Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ys: The Oath in Felghana Gets a Limited Edition

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Ys: The Oath in Felghana Gets a Limited Edition

Are you ready to make an oath of loyalty to XSEED Games and the Ys series? Glorious music and art await for those who are willing.

I think this is great! It's one of the best Ys games that we never got and finally we can have it. The soundtrack alone is enough to buy this collector edition.
    Last edited by LordKaiser; 09-07-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

This is the sort of thing we want to avoid on the forums. It's basically the same as saying the game sucks, only reverse polarity.
    Why is it great?
    Do you like artbooks? This art specifically?
    Do you like soundtracks? This soundtrack specifically? <-This is why I'm getting this. Best soundtrack EVAR.
    Do you like collector editions in general?

It's not more than great for me because I don't have a PSP...
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Now, what I understood about the Ys 7 limited edition was that the art book contained art from previous games in the Ys series, eliminating the need for collector's editions of the other Ys games coming from XSEED. I guess that's not the case now.

Nah, not eliminating the need for collector's edition of the other titles, but an artbook in said collector's editions because the one with Ys Seven already had art for the other 2 titles.
    Soundtrack and other goodies are still happening.

Elena's skirt is partially on the side of the LE box of Ys Seven, so I assume when lining all 3 of the LE Ys titles up it'll form a picture.

Anyways, waiting for this, beat Ys Seven but now doing nightmare on it, but really can't wait for The Oath in Felghana, and a premium edition is icing on the cake, and $39.99 is great.
    Granted the $49.99 for Ys Seven LE was more than worth it with those contents, and I can show my Ys fandom at work with this desktop calendar.

Not as swanky as the Ys 7 bundle, sadly.

Considering buying it just for the musical selection, nonetheless.

Figured it wouldn't be as swanky since the map and artbook covered other games and not just Seven, but it is $10 cheaper.
    The desktop calendar and soundtrack are fine by me, and makes me wonder what we'll see in the LE of Ys I & II Chronicles, assuming there is one.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    This is fantastic news!

Oath in Felghana has basically the best soundtrack ever. It's worth it.

I've already got the Japanese LE with the stack of soundtracks it came with, but I'll buy this anyway just because you XSeed guys are cool.

Oath in Felghana is just fantastic all around.

As an aside, the Musical Selections CD in this bundle will contain an Oath in Felghana PSP track that's never before been released on CD! So yeah... all you collectors out there, take note! (:

-Tom

This needs to be at my house. I shall make it so, soon enough.

This is a great Ys game, and I truly love it, I had it on TurboGrafx CD with full cutscenes. However, the point I am trying to make is Ys 3 exists in the states, "technically" so does YS 4. GIVE US YS 5 DAMN you!

Felghana is very different from Ys III. It may be a remake... but make no mistake, it's not the same game at all.

Don't want to sound like a salesman, so I won't say any more than that... I just wanted to make sure people understood that as remakes go, this is probably the single most thorough, renewing remake of all time.

I agree, however: an Ys V remake would be outstanding. Ys V needs one, pretty badly!

-Tom

Yeah we know Felghana is to Ys III what Metroid:Zero Mission is to the first Metroid game.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Yeah we know Felghana is to Ys III what Metroid:Zero Mission is to the first Metroid game.
    Even more than that, I'd say. Metroid: Zero Mission still had the same basic gameplay of Metroid, it was just smoothed out. Felghana, though, plays COMPLETELY differently. It would be like if Metroid 1 were remade in 3D using the Metroid Prime engine... but even better, since I don't like Metroid Prime. (:

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    So, let me try to understand this... Ys III as it was in 1990 is no longer a part of this game? Everything I've seen of it is more like 7 in almost every way. I miss the ORIGINAL Ys III: Wanderers of Ys. I had no idea they were going to re-engineer it completely. Oath of Felghana I thought was the 4th game in the series, and not the third. What are they doing here exactly? From a distant viewpoint, it looks like they're re-writing the entire series to fit 7's new style and not remaking the original games at all. Can someone please tell me what exactly is going on here? Did Sammy do something to the series that screwed up the chronology or something? And before anyone starts, yes, I do know that Falcom is the real programmer of the series. IOW, did they release them like FFIII and 6 got interchanged, or something like that? I don't recall Oath of Felghana being the third game in the series at any time. ~_~ I'm so lost.
    Last edited by Macstorm; 09-10-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Ys not Y's anal Falcom fan edit

It's simpler than that; Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a complete remake of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. The basic story and structure of the plot is the same, but everything else (the combat engine, music, dungeons, script, etc.) has been vastly improved and fleshed out. While I enjoyed Ys III, most fans consider it to be the weakest game in the series, and Felghana transforms it into the best. It's hard to come up with an appropriate analogy; I can't think of any other games that have had as complete a remake as Oath in Felghana. Maybe Wild Arms: Alter Code F is similar in scope? (although OiF pulls it off much better than ACF did)

For what it's worth, OiF is more similar in style to Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim or Ys Origin than Ys VII, although there are still a few significant differences from those.

"Remake" almost seems like a bad description. Re-imagining maybe?