Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Opening Movie

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Final Fantasy XIV Opening Movie

A spectacular vision of adventure and war awaits. Think of this as a nice present for anyone who simply can't wait for the game to come out.

CGI + Square Enix = Awesomeness.

It can't be denied.

SE also released some additional information at the same event where they revealed this.

Quote Originally Posted by My Linkshell Forums
    # Retrying guildleves: The best way to level is with guildleves, that is, even without the guardian's favor, you will earn way more exp and skill points per each kill. For this reason, we wanted to prevent abusive use of leves by killing all the monsters but failing right at the end and then retrying on the spot. However, if you visit the NPC that gave you the leve, you can retry it.
    # There will be hardware mouse support!
    # We believe that the item selection interface should be very responsive, and by release we will have introduced a MUCH improved version. After release we will continue improving this.
    # The FFXIV development team acknowledged that there's issues with the mouse and user interface and apologized about it. Hardware Mouse + UI improvements will be a major focus for them.
    # There will be package discount pricing on the subscription (Japan-3months, NA/EU 3/6 months)
    # Due to game balance consideration, the level cap on release will be 50
    # We will change it so you do not lose disabled abilities when changing class any more. [assume this means they won't leave the ability bar, they will probably just gray]
    # Physical stat distribution will affect both crafting and gathering classes as much as it does everyone else.
    # There aren't any "open world" NMs outside of guildleves.
    # New hairstyles will be added, as well as the ability to change hairstyle in game after you make your character.
    # Crafters will be able to cooperate in large-scale projects (boats, cannons, wedding cakes! YUM) so more fun for you and your company!
    # There will be guildleves where crafters and adventurers have to cooperate.
    # The guildleve issue will be fixed so they cooldown will be significantly decreased from 48 hours.
    # Anima regeneration will have to be raised since you'll have to travel more for more frequent guildleves.
    # The faction leves have you fight different beastman tribes and such.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Very much looking forward to the game. The beta was a mess, but that's why it's called what it's called.

Happy to hear about the mouse/UI improvements. Those were dealbreakers for me in the beta.

New Member New Registered User
    Still hoping there will be more to the game than guildleves...

Quote Originally Posted by Bregan View Post
    Still hoping there will be more to the game than guildleves...
    There will be. The guildleves/factionleves are basically the end game content we have at release. I am sure we will see NMs become a huge part of the game and at the event they also mentioned that there will be PvP added in the future.

Also anyone catch the male Mithra (Miqo'te whatever...) reference in the trailer? She clearly mentioned her father Also at the end the Hyur had a Greatsword (a type of weapon unseen in the game so far) and the Mithra's last line was "Let's give the Bards something to sing about" Sounds like a few hints to me

Gaaaaawd, I loved this opening movie. If releasing it was supposed to make me want the game, mission accomplished, Squeenix.

Hmm...

I genuinely am thinking about trying this game out now. Though a little long, it was a nice cinematic sequence. The English voices (with the accents) were a nice touch.

It's pretty....

And it reminds me strongly of FFXII, which is a good thing. I'm bothered by the super-generic main character's face though. He makes magazine models look interesting. You get to customize faces though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lithorose View Post
    It's pretty....

And it reminds me strongly of FFXII, which is a good thing. I'm bothered by the super-generic main character's face though. He makes magazine models look interesting. You get to customize faces though, right?
    That isnt the main character just one SE uses for trailers and what not. The main character is the character you create be it a Hyur, Elezen, Lalafel, Miqo'te, or Roegadyn. So it will look however you made them look.

The cinematic was most exciting. If I didn't have a burning hatred for MMO's I'd seriously consider giving this game a try. As it stands, though, all it makes me do is wish it was an offline game. It's damn shame to see such an interesting setting wasted on an MMO.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

Hmmm... I wonder why developers still do these crazy CG intros... people watch them once or twice, and then thats that. Seems like an awful waste of time and resources. Those CGs can't be cheap or easy to produce.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I assume it's worth the money as a marketing tool.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Sure. To me it just seems like a holdover from the PSX era.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lithorose View Post
    It's pretty....

[open beta character]

So many more options for faces than FFXI had.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    game looks cool but it still completely boggles my mind as to why se decided yet again to gender limit the mithra and galka races again. i mean this is a brand new mmo, this was the perfect opportunity to not only lift those gender restrictions, but create brand new races as well.

i'd like to play this game, i just hope that the too many similarities to the first mmo don't irk me into not enjoying the game. we'll see i guess. i plan to get the ps3 version so whatever kinks there are should be hopefully ironed out by then, although kink ironing is a lifelong neverending process with mmos.
    sup?

Looks like the trailer that premiered at PAX. No doubt that it looks pretty, but I was actually a bit disappointed by what I saw gameplay-wise. If my graphics card didn't turn out to be incompatible with the beta, I'd likely have more to say. I think I'll continue to avoid MMORPGs and their gameplay rut.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Yeah, Valve credits a lot of the reason they do the Meet the Team videos to marketing/buzz.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Looks like the trailer that premiered at PAX. No doubt that it looks pretty, but I was actually a bit disappointed by what I saw gameplay-wise. If my graphics card didn't turn out to be incompatible with the beta, I'd likely have more to say. I think I'll continue to avoid MMORPGs and their gameplay rut.
    Until the Old Republic of course, which will be GOD incarnate.

www.powerlinemag.com