Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 141: "Suffer Well"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

Exclamation RPGCast - Episode 141: "Suffer Well"

RPGCast - Episode 141: "Suffer Well"

We've got another week of RPGCast awesomeness for you all to take to your mommas. Nothing makes sense when Square Enix makes social RPGs, Pokémon in musicals, and Odo and Wayne Newton star in a Fallout game. Beware the Zabrak!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/141

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Suffer Well"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

-------------------

Download Garrett Lindquist's song from this week's show "Beast and Beauty" here: http://www.rpgamer.com/rpgcast/usermusic/Garrett Lindquist - Beast and Beauty.mp3

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    I don't know where the title came from, but it's a Depeche Mode song from the Playing the Angel album to me, and always will be.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    I don't know where the title came from, but it's a Depeche Mode song from the Playing the Angel album to me, and always will be.
    +100000000000000000000000000000000 respect points!

I was just coming here to say that too!

Depeche Mode = <33333

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I was just saying that there are other ways to capture older Pokemon in the fourth generation. I do agree that it stinks to have such a limited way to transfer your older Pokemon. Still being limited to six for Black and White is ridiculous (and apparently, you just have to play some minigame to get them, not engage them in a battle. :P).
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I don't see why they limit the transfer of your old pokemon?! Even if they allowed you to transfer them all at once and maybe limited the amount that you have access to at first, say for example queuing it and giving you access to six new ones an hour (until they all eventually load in), that would be fine with me.

RE: Abdul's quest for tactic RPGs.

...There's also Fire Emblem. Why does no one remember Fire Emblem...?

Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    RE: Abdul's quest for tactic RPGs.

...There's also Fire Emblem. Why does no one remember Fire Emblem...?
    I seem to also remember a FANTASTIC game series called "Advance Wars"

We don't cover AW, and I'd guess in large part because it's not marketed as an RPG, so it wouldn't spring to mind. I know people call it that, but even Nintendo doesn't.

Nintendo calls Advance Wars a Strategy game. Atlus calls Disgaea a Strategy game.

What?

http://www.atlus.com/dis/
    A breathtaking and defining strategy RPG from the masters of the genre!
    They've called it an RPG for years. If you're going to be a snotty *******, at least be correct

Here's a couple of the games that got recommended in the chatroom:

Advanced Wars
    Civilization V
    Front Mission 3
    Jeanne d'Arc
    King's Bounty: Armored Princess.
    Luminious Arc
    R.U.S.E.
    RISK
    Tactics Ogre
    UFO: Apocalypse
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Vanguard Bandits

I forget your idea of fact checking involves checking the tagline on one website.

Following your logic, though. Nintendo has only ever called Harvest Moon a simulation game. They mention RPG elements, but the same is true for games like, say, Batman: Arkham Asylum. Castlevania games all have RPGamer pages even though they aren't even close to being called RPGs. Final Fantasy had fighting games that were covered because of the company association, yet Advance Wars is made by the same people as Fire Emblem without the same consideration. Pokemon Snap isn't an RPG, but falls under the same banner, alongside all the Megaman non-portable games (Even though Castlevania II: Simon's Quest is somehow an RPG). River City Ransom was called by Nintendo an Action/Fighting game, not an RPG. Legacy of Kain is listed an RPG, even though you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that lists it as such.

On the other hand, Advance Wars is not only constantly brought up alongside games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre (both of which are covered), but follows damn near the same basic battle style of half of the strategy games the site does cover.

But hey, if you want to try to convince anyone that there exists some sort of internal consistency on what is and isn't covered based on what the PR tagline following the product name on the official website calls the relevant genre, go right ahead. I want to see why Simon's Quest is an RPG

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Umm...how are Tales of Vesperia and Arc Rise Fantasia's battle systems similar? The former has a real-time system and the latter turn-based. :P
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Yeah, because you haven't ever been involved in that conversation before, Kiro. I didn't say it was the sole metric; moreover, you're clearly aware of that and have been called on it before, so stop trolling or you'll be taking a much-needed vacation.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Moving on from the argument, children...

I remember Doom 3 getting pretty thouroughly savaged for being too dark and having those monster closets, with special derision gained for not being able to use a gun and a flashlight at the same time, something you've been able to do since the original Half-Life, if not sooner. In fact, I remember one of the first mods for Doom 3 being a gun with a flashlight duct taped onto it.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Hahahaha, I remember that. A couple of friends were really into the game when it came out; I got to scare the living crap out of one by sneaking up while he was playing (in the dark) with his dog, which proceeded to lick the back of his neck. It was epic.

I'm whiny. Bawww.

Quote Originally Posted by KiroLM View Post
    Doom 3 had its share of issues, but the biggest one in my head was the complete change of pace. Granted, it would have been Painkiller by ID if they had followed suit, but that might not have been a bad thing. The slow creep was kind of weird when the original Doom had you walking at 300 mph.
    Odd design choice, but it's worth remembering Quake IV was in the pipeline too, so having two very similar games on the market might not have been the best idea either.

Which reminds me, why the hell isn't Quake IV on Steam?

Worked in 96!

I always forget American McGee worked on Quake. What a weird association.

Quote Originally Posted by KiroLM View Post
    Worked in 96!

I always forget American McGee worked on Quake. What a weird association.
    96 was such a different time it's not even funny. Back then, those run-n-gun games sold well. Things had changed quite a bit by 2004.