Thread: RPGCast - Episode 146: "Self Absorbed"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 146: "Self Absorbed"

RPGCast - Episode 146: "Self Absorbed"

Americans are apparently too busy to notice the great things going on around them. So we point out some of the things they may be missing like GOG's hoax, 3DS's specs, Milo's sacking, Nomura's game announcements, and PC digital download sales.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/146

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Self Absorbed"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

------------------------------------

Download Garrett Lindquist's Honor in the West: http://www.rpgamer.com/rpgcast/userm...the%20West.mp3

Honor in the West Mp3 Download link: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b38g...n_the_West.mp3

It sounds way better as a high quality mp3 file. Thanks for playing it! It thrills me when I hear members on the show excited to hear them!

Also as far as Breath of Death VII, I actually purchased it while I listened to the interview on the Cast. That game has some great charm!
    Last edited by gdawgtuk; 09-25-2010 at 07:36 PM.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    In addition, the tracking firm appears to lack agreements with the majority of digital retailers. This means that the figures cited are extrapolated from third-party tracking. The firm attempts to divine PC game purchase habits from surveys, using anywhere from 8,000 to 180,000 individuals on the NPD online consumer panel, depending on which of its methods it chooses.
    Forgive me if I'm skeptical in light of this. This is an enormous discrepancy as they're not comparing like with like. To compare hard statistics against a mere handful of people is absolutely asinine, and digital apologists look even dumber than usual when they do this crap.

As to GOG, there's a difference between this and hotel overbooking. GOG used their consumers, not to mention their consumers' worst fear, as a marketing ploy. As someone who also has a ton of games with GOG, I can say with full confidence that this is just plain offensive. Consumers shouldn't be treated as a toy to be played with.

Oh, and for noodle, Nintendo's still doing the angry eye thing for Kirby in America. Apparently he's also taking care of other.... business. Discuss.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Ha ha ha, the exact same discussion about that picture happened independently on the Penny Arcade forums. "What happened to Kirby?" indeed.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I decided to spend 80 Microsoft points on BD7 mostly because of the podcast interview (I distinctly remember a specific mention of a Phantasy Star 4 joke, which is classy), and because its reviews on RPGamer were decent. But I haven't got around to it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by caddyalan View Post
    I decided to spend 80 Microsoft points on BD7 mostly because of the podcast interview (I distinctly remember a specific mention of a Phantasy Star 4 joke, which is classy), and because its reviews on RPGamer were decent. But I haven't got around to it yet...
    Its worth the time. Find a time when you can blow a couple hours on your day and go nuts. The game is short but even still 6 hours of play for $0.99 is a deal me to (seeing most dlc is $12 for 4 hours of play these days).
    Last edited by gdawgtuk; 09-26-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Oh yeah sorry but I forgot to shamelessly plug my video. If anyone is curious about getting into making music with either this program or others I am more than happy to help. I'm getting into making more tutorials and walkthroughs for people to benefit from. I can also provide sample saves, assistance with creating riff and such for songs, etc. I was thinking of setting up a help and song purchase page with a donate option which I would send to extra life. Just something I can do to help out even though my finances are tight.

Last edited by gdawgtuk; 09-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Forgive me if I'm skeptical in light of this. This is an enormous discrepancy as they're not comparing like with like. To compare hard statistics against a mere handful of people is absolutely asinine, and digital apologists look even dumber than usual when they do this crap.
    Except that "hard statistics" about retail are still sampling-based estimates, as not all retailers submit data to, for example, the NPD group. Assuming this study is constructed well, the online consumer panel has more than a sufficient sample size to make reliable estimates. Elections are called based on far smaller samples.

I see nothing to need to "apologize" for in my preferred means of purchasing games. I'm among those who enjoy the variable pricing, cloud support, and ease of transportation provided by digital distribution.

True enough, but it's still tiny survey vs most non-Wal-mart places.

And I see no problem with DD myself, my only beef is with the evangelizing some gamers do with dd. Personally, I really only buy from GOG or Steam, and in the latter case, only when there's a sweet sale or it's an inexpensive game to start with, but I'm not going off to burn it because it's not what I prefer the say some DD nuts seem to be doing.

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    I'm going to have to start listening to the podcast to keep up with my news now!
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

I buy too many games, and they go into my pile of shame...

That said, listening to episode 146, I heard some confusion about Strawberry Eggs' avatar. It'll make sense after reading the Wikipedia entry of the series the avatar is from ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_My_Me!_Strawberry_Eggs ).

<Looks up some US Last Remnant box images>

There does seem to be a Steamworks box there, with a lot of small text hardly anyone is going to read.
    Hurray for small text that no on will read!
    I doubt I would have noticed it myself, if I was picking it up from the shelves.

Well one RPG advantage Europe has at the moment, is that they just had the Wii Virtual console release of "Mystic Quest Legend", while there's no sign of the American "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" yet.
    (Umm... although I'm still trying to think of the "advantage" here!)

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    To try to make a long story short about my avatar: My username is based on an obscure anime series called I My My! Strawberry Eggs, which is about a man who wants to become a gym teacher, but the first school he applied to only hires female teachers even though its co-ed. Solution? Dress up as a woman, of course! In this scene, he contemplates dressing up as a woman for the first time. It may be a comedy and all, but I don't see why he needs to wear panties while cross-dressing.

By the way, I just realized the game is called "Radiant Historia," not "Radiant History." >_<

And now I just saw that caddyalan provided a link to the wikipedia article on the anime, heh.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 09-27-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Not reading the whole thread through
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Panties are a must while cross dressing. So is a garter bet and stockings. *sagenod*

Speaking from experience there, Paws?

I do indeed dress like a girl sometimes. It's my secret shame. Don't hold it against me

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Finally got around to listening in (sorry, I'm slow at doing things ), really enjoyed listening - consider me subscribed ^^

Nice to the person who named their kid Isaac, I've renamed/named vast numbers of characters in various games/places after him. Also sounds like it's probably a good thing my pc only scored 500 on the FF14 benchmark test so I can't be tempted by it for a while yet, as I'll need something far more polished before I get into MMOing.

Really liked that song too
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Baldur's Gate was a great game in its own right, which was a big reason for the hype surrounding BG2 back in the day. I only got around to playing Baldur's Gate after beating BG2, and while it wasn't as good as it's sequel, it did hold up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Severin Mira View Post
    Finally got around to listening in (sorry, I'm slow at doing things ), really enjoyed listening - consider me subscribed ^^

Nice to the person who named their kid Isaac, I've renamed/named vast numbers of characters in various games/places after him. Also sounds like it's probably a good thing my pc only scored 500 on the FF14 benchmark test so I can't be tempted by it for a while yet, as I'll need something far more polished before I get into MMOing.

Really liked that song too
    I officially like Severin Mira!
    Last edited by gdawgtuk; 10-01-2010 at 02:42 PM.