Thread: Capitalism, Ho! Recettear Selling Well

Capitalism, Ho! Recettear Selling Well

If Recette is still in need of some extra cash, she might want to hit up Carpe Fulgur. Let's just say that capitalism has been very good for the company.

Story
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Yayifications! I'm so happy that this game is doing well, as it's been my biggest surprise of the year, and I'm still playing it every so often now just because there's so much content to explore in this game. I can only hope it continues to sell even more so that way we can see what else Carpe Fulgur has up their sleeves.

Congrats guys. I snagged the game and haven't had a chance to play it, but this definitely makes me feel good about my purchase.

holy crap, 26,000 at $20? that really is a huge success for such such a quirky indie rpg on the epc

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Phew, I've been holding my breath for them. The game got torrented before release, so I was worried that the sales would take a hit.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Well if you do the math....
    Let's assume over the next 11 months the game sells another 6500 new copies (in dollar sales - price drops will probably happen during this time). I think it's typical for RPGs to sell about 25% of initial sales outside the launch window in the first year.

Carpe Fulgur gets only 20% of the pie or $4 per copy. But if you multiply out... ($4 x (26000 + 6500) = $130 000). I think 65k per year is a competitive videogame industry salary. Don't you?

Chalk one up for no DRM. But because 26k people actually bought a copy, you know there's 260k people who didn't. Making this a super-popular game - probably everyone here has played it!

New Member Member
    Hopefully this mean we will see more qualities like this in the future. Maybe I am getting disillusioned in my old age but indie titles and handhelds are the only play I can get my RPG fixes now. Most of the major console RPGs are all flash and no substance, I'm looking at you FF13.

Good to hear. I bought the game but haven't played it much yet.

Play it Play it, it's great fun! I'm proud to have bought it, and I'm looking forward to more games from this company, Big Thanks to Nyx for the recommendation

Hating on FFXIII is still cool? Huh.

As for Recettear, the game is awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a spin-off anime at some point. The only thing I hate though is having to go into the menu to heal my adventurer.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    The only thing I hate about it is that my laptop's just slightly too old to handle it well.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Well if you do the math....
    Let's assume over the next 11 months the game sells another 6500 new copies (in dollar sales - price drops will probably happen during this time). I think it's typical for RPGs to sell about 25% of initial sales outside the launch window in the first year.
    Successful digitally distributed games tend to sell well for much longer than retail games do. For example, with our XBLIG RPG, we sold 11,000 copies in the first 30 days which is only about 35% of our total sales to date and we haven't even reached half a year yet.

Based on their results so far, my guess is that Recettear will sell 50k-100k in its first year, especially if they can get a couple more games out and gain some additional fans & press that way. Anyway you look at it, it's a huge success and well deserved. I look forward to playing their future releases.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.