Thread: Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - Impression

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - Impression

Anyone can promise exciting new classes in a game, but did Atlus deliver? RPGamer turns off autopilot and rests at a campsite to give you this impression from B10 of the labyrinth.

Impression
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 07-19-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Wow. Sounds like they've made some good changes! I'm looking forward to this.

Sounds interesting. Does one need to have played the other two first or are these games stand-alone?

All three games are stand-alone. The stories, characters, etc have nothing in common and don't even seem to be in same world, considering each game has an Yggdrasil in it. So far, I wouldn't say that the learning curve and difficulty are tougher in EO3 than it was in EO1 either. I'm less than halfway through, though, and EO2 got nasty hard near the end.

In the trailers for this game, there's plenty of footage of sailing a ship around a grid-based ocean/sea and I've been curious as to how that would fit into the strata system the series uses. Can you shed any light on this?

Sure. I didn't talk about it because I haven't been doing it much, and for me it feels more like a short diversion than something that adds to the game.

While in town, one of the menu options is to go to the port and set sail. You bring with you food and a special item. The type of food you bring determines how many turns you get at sea; when you run out of turns you are teleported back to town. Exploring the ocean is set up just like exploring the labyrinths: turn-based movement, square tiles, you draw the map on the bottom screen, etc. A big difference is that there are no random encounters, and you progress by visiting island tiles in the ocean to get better food and complete quests. You can fish too, which brings in some money, and the special item you bring can increase the money you get while sailing.

My take on it is that exploring a large ocean for fish isn't very interesting. It was a useful way to get cash early in the game, but once I got a Farmer at a decent level, it was much quicker to get money in the labyrinth (plus when you sell items from the labyrinth you unlock more equipment -- selling fish doesn't let you buy the next suit of chainmail). I haven't gone back to sailing since. Another minus for me was that the sailing segments had no connection with the labyrinth exploring, aside from netting you small amounts of cash. It's cool that it gives you a sense of your surroundings -- other EOs told you what the world outside was like, but EO3 lets you see that, yes, you are indeed on a small island surrounded by an ocean -- but that doesn't really make it less gimmicky or more worthwhile.

It might get more fun later on as you unlock more food, discover more areas in the ocean, and get into the quests there. I'll give it another shot before review time.

The varied classes was probably my favorite thing about the first 2 games - glad they continue to be interesting.

Glad to hear that the sailing isn't a big part. I was skeptical of the water theme. I'm excited again.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    While in town, one of the menu options is to go to the port and set sail. You bring with you food and a special item. The type of food you bring determines how many turns you get at sea; when you run out of turns you are teleported back to town. Exploring the ocean is set up just like exploring the labyrinths: turn-based movement, square tiles, you draw the map on the bottom screen, etc. A big difference is that there are no random encounters, and you progress by visiting island tiles in the ocean to get better food and complete quests. You can fish too, which brings in some money, and the special item you bring can increase the money you get while sailing.
    Ah, ok. I was wondering if the sailing might have been linked to the dungeon crawling aspect . . . maybe having to sail to a new island for each stratum or something like that. Seems odd that it's just an optional diversion.

I didn't get around to playing EO1 until last year and have held off on EO2 as it just seemed more of the same. I just wasn't ready for another 6 strata so quickly. I probably would have picked it up eventually if the 3rd game hadn't been announced, but now I'm just going to skip to EO3.