Thread: ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Demo Available

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Demo Available

The brisk winds of autumn bring thoughts of rugged adventuring into a young gamer's mind. Let's strap on our armour, hoist that sword, and fight off some nasty demons in the demo for ArcaniA: Gothic 4.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Very cool, i've been waiting to see this one in action. I have mixed feelings about the series as a while ,as the firsto ne was amazing, the second one was crazy buggy and weak overall, and the third had an amazing story, but was broken. I was never able to complete it. I have high hopes for this entry, and looks beautiful.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, ArcaniA is beeing developed by a different studio than the other three. Piranah Bytes (spelling uncertain), the studio that made the first three, left JoWood and went on to create Risen. So, we'll see how this one turns out, for better or worse.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Well, ArcaniA is beeing developed by a different studio than the other three. Piranah Bytes (spelling uncertain), the studio that made the first three, left JoWood and went on to create Risen. So, we'll see how this one turns out, for better or worse.
    I hope its for better if Risen is any idication of the previous developers current generation talents.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I wasn't a huge fan of Risen but that game was a masterpiece compared to what I saw in this demo. It would take the whole Gothic fanbase lavishing their unadulterated praise on the full version to make me actually consider buying it now.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    I wasn't a huge fan of Risen but that game was a masterpiece compared to what I saw in this demo. It would take the whole Gothic fanbase lavishing their unadulterated praise on the full version to make me actually consider buying it now.
    Brutal! Risen was utterly awful, actually unplayable for me. I will get the demo today and post my impression afterwards. I hope it is not as bad as you say!

www.powerlinemag.com

What about it was unplayable? To me it just seemed like Gothic 1 with updated graphics and a new (less interesting) setting. I played the PC version though; as I understand the console port was pretty dire.

Oh god. The demo for this was utterly awful in every way, shape and form. It would literally take someone giving it to me as a gift for me to play it. And even then, I'd probably cry and ask them why they hated me so much.

Just a heads up, the PS3 version is delayed til 2011.

Joystiq has details on that: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/28/ar...-360-pc-still/

(Whatever happened to hyperlinking? I can't seem to do it anymore)

For those who don't wanna click:

Following up on a tip that GameFly had shifted the date for both console versions of Arcania: Gothic 4, we spoke to a representative for the publisher JoWood, who clarified the release schedule. The game is currently scheduled to launch on October 12 in North America (Oct. 15 in the UK) for Xbox 360 and PC. The PS3 version has been delayed until "early 2011."

A demo for Arcania is available now on Xbox Marketplace. Amazon, GameStop and Walmart currently have the PS3 version with a March 2011 release date.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbabylon View Post
    Oh god. The demo for this was utterly awful in every way, shape and form. It would literally take someone giving it to me as a gift for me to play it. And even then, I'd probably cry and ask them why they hated me so much.
    The review scores agree . . . they're significantly worse so far than Gothic III. 4/10 from Eurogamer and 5/10 from Gamespot.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I played this demo on a whim yesterday, even though I'm not really a fan of typical western RPGs and I don't know a thing about the rest of the series. The early part was indeed utterly terrible. I can't believe how unlikeable some of the characters are, and some of the voice acting is miserable (and that is ignoring the obvious disconnect between what is being said and the subtitles/actual quest information). The graphics were buggy, and it didn't really do a lot to make its story or setting stand out. Also, looting is ridiculously tedious, and I hate the exclamation marks and irritating step-by-step quest structure that wanders way too much into the realm of pointless fetch questing.

With all of that said, I actually found the last part of the dungeon crawl in that demo to be pretty fun. Once I could ignore the quests and characters and focus on fighting my way through a bunch of challenging enemies using a mix of weapons and magic, I honestly enjoyed myself. I certainly liked that combat a lot more than anything from Mass Effect or Fable. So I really don't know what to think about the game, though I doubt I'll actually get it.