Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 22 - Ys Is Easy to Say

  1. #1
    Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Close to Trees
    Posts
    3,951

    RPG Backtrack: Episode 22 - Ys Is Easy to Say

    We bumped into a breezy pun regarding the Ys series, but don't take that to mean we go the easy route. Rock out and crash into a discussion of Falcom's best-known series.
    http://www.rpgamer.com/backtrack/2010/backtrack022.mp3
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

  2. #2
    Sounds interesting, just a thought will you be doing a Dragon Quest backtrack?

  3. #3
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,786
    Ah, Ys III.

    I remember back in the day, it was really easy to grind. This is what I'd do. In the mine, position yourself so that a simple enemy will keep returning after you kill him. Weigh down the down button and the attack button on the D-pad so they're always on, then go to bed. The next day, you'll be at max level with enough money to buy the best equipment straight away. Those, my friends, were the good ol' days.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  4. #4
    Banned Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Ah, Ys III.

    I remember back in the day, it was really easy to grind. This is what I'd do. In the mine, position yourself so that a simple enemy will keep returning after you kill him. Weigh down the down button and the attack button on the D-pad so they're always on, then go to bed. The next day, you'll be at max level with enough money to buy the best equipment straight away. Those, my friends, were the good ol' days.
    I agree. The old 2D version on the SNES was great. Unfortunately, we now have Oath in Felghana coming with 3D boss characters that look like ugly crap straight from the PS1 days and it was made in 2005! The only good thing in Felghana is the music. Too bad so many Falcom fanboys are going to be suckered into buying that piece of garbage when it hits the states. It's funny how many people don't even know that Adol originally talked on Ys III and then Falcom turned around and remade their game with him as the stupid silent protagonist. Seriously, WTF? That was one of the biggest turnoffs for me when I played Felghana. And what happened to the good hand-drawn 2D edition of Ys III? Taito made that one on the PS2 and showed Falcom up on how to make their own game... Funny how another company's version of a Falcom game was better... It reminds me of Sega's version of Popful Mail which was miles above the Falcom original. Ys III on the PS2 should have been the one to come stateside because it was true to the original story. All I can say is, even my Falcom fanbuddies swear by the PS2 version as the best one and I agree. It's 2D visuals are gorgeous and much better looking than the ugly 3D grainy models Falcom used in Felghana. Now if we could just get Square-Enix to release that one on the PSP because they bought out Taito, and of course because I'd rather see that one in my PSP collection than Felghana any day of the week. I can appreciate expanding on the cannon for some games, but somehow, Oath in Felghana feels more like a bunch of Falcom corporate boneheads -- who missed the point of the original -- getting together and trying to sell you a game that isn't worth the price of admission.

    Falcom is one company that is just way out there sometimes. Like with their decision to remake Brandish...uh, Brandish? Yep, you heard that right. What the hell is wrong with their company? They remade a game that didn't sell that well to begin with because the controls were all messed up...and they kept the same messed up controls in the PSP remake! Are they freaking stupid? Well, the answer to that is a big whopping "Y-E-S" and they only ended up selling like 20,000 copies. Somehow I don't think they recouped their costs on that venture. And yet that guy on the Playstation blog from XSEED is saying he wants to bring it over. How about a big "NO THANK YOU!" to that one. Leave the crappy games in Japan.

    I like some of Falcom's games, but games like Sora no Kiseki...now called Trails in the Sky (Tits! Ha ha!) that XSEED also decided to release besides Ys (though I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking) just suck. There's nothing fun about role-playing games like this that make you run back and forth down the same paths and through endless corridors that are completely linear and make no sense at all. The worst thing about these Sora no Kiseki games is that they are 3 games filled with the same exact crap. Recycled towns, recycled music, recycled characters, and reading that never ever seems to stop. If you think you're going to play any of these Sora no Kiseki games, just forget it right now...you're going to read your way through them, and that is no joke. And anyone willing to pay 3 times for the same nonsensical crap is stupid (sorry to my buddies if their reading this, but it's the truth, and they've all admitted to being stupid for paying for these games). After playing through them myself, all I can say is "Ugh! Boring to the max!" Imagine playing through 3 versions of Star Ocean 4 with the ten times the reading and you've got yourselves something equal to Sora no Kiseki...

    How about another damn Popful Mail game that is 2D and side-scrolling, Falcom? None of this 3D interpreted garbage like Felghana, either. Popful Mail had a great story, great music, great play control (at least on the Sega version, SNES version was decent, too), and funny as hell animation and characters. How about another round of Mail, Tat, and Gaw to go around, everyone? And while I can't understand why, Falcom is making dumb fighting games that control as stiff as a board and even wanting to create another Sorcerian game! This is one backwards company.
    Last edited by demonsoulsmaster; 08-14-2010 at 07:29 AM.

  5. #5
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,786
    Well, if they're building Felghana on the Ys 6 engine, I imagine it'll be a sweet game in its own right. Loved me some Napishtim (PS2, not PSP).

    And I liked Brandish personally. Yeah, the rotating dungeon was an odd design choice, but the characters and story were pretty cool.

    And I personally wouldn't mind a 3D Popful Mail. It seems like, with the exception of Bayonetta, the character action genre gets more brooding and serious with each new game. It's be nice to have a more lighthearted game in the genre.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  6. #6
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Well, if they're building Felghana on the Ys 6 engine, I imagine it'll be a sweet game in its own right. Loved me some Napishtim (PS2, not PSP).

    And I liked Brandish personally. Yeah, the rotating dungeon was an odd design choice, but the characters and story were pretty cool.

    And I personally wouldn't mind a 3D Popful Mail. It seems like, with the exception of Bayonetta, the character action genre gets more brooding and serious with each new game. It's be nice to have a more lighthearted game in the genre.
    Oath in Felghana is fantastic! It actually originally came out in Japan in 2005 on PC, and its quite fantastic. I'm glad they decided to port it to PSP (came out in Japan earlier this year) and if you enjoyed Ys VI I think you'll love Oath in Felghana. A new Popful Mail would be great! I wonder why they don't have Sega CD games on the Virtual Console since they already have Turbo CD games.

  7. #7
    A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,871
    Excellent backtrack guys! I've yet to play and Y's game, but the DS version of I & II is readily available. Perhaps it's time I pick that up.

    Yeesh, that many games in the next backtrack? This'll be interesting.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

  8. #8
    Member flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    5,022
    15:30
    Re: Vesperia: "It's...a Tales game." Seriously, no one could have expected that.
    34:00
    You kids these days move in any direction you want. When I was your age, we had to move at 90 degree angles in the snow, uphill both ways!
    78:00
    You guys talk about "not slowing it down" as a major advantage of Ys. I like Half Minute Hero for this reason.
    Last edited by flamethrower; 08-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.

  9. #9
    Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    10x10 room with treasure chest
    Posts
    1,056
    Nyx does listen to these episodes, and as I type this she is plotting her revenge. Just thought I'd let you know that.

  10. #10
    Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Close to Trees
    Posts
    3,951

    There's Terra in Ys 5.
    http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-12/ys-terra2.html
    There's Terra in Ys 6, three years later. Looks like I can't link two big images in one post, something I haven't tried in awhile.
    Last edited by JuMeSyn; 08-14-2010 at 12:30 PM.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

  11. #11
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Excellent backtrack guys! I've yet to play and Y's game, but the DS version of I & II is readily available. Perhaps it's time I pick that up.

    Yeesh, that many games in the next backtrack? This'll be interesting.
    No! Wait for Falcom's Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles for PSP. Interchannel's take on the first two aren't too hot from all I've been hearing.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

  12. #12
    A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,871
    I don't have a PSP, though. :P I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, either.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

  13. #13
    Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanM View Post
    Sounds interesting, just a thought will you be doing a Dragon Quest backtrack?
    Mike is the master of scheduling. There's no doubt we'll be doing one, if not more....but It's up to RealMike WHEN we do it.

  14. #14
    Banned Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    No! Wait for Falcom's Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles for PSP. Interchannel's take on the first two aren't too hot from all I've been hearing.
    Wait? Why? The DS version wasn't that great, but the PSP/PC version of Ys I & II isn't that great either. You can't swing a sword in the latter because there's no attack button. Instead, you run headlong into the enemies like a dumb fool, and if you aren't lined up exactly, Adol can be killed in a few hits. Sorry to say this, but the PSP nub and even the D-Pad aren't real useful for getting things aligned just right. This version XSEED is now putting out is literally like 10 years old and the only things really new are a few options to change to the new character artwork -- though the new is actually really ugly compared to the old -- and being able to switch the music so you can listen to the old versions of the songs -- and those aren't any better either. How much is XSEED going to charge for these games anyway? Because if they're asking for more than $29.99 for the both of them -- even with bonus goodies -- they're ripping gamers off. I've played most of the Ys games, and they're all pretty much "Meh" good, which isn't saying much for a series that's been around for over 20 years. And maybe it's because I'm probably about 10 years younger than the average "Falcom groupie" that I can see through all Falcom's flashy artwork, and actually see the core gameplay and stories for what they are. Most of the guys I know who are older and played these games were suckered into buying them based on the nice artwork -- which unfortunately doesn't equal a good game.

    Anyway, time to hit the sack.
    Last edited by demonsoulsmaster; 08-14-2010 at 05:52 PM.

  15. #15
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,786
    Yoiu know, Terra doesn't have much in the way of boobs in VI either. The boys on the backtrack made her sound like Maxi Mounds or something.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  16. #16
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    I don't have a PSP, though. :P I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, either.
    Not having a PSP is something that needs fixing. So much good coming for it.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

  17. #17
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by demonsoulsmaster View Post
    Wait? Why? The DS version wasn't that great, but the PSP/PC version of Ys I & II isn't that great either. You can't swing a sword in the latter because there's no attack button. Instead, you run headlong into the enemies like a dumb fool, and if you aren't lined up exactly, Adol can be killed in a few hits. Sorry to say this, but the PSP nub and even the D-Pad aren't real useful for getting things aligned just right. This version XSEED is now putting out is literally like 10 years old and the only things really new are a few options to change to the new character artwork -- though the new is actually really ugly compared to the old -- and being able to switch the music so you can listen to the old versions of the songs -- and those aren't any better either. How much is XSEED going to charge for these games anyway? Because if they're asking for more than $29.99 for the both of them -- even with bonus goodies -- they're ripping gamers off. I've played most of the Ys games, and they're all pretty much "Meh" good, which isn't saying much for a series that's been around for over 20 years. And maybe it's because I'm probably about 10 years younger than the average "Falcom groupie" that I can see through all Falcom's flashy artwork, and actually see the core gameplay and stories for what they are. Most of the guys I know who are older and played these games were suckered into buying them based on the nice artwork -- which unfortunately doesn't equal a good game.

    Anyway, time to hit the sack.
    You're kind of alone in you're opinions here. Adding sword swings to Ys I&II made it much worse, the super simple bump into things gameplay (with magic in II) is part of the old school charm of those games. The versions of XSEED are bringing out over here are a port of what is considered the finest version of the first two games. You may not care for the oddball old-school mechanic, but a lot of people want to play these games with the original form of its gameplay. At $29.99 I find it to be quite a good price given all the extras in there. If you don't care for bumping into things, just stick to the more recent Ys games .

  18. #18
    Member flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    5,022
    Hardcore Gaming put it rather simply.

  19. #19
    Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Close to Trees
    Posts
    3,951
    That graphic sums it up. Naturally the enemies usually won't sit still to let you angle yourself cautiously, so learning to do that quickly is the key.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

  20. #20
    Banned Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You're kind of alone in you're opinions here. Adding sword swings to Ys I&II made it much worse, the super simple bump into things gameplay (with magic in II) is part of the old school charm of those games. The versions of XSEED are bringing out over here are a port of what is considered the finest version of the first two games. You may not care for the oddball old-school mechanic, but a lot of people want to play these games with the original form of its gameplay. At $29.99 I find it to be quite a good price given all the extras in there. If you don't care for bumping into things, just stick to the more recent Ys games .
    Charm? There's no "charm" about it and that's what that Wyrdwad fellow always says. Are you sure you're not an Ys fanboy? Because only an Ys fanboy would call "grinding with enemies" good gameplay. I've played enough action-RPGs to know that that's a hugely flawed mechanic and I highly doubt that I'm alone in my opinion on that, either. How about we take a poll on that one? I think the real problem here, is that you haven't played enough action-RPGs to know any better. Ys I & II would be really awesome "if you could control your attacks" and "if Falcom had spent some time to implement a good attack system" which regrettably, they did not. That's kind of one of the reasons these games aren't million sellers. Games that have great gameplay make the gaming experience feel all that more rewarding. However, Ys I & II fails miserably there. Even Secret of Mana on the SNES trumps Ys as far as an action-RPG.

    How about we take a look at a Tales game for example, even very first one, Tales of Phantasia. In that game you can rock the enemies with all kinds of attacks and combos together, where in an Ys game you simply can't. Even in the remakes of Tales of Phantasia, the Tales Studio had the brains to smooth out and fix certain mechanics. Falcom does not have the brains to do so, that's why they make a full remake of a crappy game like Brandish with the same crappy mechanics...and that's why they sell only like 20,000 copies. Bottom line is, only a true Falcom fanboy would buy crap like that, whereas any normal gamer who is looking for an outlet for their hard-earned cash, would do a little research and purchase something with a higher standard of quality. The economy isn't good in America right now, and especially not in Colorado, so Falcom has got to give gamers more for their money instead of a game that's 10 years old, reboxed, and sold under a different company name like XSEED.

    By the way, since I'm sure you don't know. The finest version of Ys I & II was the one released by Digicube on the Playstation 2 back in 2003. The PS2 version was fully voiced which I know for a fact the PSP version isn't. Plus, on the PS2 version there was tons of extra stuff in game like a music player that let you listen to the soundtrack and told about the music, an art gallery museum where a character shows you the artwork of the games and how they were drawn and colored, and you got character models of the Adol, Reah, Feena, and Lilia as well as a plastic model of Ys, with the Darm Tower and the floating island that was raised from the giant crater. Even the PC versions of Ys I & II came with an orchestrated soundtrack, nice artbook, and the Ys animation.

    Sorry to say this, but I'm pretty positive that XSEED ain't going to be making the game fully voiced for starters, adding any of those kinds of cool extras into the game, or giving out those kinds of awesome physical extras in a boxed set. And even if you did get a soundtrack, it's not going to be a full one, just a small sampling like we got with LUNAR, and what gamers are getting with Ys Seven. So any way you look at it, Ys I & II coming from XSEED is still going to be a gimped version and not even close to the finest. And let me add that the Ys animation was released by a different company in America, so good luck with XSEED getting the rights to package something like that with their game.
    Last edited by demonsoulsmaster; 08-16-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •