Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - Impression

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - Impression

Another Kingdom Hearts spin-off? Yep, but don't write it off yet. Birth By Sleep is looking to recapture the original's charms. Here's what we think so far.

Read the impression here
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Adriaan didn't really like any of the spin offs, but loves Birth By Sleep,

I loved all of the spin offs and games,

...I guess that means would cry from sheer joy after playing this one. 2 more weeks!!!
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

Yeah, I actually liked KH: Dumb Name. I'm really excited for this.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    This makes absolutely no sense, of course, but is undeniably awesome.
    This quote pretty much sums up how I felt about KH1. I just might be picking up the PSP bundle for this game (and the other cool stuff I've been missing on PSP).

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Does this count a review? if so then i don't read them if they're written by Adriaan den Ouden.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I just might be picking up the PSP bundle for this game (and the other cool stuff I've been missing on PSP).
    I'm in the same boat. Just gotta drop the order on Amazon and figure out what other games I should get afterward.

EDIT: More spinoffs than core games? Are you counting Chain of Memories as one or two games, and are you counting Coded (again, one or two games here)?

Personally I think the story in KH1 was better than KH2, but KH2 had a lot more depth, and I think I'm one of the few people who liked the systems in CoM. No verdict on 358 (aside from OMG Status Effects WTF) yet, although I think I get what h.a.n.d. was trying to accomplish here: a multiplayer focused mission based game you play in small chunks on public transport.

The amount of work they're doing on BBS makes me wonder if the game would've been a PS2 game if the timing had been better. Unless there's multiplayer I don't see why they couldn't have done it as a full blown console title aside from the fact that the PS2 is pretty much dead and it would take more work than they want to do to port the engine to the PS3 (where it would be judged against the PS3 standards).
    Last edited by shoptroll; 08-24-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

With all due respect, I WILL NOT BE BUYING THIS GAME IF IT IS REVIEWED BY ADRIAAN DEN OUDEN!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Just gotta drop the order on Amazon and figure out what other games I should get afterward.

EDIT: More spinoffs than core games? Are you counting Chain of Memories as one or two games, and are you counting Coded (again, one or two games here)?

Personally I think the story in KH1 was better than KH2, but KH2 had a lot more depth, and I think I'm one of the few people who liked the systems in CoM. No verdict on 358 (aside from OMG Status Effects WTF) yet, although I think I get what h.a.n.d. was trying to accomplish here: a multiplayer focused mission based game you play in small chunks on public transport.

The amount of work they're doing on BBS makes me wonder if the game would've been a PS2 game if the timing had been better. Unless there's multiplayer I don't see why they couldn't have done it as a full blown console title aside from the fact that the PS2 is pretty much dead and it would take more work than they want to do to port the engine to the PS3 (where it would be judged against the PS3 standards).
    Well...

Core games:

Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts II

Spin-Offs:

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    Kingdom Hearts Coded
    Kingdom Hearts: 358 Days/2
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Also: There is multi-player in BBS (the screenshots we have of the characters fighting in their armor is the multiplayer stuff). It's an aside from the main story, however, and from what I can tell, completely superfluous.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

With all due respect, I WILL NOT BE BUYING THIS GAME IF IT IS REVIEWED BY ADRIAAN DEN OUDEN!
    Way to knock it up a notch.

Transcends lowly masses
    This is pretty-spot-on. I liked the first KH, but I wasn't down with any of the ones that came after. Birth by Sleep, on the other hand, is a joy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    Conversely, I will not be buying Adriaan den Ouden if this game reviews him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    This is pretty-spot-on. I liked the first KH, but I wasn't down with any of the ones that came after. Birth by Sleep, on the other hand, is a joy to play.

Conversely, I will not be buying Adriaan den Ouden if this game reviews him.
    But... but... I'm such a great value!
    Follow me on Twitter

Transcends lowly masses
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    But... but... I'm such a great value!
    With all the Hong Kong knockoffs being sold on eBay, I can't take that claim 100% seriously at this time.

With all the Hong Kong knockoffs being sold on eBay, I can't take that claim 100% seriously at this time.
    Posts like this make me seriously debate turning on the vote up options, hahahahaha

Those knock-offs are easily broken. You need to look for the RPGamer Seal of Quality™, only then can you be sure it's the real thing.

It's branded on my ***
    Follow me on Twitter

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I really need to get a new PSP this coming month...

Looks freaking epic. Never liked the KH stories, but this game looks amazing. Anyone know if there will be any Final Fantasy cameos?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Looks freaking epic. Never liked the KH stories, but this game looks amazing. Anyone know if there will be any Final Fantasy cameos?
    Just Zack Fair. And maybe some kind of moogle.

Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    Just Zack Fair. And maybe some kind of moogle.
    Well... as long as there is something. I am hoping for more cameos from FF characters in the inevitable KHIII. That was what I liked about the first two. They weren't hugely important (well, Auron), but they were present. I'd love to see some vintage ones like Locke or Bartz!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I was sort of sad that the Radiant Garden FF cameo characters weren't in BBS... seems like a missed opportunity to see them all much younger right before **** hit the fan. I mean, come on, they show off half of the Organization XIII members prior to the catastrophe and Kairi, so it seems cruel to not let fans check up with kid versions of Squall (prior to his silly name change), Cid, et al.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I thought the FF characters weren't from Hollow Bastion / Radiant Garden originally?

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if they're phasing out the FF cameos since the franchise has enough exclusive characters that they don't need to rely on FF characters to keep people interested in it.

Besides, Dissidia is basically the FF mashup game. Complete with KH-esque weapons materializing from the ether.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!