Thread: Cataclysm Hits World of Warcraft Dec. 7

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Cataclysm Hits World of Warcraft Dec. 7

On the sixth night of Hanukkah, Blizzard gives the gift of a gigantic evil dragon bursting through the earth's crust and angry elementals running rampant around the world. What more could a MMORPGamer ask for?

[Story]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I was going to poke fun about them missing the release date again, but I think that only applied to the launch of Burning Crusade. Foiled again!
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

This is the first officially announced release date, so they haven't missed it yet.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I think they got Lich King out on schedule, but that had a longer development cycle than BC and Cataclysm's is the longest one yet. I think they'll probably make the shipping date this time.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Because I'll never hear the end of it otherwise, yes, I was wrong.

this announcement makes my brother happy. for me it just means when I make a mass of new characters again there will be new quests to get to level 20 or so on. I hope there's something interesting enough to make me want to level more than one character to max level.

If you've never gotten your characters very high before, you should be pleasantly surprised by the changes. Blizz has advanced by leaps and bounds in terms of quest storytelling and variety. Sure, there are still some "fetch me 5 bear pelts" quests, but there are a ton of more interesting quests as well. They've also made the new character experience better (for instance, hunters get a starter pet from the get-go) and have done a pass over all the equipment, making it make more sense.

On the topic of equipment, you also get a lot more /matching/ pieces much faster, and moving from set to set (at least up to around 30) doesn't make you want to stab your eyes out because they mesh somewhat at least. Gone are the days of ancestral woolies and cloth slippers, so your character looks considerably less ridiculous. I know it seems minor considering all of the quantitative and other qualitative changes -- and I /love/ what I've played of Cata -- but it's a BFD if you've never had a char over 20 IMO.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Sounds like fun!