Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide Your Souls, From Software's Returning

Hide Your Souls, From Software's Returning

If you liked, or in our case loved, Demon's Souls then this announcement will be of interest. From Software has rounded up the team to make another dark action RPG.

Story
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Hooray for a 360 version this time! Let's just hope its as good as Demon's Souls (apparently) is.

As much as I hate sequelitis. I'm disappointed to see the IP go. It makes me think that so many of the gameplay innovations and setup of Demon's Souls that made it great won't be present in this one, like it needs to be change sufficiently to make it seem like a new IP.

I dunno, I have a 360 and a PS3, but I wouldn't have minded a PS3 only exclusive if it meant the IP was salvaged.

No one's said the IP is gone. They've not named the game yet, could very well be Demon's Souls II or Dark Souls as has been rumored. The gameplay could be very much the same, they've just not said yet.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    No one's said the IP is gone. They've not named the game yet, could very well be Demon's Souls II or Dark Souls as has been rumored. The gameplay could be very much the same, they've just not said yet.
    Sony owns the IP for Demon's Souls, so, it seems unlikely with an announcement for a 360 release stateside that this one would be called Demon's Souls (2).

Indeed, it may not be Demons Souls 2, but it could be a spiritual successor much in the vein of the first.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Indeed, it may not be Demons Souls 2, but it could be a spiritual successor much in the vein of the first.
    This sir, is what I'm praying for.

Banned Banned
    Great news. Even if it's not Demon's Souls II, the developers have proved they know their way around this genre, so I'm expecting another fantastic game. And if that's the case, who really cares if it says "Demon's Souls II" or something else on the cover?

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Huzzah!

Now let's just hope that we get another Demon's Souls or 3D Dot Game Heroes and not another Enchanted Arms.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Here's a translation of the press release from Namco Bandai via NeoGAF.

From Software and Bandai Namco Games are working together to develop "Project Dark (Working Title)" on the Playstation3 and Xbox360, planned for release in the year 2011.

In Japan the game will be published by From Software on the PS3, Bandai Namco Games will be publishing the game on the PS3 and Xbox360 outside of Japan.

"Project Dark (Working Title)" is a brand new dark fantasy RPG designed to completely embrace the concepts of tension in dungeon exploration, fear in encountering enemies, the joy of new discoveries, and a high sense of achievement in progressing. The game is set in a dark fantasy world filled with decadent atmosphere, with a heavy emphasis on player freedom in discovering various tactics and strategies to use in weapon based combat.

The game will also feature a brand new network system, allowing players to share play content with others. players will be able to share their common experiences from adventuring with other players without requiring direct communication.

Both companies are working together to share their individual strengths in pushing this title forward - From Software's development expertise and Bandai Namco Games' extensive overseas expansion.

Please look forward to a new dark fantasy RPG experience which pushes the sense of accomplishment in gameplay to the limit.

More details are planned to be released early in 2011.
    It doesn't have to be called Demon's Souls II to BE Demon's Souls II.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Bandai Namco Games' extensive overseas expansion.
    Somehow this makes me laugh. I wonder why?
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I get the feeling that this game is a DARK fantasy. Don't turn up your brightness! It's ok, it's DARK.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Here's a translation of the press release from Namco Bandai via NeoGAF.

It doesn't have to be called Demon's Souls II to BE Demon's Souls II.

Shared content without direct communication, fear in encountering enemies, high sense of achievement in progressing, decadent atmosphere... all that sounds good. I can't help but worry a little bit, when the more mainstream folks get a hold of these sorts of things. I've loved games like Vesperia to death, but I don't want Namco's input anywhere in this title... thanks for that though, it's very heartening.

Nice to Demon's Souls might end up on the 360 in one way or another, and I hope it does so with the smallest amount of change possible, but I fully expect the game to be watered down to mediocre status. Here's hoping, but I'm not betting on it.

Why do you expect it to be watered down? Demons Souls wasn't and it has done spectacularly!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    Shared content without direct communication, fear in encountering enemies, high sense of achievement in progressing, decadent atmosphere... all that sounds good. I can't help but worry a little bit, when the more mainstream folks get a hold of these sorts of things. I've loved games like Vesperia to death, but I don't want Namco's input anywhere in this title... thanks for that though, it's very heartening.
    That's good. Thankfully Namco is just the publisher, so hopefully they will just like From recreate their magic. It was Sony publishing the first one in Japan, so the game was what it was before Atlus got a hold of it, plus Namco published DS1 in Europe without problems. I'm with you on not wanting Namco involved, but hopefully they won't be.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Man 2 years ago I would have thought we were all crazy for being excited about a From Software game. How the times have changed.

That's good. Thankfully Namco is just the publisher, so hopefully they will just like From recreate their magic. It was Sony publishing the first one in Japan, so the game was what it was before Atlus got a hold of it, plus Namco published DS1 in Europe without problems. I'm with you on not wanting Namco involved, but hopefully they won't be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Man 2 years ago I would have thought we were all crazy for being excited about a From Software game. How the times have changed.
    http://kotaku.com/5641393/yup-projec...demons-souls-2
    Just saw this video, there's not much to see, but it looks very similar. Very Demon-soulsy.

@Wheels
    From has a hit and miss reputation, Enchanted Arms was pretty... uh... average, but was pretty traditional as far as jrpgs. I think they're probably better sticking to their roots. I've been playing King's Field games since the PS1. I've always thought of them more as niche than "bad".

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I mean I've played a bunch of the Armored Core games, so I'd never call From a bad developer! Just never thought they'd be in position to put out such a huge game. I suppose they've learned a thing or two after all these years! Can't wait for this game.

I really think of this as the times favouring the type of game that Demon's Souls was. The WRPG and dark fantasy are in vogue at the moment, while the vast majority of games are growing easier with every passing year, leaving a sizeable chunk of gamers hungry for a more masochistic challenge, and thus leaving a huge opening for the type of RPG that From Software seems to have been making for some time now. Thus, circumstances have aligned to allow From Software to virtually corner a modest section of the market.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!