Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - Demo Impression

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - Demo Impression

Carpe Fulgur may be new to the localization game, but its first project, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale seems to be generating some buzz. Check out RPGamer's impression of this charming tale about a girl, a fairy and shiny objects.

Demo Impression

Shiny objects?! Sold.

Of course NO ONE recognizes the insert image in cutscene #2 (the backstory cutscene). NO ONE. Seriously, if you've played the game in question, how could you not recognize it.

Favorite Line
    Recette: So I should try to get a dinner party invitation, right?
    Tear: Just make sure "Recette" isn't on the menu.
    This whole bit is one of what are probably many so bad it's good Recette analogies. This one is "Getting an adventurer's business card is like getting a dinner party invitation."

Other Favorite Line:
    Tear: (Use the door to leave the shop)
    Recette: But I wanted to go through the window like an action hero! To Eternity, and...! [cut off by Tear]
    Tear: Just use the door, will you?

I couldn't help but smile at the ojou-sama at the end.

That to eternity line was pretty funny. I played a little with the demo, but didn't get too far with it. I'll definitely put more time into it when I get home from work.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Of course NO ONE recognizes the insert image in cutscene #2 (the backstory cutscene). NO ONE. Seriously, if you've played the game in question, how could you not recognize it.
    Um... it looked a LOT like a bit from the intro sequence to Dragon Quest 3, to me.

--Also, I've played several games in this genre, on PSX, PS2, and DS, and I have to say this game's graphics and general design are blowing most of the competition out of the water. Job VERY well done.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 07-23-2010 at 03:54 AM.

I've finally spent some quality time with the demo and I have to say I think they did a job well done. The localization is very well done and the dialogue all feels natural. I also like the dungeon crawling portion of the game. I will say that I happen to think the visuals are superior to what the Playstation One could produce so I'll have to disagree with the writer of the demo impression there.

My only real concern at this point is getting enough money to pay off my first debt. I am at day 6 and close to 3,000 Pix away from clearing the debt.

When this game is released, I will likely pony up the money to buy this game. I think it is a great deal of fun and its cuteness is irresistible.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

Talk about art imitating life.
    Paying off debt? Hello!

I tried out the demo, and I think it's quite a bit of fun. A nice little time killer, and the dungeon crawling is actually pretty good. It was super easy to get the money though.. just go through the dungeon once, and you're good.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Didn't get very far into the demo (only made it to day 2), but I really do wish the font could be improved. It takes forever to page through all the text in the opening tutorials. Definitely interested in trying this some more, but the amount of text you have to wade through before you get into the game was definitely off putting.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Just doesn't feel like a PC RPG, does it? Looks like it would work better on a console. Will probably show up on Live some day.

It feels like a JRPG on a PC yes. Let's not muddy the waters by proclaiming this doesn't feel like a PC RPG because it lacks dialogue trees and the illusion of choice.

If I have time tonight, I'm going to try playing at a higher res. Was playing on my lower resolution TV this weekend, so I'm hoping the assets scale up with the resolution. Otherwise, the text box is too small for my liking Maybe if the tutorial weren't giant walls of text I'd be whining less. I dunno. It felt too verbose in terms of setup. I just want to play!

This isn't really a complaint with the people localizing it, just a complaint with the original material.

OK, for some reason every time I get to the point where I enter the Hall of Trials, my frame rate plummets from around 50 to around 5 or less. Actually, 5 is an improvement over the first time it happened, when it gave me a frame rate of 3 fps. I've cleaned up my computer as much as I can, and it's still got such massive slowdown that I can't stand to play the dungeon section

Out of curiosity, Gaijin, what kind of hardware are you running? I heard a report about this once before, and could never figure out what causes it since the game runs just fine on all our test machines.

Also, you may want to try playing in fullscreen rather than windowed mode (or vice versa) by using custom.exe to change some settings; one user reported that switching display modes fixed the problem for him.

Um, my computer's an HP laptop, kinda old by now (circa 2006 when I bought it). Intel T1350, 1.86 GHz, 0.99 GB RAM, running XP version 2002. That help any?

I'll try those fix suggestions when next I have some free time on this machine, thanks! I really do want to enjoy this...

Intel onboard graphics, you say?

*takes notes*

Anyway, yeah, try turning some stuff down and see if it stabilizes. We haven't had any problems on any of our test machines, including a laptop with a Geforce 7000m, so it isn't "just" laptops. (That said, running a game on a lappy is always a risky proposition.)

Played around with the custom settings some more, changed it to fullscreen and set the framerate limit to 30 (which seems to be about what it runs best at in the shop anyway), still got the massive frame-lag as soon as I started up the Hall of Trials.

Gaijin, I just want to make sure: you're running a laptop with Intel integrated graphics? Can you tell me exactly what kind of integrated graphics it has? This is fairly important.

Um.. not sure exactly what you need. This is the most I was able to come up with:

Driver Version: 6.14.10.4543
    Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
    Default Language: English
    DirectX* Version: 9.0
    Physical Memory: 1014 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 10 MB
    Processor: x86 family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Speed: 1862 MHZ

Could try running dxdiag from the Run... command in the start menu. I think that lists the graphics card.

Yeah, that'd do, run Dxdiag (which is the DirectX diagnostic tool) and take a look at the "display" tab. I need to know exactly what kind of video device your laptop is using, as I'm beginning to suspect we may need to add a note to the system requirements about certain integrated chipsets.

Boy, we kind of got off-topic from the original impressions, didn't we?