Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Black - Import Impression

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Pokemon Black - Import Impression

You say you want an evolution...

The Sapphic Swordswoman Goddess Atma's Avatar
    Well then, good news for you! You won't encounter any older generation Pokemon until you beat it! It's essentially a series reboot, and to give us old fans like me and new players a warm welcome, they're going as old style as possible to replicate that new, unexplored feeling Red and Blue had. That combined with all kinds of other cool sounding features like that first gym, and the last gym leader will be different depending on which version you have, alongside version exclusive locations and whatnot combined with the New York/American flair....

It all sounds and looks fantastic so far. I can't wait to get White in the spring.
    I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    This, I read, and it's not spoileriffic at all. Sounds like great news, especially the improved storyline.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    All I keep thinking about now is my three year old nephew yelling "My pokeymans, my pokeymans!" at me. Since I skipped HeartGold and SoulSilver, I'll definitely be playing this one when it arrives. I also will be playing as the girl with the awesome shorts.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    The newest generation of Pokemon has always become my most anticipated game, and this time is no different. True, I wasn't as impressed and even wanted Xenoblade more, until I heard more details about the game, that is. I also really like how original the new Pokemon are. I loved the fourth generation, but I was disappointed with how it seems Game Freak ran out of Pokemon ideas quickly and threw in several evolutions and pre-evolutions.

And yay for multi-use TMs! I was hoping they'd introduce a sort of catalogue system, but this is even better. Now I don't have to replay Pokemon Colosseum a dozen times to get the Earthquake TMs I need (which would be impossible for Black and White anyway since Pokemon transferred from earlier generations can't be holding items. :P)
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    This, I read, and it's not spoileriffic at all. Sounds like great news, especially the improved storyline.
    I figured the info on the first gym might count

Want me to share a personal rant on the fourth gym leader's strategy? I'd be more than willing, grr....

I don't know how this works, since I've only purchased one pokemon game, but would I be able to trade pokemon from Platinum to Black/White? I'm slowly working my way through Platinum at the moment.

I haven't gotten to the point where I can do that, but it's possible. There may be some limitations (like no held items). The only thing I can compare it to would be how it worked trading between the original games and Gold/Silver, but I'm sure there are differences.

Once you've obtained the National Pokedex (likely obtained after you beat the Elite Four and Champ, I believe), you can unlock a feature called the PokeShifter to transfer six Pokemon at a time from any of the generation four games. It requires you to play a silly little mini-game to transfer the Pokemon over, but once you've got them all, you can send over six more. It does require the usage of two DSes, however. Also, aside from not having held items, the Pokemon cannot know any HM moves.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 09-24-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Wait... changes to the Pokemon format? The end of the world is near!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Ah, thanks for explaining that for me . My girlfriend has a DS too, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So have you used the tag function at all? I was hearing that it was like a passive version of DQIX's tag system that you didn't have to go into a special mode to get to work. Any details?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

You can activate the C-Gear at startup or at any time outside of battle, and it'll automatically start scanning the area for linkups. this is what your bottom screen looks like when it's scanning. Whenever you've got a possible connection, the appropriate section starts glowing. Unfortunately, I haven't had much chance to try it yet. The same temporary changes in my daily schedule that are throwing off JP also keep me off the trains during the hours most likely to have lots of people playing.

So my husband got frustrated in HeartGold because the wild Pokemon weren't very diversely typed... lots of normal and a crapload of water and rock, a few flying and grass, and not a lot else in most areas. He wants to know if there's more diversity this time 'round.

Not sure how often encountered they are, but there are a ton of Fighting types this generation. Dark types are also plentiful.

Oh good, he loves Dark Pokemon. That should assuage him. Granted, he always *says* he's not playing one more damn Pokemon game, then buys whichever version I didn't get and becomes engrossed in it.

Last Pokemon games I played were Gold and Silver(the originals not the DS remakes), I may give a shot.

The Sapphic Swordswoman Goddess Atma's Avatar
    You all can see a complete listing of what Pokemon are in Isshu along with their types and such here. Personally, as a dragon/fire/ground user, this is looking like the perfect generation for me.
    I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form.

Do HMs used outside of battle still do everything in their power to waste your time? -_-

i.e. Instead of just clicking on the tree and being done with it...
    "This tree looks like it can be cut.
    Would you like to use Cut?
    Yes/No (Of course I want to use Cut! WHY ELSE WOULD I CLICK ON THE TREE, BLARRGH...)
    Pokemon used Cut!"
    (followed by a 5-second animation)

I'm also curious if some of the unnecessary text in battles has been cut to make them move faster. Things like "X is fast asleep" and "X takes damage from poison" shouldn't be necessary if there are animations to show this, right?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Pokemon, but there are some archaic mechanics that really need to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Soulweaver View Post
    Do HMs used outside of battle still do everything in their power to waste your time? -_-

i.e. Instead of just clicking on the tree and being done with it...
    "This tree looks like it can be cut.
    Would you like to use Cut?
    Yes/No (Of course I want to use Cut! WHY ELSE WOULD I CLICK ON THE TREE, BLARRGH...)
    Pokemon used Cut!"
    (followed by a 5-second animation)

I'm also curious if some of the unnecessary text in battles has been cut to make them move faster. Things like "X is fast asleep" and "X takes damage from poison" shouldn't be necessary if there are animations to show this, right?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Pokemon, but there are some archaic mechanics that really need to die...
    Well, personally, I consider text more important than animation when it comes to telling the player what's going on. If you want battles to move more quickly, there's always the option of turning off the animations. It makes wild encounters a breeze.