Thread: The Third SaGa is Reborn

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

The Third SaGa is Reborn

Apocalyptic floods, noble gods, magic swords, cyborgs, flying weaponized time machines, and inter-dimensional war. I really don't think I need to say much more about why I liked Final Fantasy Legend 3 so much. It is finally getting the remake it deserves.

I can't wait!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

Never got into the old Saga games, I guess I'm somewhat dubious about how good a former Game Boy title can be ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Saga 3 had a world map with time travel in it years before Chrono Trigger came out. That alone makes it totally awesome.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

I absolutely adored this game when it first game out. The first time I played Chrono Trigger, I renamed the Epoch to "Talon."

No idea if the original would still hold up well, but I hope the remake is good (and that we get it)...

I'm still disappointed that Saga 2 wasn't localized. And at this point I think we should give up hope that it will happen.... and as a result, it is pointless to think or hope Saga 3 will make an appearance.

If you tell me there is a Saga title licensed for here, then sure lets hope. But we all know that if there isn't a name licensed for NA at this point. Then we have already lost that battle.

The U.S. SaGa audience seems to have been written off. The wonderswan color remake of the first Gameboy title.... ok, I can see that one not coming. The extremely nice looking DS SaGa2 remake? IMHO the best of the gameboy SaGas? That not coming over is a travesty.

I can't help but feel saddened by this announcement... just another game not getting released here.

So is this more like the old SaGa games or the SaGa games on the PSX?

This is like neither. SaGa 1 & SaGa 2 were both released here as Final Fantasy Legends I & II and were both Kawazu directed games. SaGa 3 (this game) was released as Final Fantasy Legends III and was more like a traditional Final Fantasy game than anything even close to a SaGa title. This one was headed up by Chihiro Fujioka, director of Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, though don't hold that against him.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Man of all the games, why couldn't it be a Romancing SaGa 3 remake?

I mean I'll buy this if it comes out here because I'm a sucker for SaGa but this is not one of the better entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Man of all the games, why couldn't it be a Romancing SaGa 3 remake?

I mean I'll buy this if it comes out here because I'm a sucker for SaGa but this is not one of the better entries.
    I didn't hate this one, but difficulty was a bit broken. They made it far too easy to abuse the robot/cyborg/etc continuum to have over-powered characters. Saga 2 had a better story, and the Creator in SaGa 1 was at least an interesting antagonist.

After playing Romancing SaGa 3, if they were to remake it, I'd kinda prefer an XBLA/PSN release to a 3DS one.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    I didn't hate this one, but difficulty was a bit broken. They made it far too easy to abuse the robot/cyborg/etc continuum to have over-powered characters. Saga 2 had a better story, and the Creator in SaGa 1 was at least an interesting antagonist.

After playing Romancing SaGa 3, if they were to remake it, I'd kinda prefer an XBLA/PSN release to a 3DS one.
    Me too, but a portable release would be more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, though don't hold that against him.
    It's funny how you say that, since I remember the original SaGa 3 being quite like that game in a few ways. Off the top of my head I recall both allowing you to jump around in the towns and dungeons, and the art style of the enemies was pretty similar. I like both, though I did play that game before SaGa 3, since I didn't have have a Gameboy at it's initial release, I only had one when Sunsoft did a reprint of all the Final Fantasy Legends and Final Fantasy Adventure.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    One thing I immediately noticed the first time I played Mystic Quest is that some of the game's sprites were taken from FFL3, specifically the respawning treasure chests, some of the townspeople, and random background features.