Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 23 - Get the Point Yet?

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 23 - Get the Point Yet?

Gordon Sumner has created a lot of good music, but he's not the Sting we're talking about today. A quick blurb cannot encapsulate everything the developer has done, so listening to the discussion is required.
    http://www.rpgamer.com/backtrack/2010/backtrack023.mp3
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I would think that just the Dept. Heaven games would make for enough of a discussion, but I suppose not. Still a great episode. Oh and about the connection between the games, there was a special Dept. Heaven World Guide book that reveals much about the multiverse and how the three games connect, but of course, that's Japan only. Episode IX was also recently revealed, though details are so sketchy we don't even have a name yet. :P

What happened to that MP3 overview of mine, by the way?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    OK before I start, I have GOT to ask a question - what the hell is up with the absurd file sizes? For quite a while now, the podcasts have all had >100MB file sizes. what gives!? RPGCast runs nearly as long as you guys most of the time, but the file sizes aren't this stupidly large!?

As to Sting, I have to admit I really haven't touched their games in a long while. Between the Evolution games and Riviera, they left a resoundingly sour taste in my mouth. Just never had the urge to go try any of their other stuff since.

Anyway, since no one else has stepped up to LAST week's question, even, here goes, all the systems Ys has yet to appear on:

Xbox
    Xbox 360
    Apple Pippin
    All Atari platforms, including the 8-bit family, *00, Lynx and Jaguar.
    PlayStation 3
    PSOne
    Nintendo GameCube
    Nintendo 64
    Game Boy/GBC
    Game Boy Advance
    iPod Touch/iPhone
    3DO
    Phillips CD-i
    Sega Dreamcast
    Sega CD
    Sega 32-X
    All Macintosh computers
    Linux/Unix
    BSD and all descendants.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    just reminder for this week's contest email me at fowl_sorcerous@rpgamer.com

and i do like to read manuals, but at this point ingame tutorials should have surpassed pure text to explain the game's mechanics.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    @Strawberry - I sent you a reply back on the original email you sent me. There was no attachment. And when I was editing the 'cast, I checked again just to see if you sent it. I might blame it on the mail server, except I've gotten attachments from you before with no problem. odd!

@MasterC - I can compress the file further, but the tradeoff is that it sounds worse... and noticeably so. When I used the next level compression, I could hear the sound quality take a significant step down. In an age of high speed internet and what not, I didn't think much of the larger file size... but since you said something, I'll see what I can do. If you think this is bad, you should see how big the original sound project file. 1-2GB for each backtrack! I don't keep those guys around on my hard drive long for that reason. I'll try re compressing the backtracks I still have the master files on and see what happens. I love your list, BTW.
    Last edited by jcservant; 08-29-2010 at 09:16 AM.

I see no WonderSwan on that list though.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

I'd add:

Sega Game Gear
    Virtual Boy
    Magnavox Odyssey
    Coleco Telestar
    Phillips Odyssey
    Microvision
    Intellivision
    Vectrex
    ColecoVision
    TurboGrafx 16 (without CD)
    Famicom Disk System
    Neo-Geo and all descendants
    Game.com
    Neo Geo Pocket
    N-Gage
    Gizmondo

There have been a lot of video game consoles.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Yes, yes there have. Though man, Ys on the Odyssey would have been hilarious.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Did anyone think of Game & Watch? Ok...it's not a system...but if it did zelda (which it did), it can do Y's!

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    @Strawberry - I sent you a reply back on the original email you sent me. There was no attachment. And when I was editing the 'cast, I checked again just to see if you sent it. I might blame it on the mail server, except I've gotten attachments from you before with no problem. odd!
    What's odd is my memory...Apparently, I didn't send the attachment the first time, and I somehow missed that in the reply you sent me. Oh well...

If you want to send it, I can add it to the next one

And here I was just thinking I was getting longer podcasts for the larger sizes!!

Well, they are certainly longer. I'm always surprised when these shows hit the 2 hour mark. Our first few (with the new cast) only seemed to be about an hour or so.

Already did. I didn't play any of the games on the upcoming Backtrack (that right, I've yet to play a Chrono game ^^; ) anyway.

Just got it...and it has attachment! WOOT!

Not nearly as much interest as I would've thought. Nobody's mentioned Knights in the Nightmare or Dokapon yet, though I can understand Hexyz Force since it's so new.

I'm surprised. Each of these games are so interesting and unique, even if the gameplay doesn't grab you straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    Not nearly as much interest as I would've thought. Nobody's mentioned Knights in the Nightmare or Dokapon yet, though I can understand Hexyz Force since it's so new.
    The podcast definitely pushed me to up Knights in the Nightmare and Yggdra Union in my to-obtain queue. Having started Riviera upon getting a PSP recently, I was not particularly impressed, and I've set it aside in favor of Jeanne D'Arc. I kind if wish I had listened to this podcast ahead of time and picked up Yggdra Union instead of Riviera, but I was under the impression that the connections between the games were more important than they were. Is there anything major I'd miss out on if I just never went back to playing Riviera and started Yggdra Union instead?

Whatever connections exist between Riviera and Yggdra Union haven't been spelled out, and while I suppose you could make a research paper out of the various themes they share, that's the kind of dedication you'll need to use if you want to dig out some serious relationships. So if Riviera isn't hooking you, move on with no fear of missing anything in Yggdra.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    FYI, you all have until Monday to try and win a copy of Riviera on PSP! E-mail your entries to fowl_sorcerous@rpgamer.com