Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 138: "Too Good For Dragon Quest"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 138: "Too Good For Dragon Quest"

RPGCast - Episode 138: "Too Good For Dragon Quest"

Phil tells about why his mad skills are too much for Dragon Quest IX to handle. Lee Gordon joins us once again and let's us know how good PSN's PSX classics are in Europe. Finally, Square Enix had some sort of announcement about Ogres.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/138

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Too Good For Dragon Quest"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Hey guys awesome show as usual! I'm a little bummed though! The last two weeks I have submitted something that has not been read on air . I understand you probably get a lot of incoming content and have to choose, but this week I was stoked to hear my submitted song, since last week you seemed very excited at the idea of people submitting music. It wasn't played of course and I am merely just wondering if this is something your not willing to play or if you just didn't get the submissions.

Great as ever though!

Don't worry gdawg, I'm sure they'll play it next week, this week was about Phils crazy DQIX skillz. I had to go and get me a gladiator ASAP as soon as I heard Phil was eating people up with his.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

I want to unlock Gladiator, but I have not run into the mobs associated with the quest yet. Looking forward to roflstomping with it.

It was harder than I thought...I went to angel falls and had to immediately put the slimes to sleep/confusion, then tension up to 100(uh, I mean, obligatory OVER 9000!) before I could strike with dragon slash...but besides the frustration, gladiators are pretty cool.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I love myself some Gladiator. I got luck on the slime. It just seemed like wasting too many turns on tension meant the fled more. Thankfully, my dude with the wizard ward or whatever was able to deliver the final blow. It probably took me about 20 minutes. I found that if I didn't find any metal slimes in there, just run out and back in. Usually I'd fine one or two Metal slimes in a run around.

Yeah, I realized on the way to work today it was just whapping the slimes. Now that I have Mikel with both Psych Up and Dragon Slash, the slime kills are coming fast. I'll mop it up tonight and swap someone over to it. Maybe Chris!

To clear up a few things about Dragon Quest IX:
    - From what I have heard, the downloadable quests stay online. Meaning if you started a week later, you'll now have 3 new quests to do (one from week one, two from week two).
    - For people with experience with RPGs, I'd say it gets more difficult in the second to last dungeon. Then during post-game the legacy bosses really make the game hard.

And boooo to not shipping to europe ... not that I'd really want the art book.

I'd love to have a Disgaea artbook. Disgaea has some of the cutest art! What sort of hoops do I have to jump through to get this one?

And yay, Vortex was on again! Good to hear your voice!
    Last edited by lithorose; 07-26-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lithorose View Post
    I'd love to have a Disgaea artbook. Disgaea has some of the cutest art! What sort of hoops do I have to jump through to get this one?

And yay, Vortex was on again! Good to hear your voice!
    The first would be to move to the U.S if you don't already live there.

I have to say, the PSP software library has not been on a decline. That would mean that it was up to start with. If anything the PSP is really growing in terms of games right now, at least in terms of RPGs. The 3DS games are all theoretical right now. Show me something real and then I'll call it great.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

In regard to the Megaten 3DS games, it's probably worth mentioning that Atlus announced new SMT games for both the Nintendo DS and Playstation 3, as well as a Persona game for PSP, when the platformers were first revealed. They didn't get around to actually making them until years later (and we're still waiting on the PS3 one). They've possibly done the same thing again here; announced a whole load of games as placeholders on the offchance they actually feel like making them several years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    In regard to the Megaten 3DS games, it's probably worth mentioning that Atlus announced new SMT games for both the Nintendo DS and Playstation 3, as well as a Persona game for PSP, when the platformers were first revealed. They didn't get around to actually making them until years later (and we're still waiting on the PS3 one). They've possibly done the same thing again here; announced a whole load of games as placeholders on the offchance they actually feel like making them several years from now.
    This. Most of the games on the list that Nintendo sent out are likely placeholders. Yes, I'm sure some are real and in development, but most are just "oh we'd love to put this game and/or series on the system." Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    OK guys, I seriously gotta object to the idea that Infinity Ward is "the good developer" when it comes to Call of Duty. While they were/are certainly a good developer, Treyarch have put out some damned amazing games, and Black Ops looks to be continuing that tradition. I've seen most of the hate toward Treyarch coming from idiot IW fanboys and butthurt PC gamers who never forgave Treyarch for CoD3 being console-only. If anything, I've grown a preference for Treyarch as they aren't as absurd with enemy respawning, making it humanly possible to thin enemy numbers and move about in a more sensible manner.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lithorose View Post
    I'd love to have a Disgaea artbook. Disgaea has some of the cutest art!
    Yeah, the Disgaea art is definitely cute. I actually picked up the Ogre Battle 64 strategy guide because the artwork was so cute. Then I realized that the strategy guide was sort of useless, but it was on clearance and how often do you see cute chibi gryphons? Not often enough! Why are there no games with gryphon protagonists?

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeraphimKitten View Post
    Why are there no games with gryphon protagonists?
    Maybe the same reason there hasn't been a gryphon Pokemon yet?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Great show as always. Keep up the good work. And I won't worry about Nintendo putting out a gimmicky product, it just isn't like them. Look at how well they have done with 3D in the past with the Virtual Boy.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

XBox Live: Xybec Katta
    PSN: Yeltu
    Steam: Xybec Katta

You mentioned the lack of recent Diablo clones, with Torchlight and Deathspank being the only recent ones released (Sacred 2 was almost 2 years ago). I don't even think there are any big ones in development right now, aside from Diablo 3. I'd expect to get a lot of them in the couple years following Diablo 3's release, though, assuming it's as successful as everyone expects. It happened with Diablo II, and we saw quite a few Warcraft clones in the years following Warcraft 3's release. Blizzard releases a game and makes massive amounts of money and then everyone else thinks they can do the same.

I love Diablo-style games, and play a lot of them . . . Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, Sacred 1 and 2, Titan Quest, Hellgate: London, and Torchlight (Titan Quest and Sacred 2 were probably the best of them) . . . but they haven't achieved much financial success. Dungeon Siege did well enough for Gas Powered Games, but Ascaron (Sacred) is gone, Iron Lore (Titan Quest) is gone, and then there was the Hellgate disaster for Flagship. It's too early to know what's going to happen with Torchlight's developer. Do they have a long-term future? I guess everything depends on the Torchlight MMO.
    Last edited by Azilis; 07-27-2010 at 11:42 PM.

On the contrary, there's a lot of Diablo clones -- but they're not being done by big budget companies. They're like Torchlight, coming out of a smaller company. I've been puttering around with Din's Curse -- http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Overview.html

The TQ folks have gone on to make Grim Dawn (might be available this year, I'd imagine Q2 2011 if not). HGL was acquired by Hanbitsoft as part of their loan deal, and may yet see the light of day, but I think most people on the 'cast who have played Sword can lay out the number of reasons they dislike or distrust Hanbit.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    On the contrary, there's a lot of Diablo clones -- but they're not being done by big budget companies. They're like Torchlight, coming out of a smaller company. I've been puttering around with Din's Curse -- http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Overview.html.
    Good point Paws. If you're into Steam, it seems they have a new Diablo style game almost every month. For the most part, I've noticed the same thing...these come from smaller companies, so you don't really hear about them. They don't get reviewed on many sites and don't always show up on Meta. It really is not my favorite subgenre, so I don't know how good they are. However, I have played some other indy games and have been impressed on the occasion. Many of them have demos you can try out as well.