Thread: RPGCast - Episode 147: "Chris's Pink Stylus"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 147: "Chris's Pink Stylus"

RPGCast - Episode 147: "Chris's Pink Stylus"

Nintendo opens the Kimono on 3DS launch details, Tales of the Abyss and Planescape Torment are back, Fable III has Stephen Fry, and Kirby shows off his Epic Wii. And remember, it's only two weeks till Extra Life, get those donations in.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/147

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Chris's Pink Stylus"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

---------------------------

Download Garett Lindquist's "Love Theme" here: http://www.rpgamer.com/rpgcast/userm...Love_Theme.mp3

Just wanted to throw this in here because the song needs a bit of explanation for full affect:

"I have one that I am a big fan of this weeks song but it needs a bit of an introduction for full effect. Imagine in any love comedy anime or anime inspired RPG where the two main characters, who absolutely hate each other, realize (after everyone has known since the beginning) that they are actually in love. It usually ends with them on some beach with the sun setting or a rainy street and the guy having to admit his feelings or the girl finally crying it out (*cough* Love Hina *cough*). Anyhow, there is usually some kind of sad but hopefully powerful, not to mention cheesy and cliche, anime song in the background to compliment it all. So, after a string of animes and JRPGs that ended up with these types of situations, I made my own theme. It starts out cheesy anime goodness, and ends with a slight touch of Nobeu Uematsu (which is a fancy way of me saying it has nice strings).

Enjoy! Curious to see how accurate the cast thinks I got it."

Also. I am going to work on other tutorials and walkthroughs and make them and all my songs available through FileFactory.com. Basically every 1000 downloads I get they give me $30. I want to hopefully get enough downloads to get paid multiple times because my goal is to donate 100% of it to Extra Life as Chris's Sponsor (because I live in WI too). So if possible, download everything you can!

Here some of the available music. More to come: http://www.filefactory.com/f/011abecb39e70cca/
    Last edited by gdawgtuk; 10-02-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Does anyone know why news sites are reporting the World of Darkness MMO as a "Vampire: The Masquerade" MMO? I've never played the pnp game but my understanding is that the setting was discontinued in 2004.

I haven't kept up on the news on the WoD stuff, but my guess would be that the only two games set in World of Darkness have both been Vampire: The Masquerade games (Bloodlines and Redemption). If it is a World of Darkness game, I would imagine they'd go with new WoD. If it's a Vampire game though, I think they could go with Requiem or Masquerade (New and old setting, respectively) without much trouble.

The good thing about the Masquerade setting is that it's incredibly expansive due to the sheer volume of content available for it. On the other hand, raising awareness for their new books might take priority. It could frankly go either way, but it might just be a misunderstanding.

Apparently they specifically mentioned that this would be based on the Masquerade rules/setting rather than Requiem when they revealed the game at The Grand Masquerade. Seems kind of strange to me (has there ever been a licensed CRPG that didn't use the latest edition of the rule-set it was based on?) although it may make more sense for people who's experience with the setting isn't limited to Bloodlines.

Well, this is all armchair, but from my experience with both settings, Masquerade is much more video game friendly. And what I mean by that is that there is a much more clear breakdown on do's and dont's. There are basically 3 factions. The guys that keep the order, the guys that break the rules, and the outsiders (Camarilla being the law-keepers, Sabbat being the law-breakers, and the Unaligned being everyone else, though smaller sects exist).

In Requiem, you suddenly have no Camarilla, no Sabbat. There are 5 major political groups, all of which could rule a city depending on that specific city. They're all important (intensity varying by city). So suddenly, you have to craft a much more complex system just to get the basics down.

I imagine this is one of the reasons they would go with Masquerade. It's just easier to pin that down. Not to mention that the way Bloodlines are broken down in Masquerade is much more akin to a class system than it is in Requiem, as there is a ton more crossover between clans.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I would SO play a My Little Pony MMO with Paws and Noodle. SO WOULD.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    My bet for why they went with Masquerade is that it has a bigger more loyal fanbase than Requiem (nevermind that Requiem is better), and Masquerade already has some traction with videogamers who may or may not have kept up with the changes to the tabletop game.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I would SO play a My Little Pony MMO with Paws and Noodle. SO WOULD.
    Only if I can come too. I had SO many MLPs when I was 9.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

"resset t-ear"? "resset t-air"?

Just to add fuel to the fire I've been pronouncing Recettear as "recket t-ear", to make the name into a slight pun.
    Probably isn't right, but I thought it was rather appropriate.

The GameCube's Ocarina of Time: Master Quest only has OoT and MQ. You would have gotten that free when pre-ordering the Wind Waker. (Ignoring shops that out right sold it!)

But it sounded like Chris has The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition which is the NES and N64 games, including Majora's Mask (but not OoT's Master Quest).
    It was given in a GameCube console bundle, but there were various other ways to get it (like from registering games/etc).

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    In North America, you could get the Collector's Edition by subscribing to Nintendo Power. That magazine was total and complete rubbish, but it was the best $20 I'd spent.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Only if I can come too. I had SO many MLPs when I was 9.
    YES! let's start a campaign for a my little pony MMO.

i, too, had tons of my little ponies as a kid. i also loved the show and especially the movie.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I see crossover potential. My LIttle Masquerade. :P

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I want a pink vampiric unicorn

Awesome hearing Noodles on the podcast again - that voice

Have I missed some news or other thoug - no Mikel again