in Dawn of Sorrow, but Portrait of Ruin's look didn't offend me. It didn't impress me either, but my feelings on the game are pretty clear now.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

7 or 8. 7, or, 8.... why must you be so cruel?

Although mildly interested in a low effect FF8, I guess I would rather be forced into playing FF7 too.
    (Will probably end up stopping before the 2nd half like my previous attempts though!)

FFIV DS seemed too soon after FFIV Advanced for me to want to play through another version 3 more times.
    I think I was also playing The World Ends with You still, which sounded the better of the two games back then. But maybe not one for Phil. < Clean up on aisle four >

Those start up screens are always a bit annoying, whether dying, resetting, or just turning the game on.
    I know companies do need to advertise who made it, but they should at least let us mash a button to skip though the animations quicker.

It may be the same amount of time overall, but drawing bit by bit DOES ease the burden of drawing in FF8. It also helps that the game has some of the best battle music ever.

If I had to choose between 7 and 8, I'd probably choose 8, because I want to explore the battle system more and because I technically haven't finished it yet. And because it has better music and graphics. And because 7 has gotten so much more attention with all the sequels.

And Phil, you will have to keep stealing in FF12. Sorry. Some enemies do give you more valuable items- skeletons and zombies of all varieties, Alraunes, and Mesmenirs have good stuff. Chaining in the Lhusu mines is pretty profitable and at 12 hours you're about there, right? Setting your player character to Steal is useful IF you have equipped everyone with a Attack>Leader's Target gambit, as your player character will steal once from all enemies within range and your other characters will ensure they quickly stop being 100% health, so that you don't get stuck so often stealing from enemies that no longer have anything to steal. It's still not a perfect system; it will tend to drag EVERY monster within reach into battle with you, instead of them waiting until you hit them to attack.

And I can just imagine Phil sitting back in his chair, the evil podcast mastermind, petting his cat a la Dr. Claw.

Entertaining as always!