Thread: Runic Games Announce Torchlight II

Runic Games Announce Torchlight II

Feeling all alone in the darkness? Runic understands your pain, and soon you can matchmake to find your perfect dungeon-delving partner.

[News]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Yum. Do want.

Guess I should finish the first one before next year then.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Guess I should finish the first one before next year then.
    I should probably buy the first one. It's been on the wishlist for a while I just haven't gotten the itch for a Diablo-esque game since I wrapped up Borderlands. Granted, Starcraft II has done a great job of sucking me back into Blizzard's clutches again, so I think it's only a matter of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing if a community rivalry starts up between Diablo III and Torchlight II. It's going to be great to have options Oh and crossing fingers for a Mac release so I can get the GF to play too.

EDIT: Interview on PCGamer
    Last edited by shoptroll; 08-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Guess they changed their minds about the MMO? I'm not going to complain. Co-op, here I come.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
    Guess they changed their minds about the MMO? I'm not going to complain. Co-op, here I come.
    Interview makes it sound like this is a step in the direction of the MMO. Basically, this will allow them to make a co-op Torchlight (which everyone was asking for) and add outdoor environments in a lower risk project.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

The MMO is still coming.

Also, for those that haven't bought it already, it'll be 75% off on Gamer's Gate this weekend (starting Thursday).

The addition of an outdoor areas is a big plus for me. The pure dungeon-crawl with lots and lots of narrow corridors gets old after a while. I hope for actual skill trees this time around, though (rather than skill tiers). Diablo II's skill trees are still the best I've seen. I don't mind when a game like Sacred 2 comes along with a completely different way of doing things (customizable skill slots in equipment were the primary way to increase skill levels), but the skill point system in Torchlight just felt like a stripped down version of Diablo 2's system. It didn't allow for that many distinct character builds, which hurt replay value.

The original didn't give me much replay. Here's hoping the next one captures a bit more of that Diablo magic.
    Rise!