Thread: Carpe Fulgur to Localize Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Carpe Fulgur to Localize Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Carpe Fulgur's new to the niche RPG beat, but is localizing a title that may interest those who enjoy the Atelier series. Meet Recette, the girl who may be living under a cardboard box if she can't pay her father's overwhelming debt within five week's time.

Story.

Carpe Fulgur, huh? How funny!
    Maybe a more interesting link is this one (the one from the article but with the Recettear chopped off).
    And it should be noted this is their first game.

I just downloaded the demo. If I find it fun, I might decide to buy the game when it comes out. I think these guys are taking an admirable risk with their commercial develop and if the game is worth playing, they should be rewarded for their efforts.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

There will be a demo impression going up either today or tomorrow from us. Be on the look out!

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Yay! Just saw this on Rock, Paper, Shotgun earlier today.

Looking forward to checking out the demo this weekend, but it sounds like something I'll enjoy.

BTW, when are we getting some Darkspore coverage?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

The game has a very high cuteness factor. The cuteness is enhanced with the Japanese voices which I normally abhor. In any case, the game's cuteness certainly wins it points in its favor.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

I look forward to giving this a go. I seem to be the staffer with an affinity for playing all the super cutesy titles. :P

As for Darkspore, yes there will be cover.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I seem to be the staffer with an affinity for playing all the super cutesy titles. :P
    Aren't you the resident Atelier fan too?

As for Darkspore, yes there will be cover.
    Yays.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Hehe! Gaijin is the resident Atelier expert and he was the one who made me into a big fan of their titles. So yes, this game would be a total Nyx game.

As for Darkspore, I'm training the new newsie as fast as I can!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Hm, I'm gonna have to check this one out too. *needs to keep up on the J-indie news more...*

I would also like to sample this demo.
    But my PC might not meet the sys-reqs.

Most of the game is 2D graphics only so it's not likely to be a problem.

The game is very easy on computer resources.

I was going to say, so long as you have a processor and video card from the past decade, the game should run. You may have to turn some options down, but it should run.

Also, hi guys, I've had an account here forever. Feels a little surreal to be featured on RPGamer now, since I first started reading it during the Red Dragon Review days. From high school fanboy to being featured on RPGamer - who'd have thunk it?
    Last edited by SpaceDrake; 07-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.

I was checking out the hardware requirements on the official site and the primary thought I came with was how forgiving the requirements are. It makes me wonder when the game was released in Japan.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Fulgur FAQ
    Hey, is the title theme different? I tried out the Japanese demo of Recettear, and the title seems different...

Indeed! Quite a few of our testers (and, well, our localization staff) weren't very fond of the original title theme to the game, so the crew over at Team m_box, who handed the original music for the game, were awesome enough to put together a new, instrumental version of the game's main theme to serve as the title song for the American version! We hope you enjoy it!
    *Chuckles* Looks like they're going the Tales route.

What are the system requirements for the game?

The system requirements are as follows:
    - Processor: Pentium 4 1.7ghz or Athlon XP 1700+ (or equivalent processor)
    - System Memory: 256MB of system RAM (512 reccomended for Windows Vista and 7)
    - Video Card: DirectX 8.1-compatible video card of any type with at least 64 megabytes of video RAM; Nvidia and ATI tested
    - Sound: DirectX 8.1-compatible sound card/motherboard chip (very few computers should have problems)
    - Other: DirectX 8.1-compatible gamepad required for playing with gamepad
    - Operating System: Windows XP, Vista and 7 supported
    If you can't run this bad boy, I don't know what to say... *Laughs* These are the easiest system requirements I've seen in years.

Does Recettear feature any form of copy protection?
    Recettear does not feature copy protection (or "DRM") of any kind. Neither Carpe Fulgur nor EasyGameStation believe in compromising the user's privacy and freedom to use their computers as they wish.

But doesn't that mean I can just pirate your game?
    or
    But aren't you afraid of getting pirated into oblivion?

Well, we'll say this: Recettear would be pirated regardless of whether we used copy protection or not. We're adults and we understand that our work will be stolen by someone who doesn't want to pay for it; that's how the Internet works in this day and age. Any prospective pirates who enjoy our work, however, must realize that we can only continue to produce localizations for games - and possibly help foster new projects on our own - if we make enough money to make a living at it.
    It's good to see them understanding that DRM is a useless idea. I really hope they get rewarded for this thinking.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
    Also, hi guys, I've had an account here forever. Feels a little surreal to be featured on RPGamer now, since I first started reading it during the Red Dragon Review days. From high school fanboy to being featured on RPGamer - who'd have thunk it?
    Whoa! I went over to your forums and felt like the name was totally familiar. Now I know why