Thread: EA Announces Darkspore

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar

EA Announces Darkspore

Didn't get enough out of the original Spore? EA has announced a new action-RPG in the franchise titled Darkspore, inspired by the creature editor from the original game.

EA Announces Darkspore

This just sounds...
    lame.

I thought for a moment that I must have fallen asleep for eight months and woken up on April 1, 2011.

Seriously? A sci-fi action RPG sequel to Spore?

*Sigh* With the semi-suckfest that was FFXIII, it seems that the traditional CRPG of the 1997-2007 era is on life-support.

Judging from what little I've seen of this here and over at Gamepro, it actually sounds like it might be fun. I'm a sucker for Diablo style hack and slashes though, so in my opinion the more of those the merrier.

I have no idea about anything about this game at this point, except this description, so it's impossible to know whether it is going to be a suckfest or not.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    Judging from what little I've seen of this here and over at Gamepro, it actually sounds like it might be fun. I'm a sucker for Diablo style hack and slashes though, so in my opinion the more of those the merrier.
    This is my opinion as well. Skeptically optimistic. Really really is going to depend on how the content creation system works. However, a much more focused game using the Spore concepts will probably play a lot better than the previous game.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I still don't get why they're attaching it to Spore. It's not like that brand has any long-term significance, as people were thoroughly underwhelmed by it. They could have made a new IP and probably been as well off, if not better.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Well, the thing that I remember most people really digging about Spore was the character creation and customization engine. Linking that into a game that's more game than the strange E.V.O.-meets-RTS that Spore was isn't, at least in my head, a terrible idea.

Not to mention that EA probably doesn't see Spore as a huge failure. It sold over 3 million iirc, has a decent Metacritic (84 as of, well, right now), and an article for 2009 talks about over 100 million user uploaded creatures and buildings.

Putting that kind of user-content dedication that Sims and Spore have into an RPG can't be that bad

I don't think many will argue that Spore sold poorly, or even rated below average. However, it lacks longevity. How many people do you know that played it past say....a week or two? A month later were they still? Did they clock more then 20, 30 hours? Know anyone who went back to it? I think those are more pertinent details then units and scores.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I don't think many will argue that Spore sold poorly, or even rated below average. However, it lacks longevity. How many people do you know that played it past say....a week or two? A month later were they still? Did they clock more then 20, 30 hours? Know anyone who went back to it? I think those are more pertinent details then units and scores.
    20-30 hours is roughly the same amount of time most people put into the average RPG, so I'd say that they're on the right track.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    20-30 hours is roughly the same amount of time most people put into the average RPG, so I'd say that they're on the right track.
    The average RPG is hardly what they were looking for. The average RPG is a single player experience, and 20/30 hours is usually what it takes to see everything it has to offer (unless it's a beast like the games Bethesda makes), whereas Spore was meant to be a continuous, vibrant community like the Sims. Most people who got the game likely just didn't get what they expected. I'm also worried about this as it's the first major project Maxis has been involved with since Will Wright left IIRC (he was still there for Sims 3, wasn't he?).

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Will wasn't heavily involved in Sims 3. The Sims is developed at a separate studio. Darkspore does look interesting. I'll echo the comments here that a Spore game with a bit more "meat" on it could be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Is the average RPG actually 20 hours? I would have thought it closer to 40 myself. However, the time played parallel wasn't really my point; when you're getting ready to launch a second game, potentially a series...the last thing you want is people to think back to the first game and how quickly they got bored, you know?

hmmm, the first person said not yet, but I read an interview of one of the top employees at EA, can't remember his name now and he stated that EA is putting Securom on ALL of their games and will continue to do so from now on.

I wish I could remember where I read that interview, but I can't, sorry. I am not going to buy it though unless I know for sure that it doesn't have it.