Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 140: "It's Mortal Kombat"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 140: "It's Mortal Kombat"

RPGCast - Episode 140: "It's Mortal Kombat"

Cataclysm impressions, Dragon Quest IX multiplayer, and Mortal Kombat highlight this week's show. Mikel also gives you his Pokémon trading rant.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/140

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "It's Mortal Kombat"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

------------------

Download GDawkTuk's song "Desert Assassin" here: http://www.rpgamer.com/rpgcast/userm...t_assassin.mp3

Cool!

Love the show as always. Thanks for playing my Tunes!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Wow, Mikel talking about P3 just really makes him sound sad. I mean, I like hot women getting railed as much as the next guy, but I don't play my games for that purpose. I have the internet, after all.

With regards to Fable, why is anyone surprised that a heavily touted feature isn't going to make the cut in a Fable game? That's as routine as the sun coming up.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

If lionhead studios didn't promise tons of stuff that we all know wont make it in the final cut id be worried.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Personally, I'm glad that Kinect isn't going to be in Fable III. It'll probably be a better game for it.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I still wanna know how you would turn around your character in kinect games if you can?

Hey are you guys getting beta keys to give away for cataclysm?? Hearing Paws talk about it made me pee myself from excitement
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    You can't put too much weight on what bnet league you're in at first. In the singles matches since my initial placement, I am 8-2. 2 of those wins were against Platinum opponents and 2 were against Gold, but apparently it takes more than that to get out of the Silver league. Kinda lame that it places you based on only 5 matches, and then I can tear apart favored opponent after favored opponent including a 6 game win streak all against favored opponents... and still be in Silver.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

If anyone wants to play some Starcraft 2 add me by my email address: garrett.lindquist@gmail.com

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Wow, Mikel talking about P3 just really makes him sound sad. I mean, I like hot women getting railed as much as the next guy, but I don't play my games for that purpose. I have the internet, after all.
    I don't recall exactly what I said, but if saying I like story (social links and interactions) more than crawling an unchanging dungeon makes me sad, then I'll be a sad one. The Mitsuru thing was a joke. I thought an obvious one.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Haha I will share this with everyone cause of my sheer confusion on where it went so wrong. I started by trying to make an RPGCast theme which you can hear in the beginning but somewhere after that I think I just ignored the premise of a theme and went all Dues EX with it. So, scrap this one, time to try again.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2eg...one...epic.mp3

Please don't judge too harshly, this was only about two hours of work after I had a random idea for a theme (which was like the first 30 seconds). Its like the opening to an rpg version of house lol.
    Last edited by gdawgtuk; 08-09-2010 at 11:09 AM.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quick time events in Mortal Kombat for finishers actually would be neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Quick time events in Mortal Kombat for finishers actually would be neat.
    I know i would love that. I don't care enough to play those games long enough to master that stuff. I could rent it to see them with those casual elements or save my money and youtube them if they remain difficult. I think its a great idea.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemyst View Post
    The Mitsuru thing was a joke. I thought an obvious one.
    Hmmmmmm....

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I personally think it would be better if the finishers were just given the same controls as the character's special moves. E.g. Sub Zero would just have to enter his ice blast action to freezes the opponent and shatter them.

While quick time event sounds a little too easy to pull off each time and while I would like to see them, they mustn't be too easy or it isn't as humiliating to the loser.

It's very tempting to try to attend the PAX party mentioned. Unfortunately I've already got a convention that weekend...

Gdawgtuk and Badgerlord (I believe it was?)- very talented both of you!

Anna, do you know any more about the numbers for the co-op multiplayer mode in Torchlight 2 than appeared in the PC Gamer interview? You said it would be 4-7, but based on the interview, I got the impression that they were just talking about the maximum number of players, and that they just weren't sure yet. That would mean you could have anywhere from 2 to 7 players (or whatever the maximum ends up being). I only check the Runic message boards occasionally, though, so I'm wondering if they've addressed this question already.

Can't believe Mikel started TWEWY but didn't get past Day 5. I couldn't put that game down during my initial playthrough.

And I liked the dungeon crawling of Persona 3 more than the story sections. That has a lot to do with my really enjoying the standard SMT battle system, though. The social links didn't really work for me, in part because they were just 10-step linear sequences with no branching whatsoever. A few of the individual storylines contained in them were fun, but even in the best ones, I never felt involved.

I don't remember TWEWY being spectacular at Day Five. Still, like most RPGs it gets better as it goes along.

Also, Tartarus was the best part of P3. I look back now and wonder how I didn't get bored with a 300-level randomly-generated dungeon, with palette swaps on only a dozen enemies, but I didn't! The rest of the game, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Azilis View Post
    Anna, do you know any more about the numbers for the co-op multiplayer mode in Torchlight 2 than appeared in the PC Gamer interview? You said it would be 4-7, but based on the interview, I got the impression that they were just talking about the maximum number of players, and that they just weren't sure yet. That would mean you could have anywhere from 2 to 7 players (or whatever the maximum ends up being). I only check the Runic message boards occasionally, though, so I'm wondering if they've addressed this question already.
    Sorry, I think my flippancy didn't come through in this. It came up on a couple news sites in the last week that people were reporting a "minimum" of four players, and I was making fun of that (as I did on the Runic forums, and they officially corrected the misconception there). Sadly the couple of places I saw it have since corrected their errors so I can't even mock them out any more

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silktail View Post
    I personally think it would be better if the finishers were just given the same controls as the character's special moves. E.g. Sub Zero would just have to enter his ice blast action to freezes the opponent and shatter them.

While quick time event sounds a little too easy to pull off each time and while I would like to see them, they mustn't be too easy or it isn't as humiliating to the loser.
    I think at this point, the loser of matches usually want to see a finisher as much as the person who won!