Thread: Valkyria Chronicles 2 Story Trailer

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Valkyria Chronicles 2 Story Trailer

The year is 1937, and Gallia is once again torn by the blue flames of war. For a mix of rebellious nobility, brave military cadets, and mighty Valkyria, check out this new trailer!

Will this be a true sequel or a new story, like new character cast and so? I don't have a PS3 yet so I couldn't play the first game but I can get this one on a PSP.

New cast and it takes place two years after the end of VC1.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

It looks like a new cast.

I'm really not liking the new Valkyia though. She looks like some little J-pop star. Selvaria was elegant. You could believe she was something special. This new one just seems like, "I decided to be a Valkyria when I grew up and Daddy's money let me, aren't I precocious and loud?"

And EVERYONE is a lot younger.
    The four mains Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, Largo are all older, at least in their mid-20's. Now all the mains are teens just like in every anime out there.

And do we know if it is a sequel like Persona 3 and 4 or like Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2? I mean story-wise

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    And EVERYONE is a lot younger.
    The four mains Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, Largo are all older, at least in their mid-20's. Now all the mains are teens just like in every anime out there.
    Considering the setting, this might not be that surprising. Circa 1937, soldiers were being drafted at 17 or 18.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

RPGLAND said the story was rather mediocre ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

It looks like fun, I'm excited about the new gameplay mechanics. Story wise I doubt it will be anywhere near the original. This game is more of a "military school, party and meet hot girls" type mentality I'm thinking. It'll probably have much more immature themes.

Transcends lowly masses
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    This game is more of a "military school, party and meet hot girls" type mentality I'm thinking. It'll probably have much more immature themes.
    That's pretty much how it ended up in my eyes. This trailer makes it look a lot more serious than it is, heh.
    I said this elsewhere describing the developers' focus in telling their story:
    ...to show you where the focus of this story lies, let's first etablish that because it's on PSP, there are far fewer scenes that are *fully* animated and voiced. But you know which one made it into that golden few? Chesty McJugs and the schoolgirls go to the pool! Kawaiiii!! ...Yet at a dozen other, more serious points in the game, they're sticking with the still frames and spot-voicing. =/
    It's a solid game though. The battles are still that special brand of Valkyria greatness.

I played the demo and it was pretty fun, although getting used to using waypoints is going to be kind of annoying. I didn't like how you had to move everyone to the point, set them to "standby" and then use a whole new turn to bring them up on the next part. For the small bit I played, it did seem to balance this out a little.. you weren't just getting completely murdered on the other side.

It's a little disappointing that they are bringing down the age demographic and putting in some stupid stuff, but it seems like the gameplay will more than make up for it (also I'll admit to liking silly, stereotypical anime stuff lol)

Anyone else annoyed with how the red-head hero and the main girl look? I feel like they walked off Tokimeki Memorial and into this.

I agree about the school setting turning serious situations into immature (go Japan).

I love the PS3 game, but I hated how young and adorable the characters were... where's the PTSD and shellshock?!?
    Of course, I guess I'm asking a lot... especially when I wanna see some realism in a game that has glowing-blue battle vixens and a winged-pig mascot.... oh anime, you're so silly sometimes.
    Que Sera Sera

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    RPGLAND said the story was rather mediocre ...
    The other thing that stood out to me in that review is that the game is apparently much longer than the original . . . 80-200 hours long depending on how many side missions you do.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    It's a new cast etc but a few of the characters from VC1 are supposedly recruitable (like Aika/Vyse were in VE1).

There's nothing like anime-style mood whiplash, which I reckon this game fit in a decent amount Couldn't play the first but did watch a playthrough and am looking forward to it nonetheless (and Europe release in the same week as US, woooo)
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)