Thread: RPGCast - Episode 142: "The Jedi Knight Sentinel Times"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

Question RPGCast - Episode 142: "The Jedi Knight Sentinel Times"

RPGCast - Episode 142: "The Jedi Knight Sentinel Times"

Bioware reveals the name of the Jedi newspaper, Tactics Ogre continues talk about its upcoming game show, and Peter Molyeneux is adding DLC to books. One of those is real, I leave it as an excercise to you to figure out which.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/142

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Jedi Knight Sentinel Times"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I can not recommend the Redlettermedia reviews enough. All of them: Avatar, Star Treks VII - X & Eps 1&2 of Star Wars.
    The way he does these reviews manages to keep you interested. If you think 7 parts is too much for Ep1, I promise you after you've finished the 7 parts that you'll want to watch another 7 parts.

Be warned, he can successfully destroy a movie for you. I liked Star Trek: First Contact. Redlettermedia managed to change my mind, big time. The movie is actually a complete mess in every single way.

Edit: I was hoping I'd never hear a gearscore discussion in RPGCast. It's not like there is enough of that in trade chat.

Edit2: Anyone looking for more FFXIV impressions, I highly recommend Lane's review at Lusipurr's site: http://lusipurr.com/2010/08/20/revie...a-impressions/
    It should be noted, Mr. Cooper canceled his pre-order for FFXIV which, considering the praise I remember him giving FFXI in older RPGcasts and MAPs, should say something about this game (so far).
    Last edited by Cram; 08-21-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Couple things here for me:

1. Gearscore is a joke. I was denied access to a raid, threw on all my Wraithful PVP gear, gave them my gearscore from that and was allowed in and did FINE. Asset to th team dispite my score probably being half of what I showed them.

2. Anyone else not a fan of the idea of Mass Effect 2 being pushed to the Ps3? It feels like an attempt to make an extra dollar. Fine. I know that is their job, but this whole "You kind of feel attached to their actions" is a farcry of the teams actual goal. By playing the first game, building and living your character through an awesome adventure, you are attached to them like no load screen explaination could ever accomplish. It's a blueray disk worth around 50gb......If they included the first game with the improvements of the second game and the second game on one disk (not to mention it has obvious visual enhancements compared to the 360 version) I would rebuy that to experience it. This just seems like a shameful attempt at cash.

Gearscore has been sort of a flashbang; people ran nothing BUT GS raids for a couple months, then most people grew up and realized it was, as you've demonstrated, breakable -- and not a demonstration of actual skill. At least achievement linking had some merit.

As for ME1/ME2, the understanding I have is some form of rights for ME1 have stayed with MS despite the developers being purchased. So while an infomercial 'catch up' may not be lauded, it will likely have to do. Give it to the guys who did the SC1 wrap-up for SC2; I never played the first one, but I felt nicely caught up.

I'm so happy someone actually brought up Front Mission 5. It's definitely the best Front Mission and one of the best srpg's. Some guys made an english patch for it. greatest thing that ever happened ever. http://frontmission.info/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

It should be noted, Mr. Cooper canceled his pre-order for FFXIV which, considering the praise I remember him giving FFXI in older RPGcasts and MAPs, should say something about this game (so far).
    Is this the same Mr. Cooper that sold off his copy of the game and the system it was played on, only to re-buy it later, while praising a game that many others didn't like?

If it is, then let this be noted too.

Quote Originally Posted by lithorose View Post
    Is this the same Mr. Cooper that sold off his copy of the game and the system it was played on, only to re-buy it later, while praising a game that many others didn't like?

Heh, I wouldn't know. Probably lol.
    -----------------------------------------

Agreed with Chris regarding Diablo 3 news. I don't care for hearing about every single game mechanic before the game is released. Knowing everything about every mechanic/quest/act/class/story before you even play the game is boring. Yes, some real news would be nice.

Chris, Risen was the game put out by the dev of the first 3 Gothic games. They split from their publisher (who kept the Gothic IP), so Risen was a spiritual successor to that series. Very similar to Elder Scrolls in a lot of ways. Can't believe Kiro let this confusion pass without mentioning something in the chatroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cram View Post
    Heh, I wouldn't know. Probably lol.
    -----------------------------------------

Agreed with Chris regarding Diablo 3 news. I don't care for hearing about every single game mechanic before the game is released. Knowing everything about every mechanic/quest/act/class/story before you even play the game is boring. Yes, some real news would be nice.
    After I started listening to RPGcast last year, I went back and listened through the entire back catalog, and while that same Mr. Cooper was extremely reactionary (ie, selling the game and system . . . can't exactly remember if that really happened, but I'm sure something like it did), he often raved about FFXI, and I don't remember many complaints. That said, I wouldn't put too much stock in his canceling the preorder (as I said, he was very reactionary).

Indeed. It came up on the 'cast specifically because he sold me his second (third?) 360. I know he bought at least one more after that. He's also quit and re-subbed to any number of MMOs off and on sporadically. I'm not saying his concerns or opinions aren't valid (they echo a number of complaints I've seen); merely that his capricious past should be taken into consideration if his review is the sole metric you use to decide on a purchase.

Ok so I was advised by Sabin to voice my concerns for the podcast. A. Mikel you own this darn site, you should be more enthusiastic, about what? About anything and everything. Not just Pokemon and naked cat girl ladies. B. Anna Marie Apparently you talk alot but I don't hear you talk alot, so talk more, but have a point, or don't, that will annoy Chris. C. Emanuel get a better mic. Chris sounds like he's in the room with me, Mikel sounds really good too, you sound like you are on the phone, in a trashcan, in the Philippines. But you're still cool. Everybody else, when you all start claiming to be arguing, you really aren't, because I am not even slightly annoyed. But in fact, I await arguments. Gamer nerds fights would be awesome. Like Samus is the hottest, No Fang is! So work on that and the show will skyrocket past old repeats of "Hey you, smell my laundry!"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gprivitere View Post
    So work on that and the show will skyrocket past old repeats of "Hey you, smell my laundry!"
    I can honestly say I'm not familiar with that show.

Quote Originally Posted by lithorose View Post

I'm not quite sure what you mean? I know Lusi has uninstalled and then re-installed FFXI many times (owing to what a colossal time sink it is). Or were you talking about Lusi selling his Wii, only to repurchase it after Nintendo's E3 goodness. He also replaced his PC at some point.

As far as his decision not to play FFXIV, it is based in equal measures on Lane's unfavourable Beta impressions and his enjoyment of WoW jousting.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Gearscore? I'm still playing catch up on RPGcast and RPG Backtrack, but was this just a really slow news week?

I'd also like to disagree with at least part of what gprivitere has to say. I'm not a fan of the arguments. Whenever things go from disagreeing and discussing to arguments I just tend to zone the podcast out.
    Last edited by SeraphimKitten; 08-26-2010 at 06:51 PM.

I just wanted to add that the discussion of the Soul Shard extra for the collector's edition of Diablo III left me with one thing in my mind:

SOUL SHARD, APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD.

@Chris: I don't count the Star Wars prequels as cannon either.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!