Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of Japan: Games We may Never See

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Tales of Japan: Games We may Never See

Tales series fans are buzzing about all the news coming out of Japan. Here's a quick roundup of three Tales games that may or may not make it over the Pacific.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I was under the impression that Tales Studio was going out of business- if that is the case, where are they getting the funding for all these projects?

Gorgeous concept art for the upcoming game. I really do hope they will reconsider TOG... it just doesn't make sense for us to miss all these mothership titles.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by davidvinc View Post
    I was under the impression that Tales Studio was going out of business- if that is the case, where are they getting the funding for all these projects?
    The Tales Studio hasn't been doing well, it's true, but I've seen no news that they are going bankrupt or out of business. Their survival is likely up to parent company Namco Bandai, which probably helped fund these projects. My guess is that after Radiant Mythology 3, we might not see as many small projects/spinoffs (most of which don't reach our shores anyway) from the studio. At least, if I were in charge of Namco, I'd be telling Tales to pare down and focus on the flagship titles.

You should see the ruckus over at Namco Games facebook page. Fans are raging at always getting overlooked with Tales games. For the past few days people have been spamming them with pleas, surveys, petitions, and more. They are going after their facebook, their twitter, their snail mail, and their phonelines. It's a big mess, but it's understandable when you look at how many games from the series have never been released outside of japan.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mindsoak View Post
    You should see the ruckus over at Namco Games facebook page. Fans are raging at always getting overlooked with Tales games. For the past few days people have been spamming them with pleas, surveys, petitions, and more. They are going after their facebook, their twitter, their snail mail, and their phonelines. It's a big mess, but it's understandable when you look at how many games from the series have never been released outside of japan.
    Its really not understandable. They just refuse to accept that most of the games don't sell well over here.

Specially if RPGs on consoles are running dry this season once again. The only game I'm still playing now is WKC in online mode. I like Tales games and it bothers me that they stay in Japan. ( I don't care about the crossovers)
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Specially if RPGs on consoles are running dry this season once again. The only game I'm still playing now is WKC in online mode. I like Tales games and it bothers me that they stay in Japan. ( I don't care about the crossovers)
    Being bothered and sad is fine.

Spamming a facebook page run by marketing people who have no say in the matter is not a mature reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Its really not understandable. They just refuse to accept that most of the games don't sell well over here.
    I do wonder if the change in aesthetic for the new PS3 Tales game is aimed at least in part at gaining increased sales in North America. In the end, though, what they need most is a stronger marketing campaign over here. The Tales battle system certainly appeals to the Western gamer, and the characters in the better Tales games are interesting and fun. They should be able to get decent sales here with better marketing and with careful selection of which games they bring over.

Spamming a Facebook or Twiter account is immature but people don't care. They just want the product and care less of the company' s well being. Ocelot offered many valid points and strtegies that seem logical but Wheels thinking goes more inline with Namco Bandai thoughts. Sadly but true of a company who takes unnecessary risks with other poor games and not games like the Tales series. Anyone remembered the first Gundam for the PS3?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Spamming a Facebook or Twiter account is immature but people don't care. They just want the product and care less of the company' s well being. Ocelot offered many valid points and strtegies that seem logical but Wheels thinking goes more inline with Namco Bandai thoughts. Sadly but true of a company who takes unnecessary risks with other poor games and not games like the Tales series. Anyone remembered the first Gundam for the PS3?
    I don't think you or I have any idea what the Namco Bandai higher ups think. So let's not assume. We've gotten most of the main Tales games over here, so saying they take unnecessary risks on games worse than Tales and not on the Tales series is madness. I mean they gave Radiant Mythology a shot over here!

Whatever the reasons for not bringing over Vesperia PS3/Tales of Graces I'm sure they're good reasons. Its not like its been years since we got a Tales game, its been less than 2 years, quite normal for many series.

Yeah, I'm not trying to offer up strategies to Namco Bandai, I'm just speculating from my knowledge of the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Yeah, I'm not trying to offer up strategies to Namco Bandai, I'm just speculating from my knowledge of the industry.
    Right I mostly meant that in response to this idea that Namco hasn't tried at all with the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Whatever the reasons for not bringing over Vesperia PS3/Tales of Graces I'm sure they're good reasons. Its not like its been years since we got a Tales game, its been less than 2 years, quite normal for many series.
    I'll bite: Like what?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Well, for Vesperia, there's likely three solid reasons: 1) it would require new localization efforts for the new content, 2) the game has already seen a release in North America on the 360, which will significantly cut into the potential sales of a PS3 re-release, and 3) they already tried bringing over a re-release with Eternal Sonata, and I don't believe that was particularly successful. Once bitten, twice shy. To be honest, I'm absolutely amazed they bothered with ES at all, and I never honestly believed this would be coming over.

As for Graces, it's likely a combination of the fact that the game didn't do too well in Japan, it was widely criticized for having numerous bugs, and was released at a time when Namco Bandai is struggling financially. At this point, if they do decide to release it, it will almost assuredly be the PS3 version. However, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The next Tales game to be released here will probably be the PS3 one they've started working on, Unitia or Unita I think it's called. I'd say we're probably a good year away from that one at the very least in Japan, so Namco has some time to get their finances in order.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Halo, Final Fantasy Main Series, Dragon Quest main series, Star Ocean, Fable, Suikoden, Elder Scrolls, Disgaea. There's re-releases, remakes, expansions and what not in-between, but seriously what other RPG series is releases main-line games every year?

(And before you try and say Shin Megami Tensei, lest not forget that SMT is basically a bunch of smaller series).

There's a difference there. Those series don't skip main entries anymore. In these last two years, we've missed two mothership Tales games.

I don't know how this will affect anything, but Namco Bandai America is getting a new president in order to "further its vision of creating games that appeal to a mass audience and to best compete in the worldwide gaming industry."

Let's not forget that bouncing a series between every platform in the current console generation makes it hard for fans to follow. Seriously, is there any current system without a tales game made for it or in the works (in Japan at least)?

Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    There's a difference there. Those series don't skip main entries anymore. In these last two years, we've missed two mothership Tales games.
    Right we don't miss main entries because they aren't coming out every freaking year. Tales is not a sports franchise or something.