Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 24 - I Don't Believe It!

Cosmo Nova RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 24 - I Don't Believe It!

Listen here.
    In the past, a Dream Team of Japan's developers created a certain RPG. In the present, we talk about how that game has endured over the years. Meanwhile, in an alternate future, a DeLorean is racing back to make sure this game gets made.
    'The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread.' So this is it, huh folks?

YOR'S WORLD HE'S THE MAN YOR'S WORLD!

Damn that song is catchy.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    YOR'S WORLD HE'S THE MAN YOR'S WORLD!

Damn that song is catchy.
    I feel like I am at fault for that one.

Devious Dungeon Master RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Hey...Nyxy...do we have our new review system editorial yet?

Did you hear the intro I did? Your review system is SOOOO good, I gave it a spot there

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    We're gonna need a lot more hemp before we're through.

New Member New Registered User The Spartan's Avatar
    Is there any reason these episode descriptions are always esoteric? It's far from being cute or clever. Why not just say, "RPG Backtrack Epsiode 24 : Chrono Trigger"? It would be less annoying that way.
    Last edited by The Spartan; 09-11-2010 at 03:03 AM.
    o.v.g

Masamune: alarm bells started ringing in my head there.
    You correctly point out that was originally "Grand Lyon" (or similar translation) in Chrono Trigger and not actually the Masamune at all.
    However you forgot to look up the original name for Chrono Cross' Masamune. Turns out it was "Grand Lyon", making it the same sword after all.

Wait battle mode: it's actually just like the Final Fantasy games. Time keeps going while you select a command and waits if you go into a menu (e.g. the magic menu).

As for the Queen Zeal battle leading straight into the Lavos one, I died of course but thought "what if I just try beating Lavos first?"
    Well it turns out you can save and exit after that initial battle, so when I went back I only had to deal with the queen which is much easier.

Sonic Chronicles: The problem with the battle system was that it was like Elite Beat Agents, but without the pacing due to gaps of doing nothing.
    (I.e. Quickly recognise and react to your attack's moves, so you can act them out. But then you mind slows down as the enemy attacks/etc. Then quickly recognise and react to the next one.)
    I guess it was a nice idea, but wasn't executed particularly well.

There was one thing I felt it had in common with Chrono Trigger, Dual Techs (by another name in SC). And to fault CT with this as well, the problem with these is that it takes two character's turns, but are rarely as good as two single techs.
    That is pretty much the only fault I can find with CT though. (Unless we want to look at the DS one's bonuses.)

Argueably everyone hadn't played the FF4 in Final Fantasy Chronicles, but lets not get into that topic again.

Dragon Quest 4: I think the idea was to show the back stories of all those random people you end up collecting in a RPG. It's a bit of a shame they didn't have the foresight to further develop them at the end too.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan View Post
    Is there any reason these episode descriptions are always esoteric? It's far from being cute or clever. Why not just say, "RPG Backtrack Epsiode 24 : Chrono Trigger"? It would be less annoying that way.
    It has to do with the hosts' sense of fun and whimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    It has to do with the hosts' sense of fun and whimsy.
    Is is not possible to write (Chrono Trigger) in a small caption at the bottom of the post? You can even cover it with a spoiler tag if you like. As it stands Backtrack is a bit like a lucky dip, I often wait to download it until a few people have commented so that I know which game is featured.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

I guess I'll have to do that in future, now that I know my efforts to have fun with this stuff aren't reciprocated.

Isn't there a way you can do both?

It's not that we don't appreciate the effort, it's just that it would be nice to have some way of knowing what we're getting before we download the podcast, so that we don't inadvertently download a Magna Carta: ToB backtrack, or something painful like that.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    I guess I'll have to do that in future, now that I know my efforts to have fun with this stuff aren't reciprocated.
    I appreciate it!

That said, the pun didn't exactly match the subject the way they normally do (the sting "point" one being the best of the bunch). I certainly DON'T want the fun lines to go away, but they should at least be a play on the game at hand. This one felt like a bit of a phone-in.

On another note, while it's still quite the big file, you're improving. Little more fine tuning and you'll be as easy to fit on an MP3 player as RPGCast.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Phill, Glenn and the crew I must say that I am highly entertained by this podcast. At first I was reluctant after the show had changed hands (listened from first to last a few months back) but now i can't get enough of this. You guys do a great job! I am always extremely interested in what you guys are saying and the games you explore. Experiencing these games vicariously through this podcast is awesome. Long days at work and long drives stand no chance now, im entertained.

FFIX ftw!!!

Devious Dungeon Master RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdawgtuk View Post
    Phill, Glenn and the crew I must say that I am highly entertained by this podcast. At first I was reluctant after the show had changed hands (listened from first to last a few months back) but now i can't get enough of this. You guys do a great job! I am always extremely interested in what you guys are saying and the games you explore. Experiencing these games vicariously through this podcast is awesome. Long days at work and long drives stand no chance now, im entertained.
    Aww...thanks. ... yer makin' us blush!

As far as the file size...I'm not sure I want to go much lower than that...it's almost 100 megs for over two hours...that isn't toooo bad. I hate for our music to sound all crummy cuz of compression. If it was just voice, it wouldn't be as noticeable. I don't know about y'all, but the few minutes of music in between segments, intro, etc, are my favorite part.

Mike, maybe we can list the games we're talking about in the description...granted...we talk about a lot of games sometimes :P

MC, how much space do you have? 100mb doesn't seem that big for most players today; both of my bottom of the line players are over 1 gb.

100mb seems quite reasonable to me, and I do enjoy the music!

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I want to pick up the DS version of Chrono Trigger, but none of the stores in my area have it. Heck, I did see it in a store once, but I didn't have enough money at the time. When I finally did, it was gone! :P

Ah well, there's always Amazon. . .
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 09-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    DS Chrono is worth it. The combat system overhaul is nifty.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Plus getting the SNES cart is quite a bit more expensive, but if you like hunting eBay bargains, go for it.