Thread: Borderlands - Game of the Year Edition Hits Store Shelves on Friday

Borderlands - Game of the Year Edition Hits Store Shelves on Friday

Still haven't had a chance to pick up a gun and join the scavengers on Pandora? On Friday, 2K Games will give you all the guns you could ever want, and maybe several hundred more.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

This game was so boring. I think I spent about three hours shooting the exact same 4 or so enemies before I shelved it forever.

So... it does say "currently released DLC." Does that mean there will be more? And does that mean that this GOTY edition may soon be incmplete? I am just wondering iff anyone knows.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    So... it does say "currently released DLC." Does that mean there will be more? And does that mean that this GOTY edition may soon be incmplete? I am just wondering iff anyone knows.
    They haven't said anything about more DLC beyond #4 (Robolution) which they consider to be the "bookend" of the game. However, it's still an insane deal to grab this since you'll save $40 off the console version. Also, you get first dibs on the Duke Nukem Forever demo when that happens.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

True... perhaps what I am saying is: Is it a GOTY edition if it does not include all of the major DLC? Should developers wait until they are well and truly done with the DLC for a title before releasing these packages?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Given that i bought on launch day, i'll just wait for 50% off week for all the DLC, but that's cool that it warranted an edition like Fallout's GOTY. If there's ever a follow-up they need to make some more interaction (more NPCs?) and more diverse quests.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Seems like more and more games, especially multiplatform releases, are doing these value repackages. It's a great idea in terms of helping devs/publishers make money that would otherwise be lost to used game sales, but it seems at odds with the idea that companies want to sell as many games as possible within the first few weeks/months after launch. Perhaps companies are beginning to think about and court their more frugal customers who wait for price drops rather than buying games at launch (especially when the games are likely to have a lot of DLC)? Perhaps, as one of those frugal customers, I'm just engaging in wishful thinking? Either way, too much of this and companies are going to start losing out on launch sales as a chunk of their customers waits for the inevitable DLC-included version. Heck, I've already adopted that policy towards The Sims and anything by Bethesda.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Indeed, and it may be wise to do the same with Bioware by the looks of it.

www.powerlinemag.com

I still pick titles up for Collector's/Limited editions, such as Fallout: New Vegas, even though there will inevitably be DLC and a GotY or bundled package, I'm picking up the CE for the game.

Same thing if there's a CE for Dragon Age 2, and in the future when GTA5, Fallout 4, or Elder Scrolls V all release.

With that said, may pick this up, didn't have the money nor time for it when it first released, besides there was no CE either, and a lot of my friends enjoy it quite a bit.
    Last edited by Tiael; 10-06-2010 at 03:48 PM.

New Member New Registered User Oddeye's Avatar
    Is this for BOTH systems or just 360 that will have the DLC download codes? Resident Evil 5 Gold edtion on the 360 had download codes along with the regular game, but the PS3 version had them all on the blu-ray. Is it confirmed the PS3 version will use download codes and not include the DLC on the blu-ray? Due to the blu-ray having a lot of room, enough for the DLC, I don't see why they wouldn't go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Seems like more and more games, especially multiplatform releases, are doing these value repackages. It's a great idea in terms of helping devs/publishers make money that would otherwise be lost to used game sales, but it seems at odds with the idea that companies want to sell as many games as possible within the first few weeks/months after launch. Perhaps companies are beginning to think about and court their more frugal customers who wait for price drops rather than buying games at launch (especially when the games are likely to have a lot of DLC)? Perhaps, as one of those frugal customers, I'm just engaging in wishful thinking? Either way, too much of this and companies are going to start losing out on launch sales as a chunk of their customers waits for the inevitable DLC-included version. Heck, I've already adopted that policy towards The Sims and anything by Bethesda.
    This was (and still is) pretty common for PC games what with Blizzard's Battle Chests, the various GOTY, Gold, Black, Plutonium Pack, Editor's Choice, Puce, and Polka-Dot versions that usually wrapped up the core game with any expansions released up to that point. Maxis did this a ton with The Sims (which you already pointed out) and for RPGs I think Neverwinter Nights carries the top crown with 4 or so re-releases of various types of jewelery (Gold, Platinum, and Diamond editions) as the name. We're seeing it more because DLC is a good way to put out a bunch of small content additions over time without having to pay for retail space / publishing, and like you say it's a good incentive for the more frugal types (although the cost savings on Steam are negligible depend on when you buy it). It's was also good back in the day when everyone was on modems since PC games would usually see a few patches between the initial release and the bundled version.
    Last edited by shoptroll; 10-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Yeah, I just see a difference between the old way of repackaging games with full-length expansions and repackaging games with buttloads of DLC, which tends to have a much smaller gameplay per dollar value than expansions do. (Also, being a very old PC gamer, my frame of reference is the days when we didn't have any of them fancy expansions and stuff.)

Possibly. I know with Borderlands Ned, Knoxx, and Claptrap pretty much add enough content to be the equivalent of a full expansion pack. Or at least an expansion pack where they don't add a new player class to the game. I have no experience with Bethesda's products so I can't comment on those ones. Personally I wish more companies would take Valve and Epic's lead on the PC and just shove out free content

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Possibly. I know with Borderlands Ned, Knoxx, and Claptrap pretty much add enough content to be the equivalent of a full expansion pack. Or at least an expansion pack where they don't add a new player class to the game. I have no experience with Bethesda's products so I can't comment on those ones. Personally I wish more companies would take Valve and Epic's lead on the PC and just shove out free content
    Heh heh, that's nice, but I understand companies wanting to be paid for their efforts. I'd just really rather that companies focus on making longer, more content-rich expansions rather than many smaller pieces of DLC for their games. I don't like feeling like I'm being nickled and dimed, and I'm not sure how well it's working out for the companies, either.

New Member New Registered User Oddeye's Avatar
    Looked all around the web and no one seems to have a definite answer for the PS3 version, even on gearbox forums and they made the game. 360 will for sure use codes. Cancelling pre-orders and holding on to the regular game until it's released so we know for sure. i'm not going to pay 60 bucks on a game just to get download codes when I already have 3 out of the 4 dlcs already.

It's a good deal if you never played or bought any of the DLC though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Heh heh, that's nice, but I understand companies wanting to be paid for their efforts. I'd just really rather that companies focus on making longer, more content-rich expansions rather than many smaller pieces of DLC for their games. I don't like feeling like I'm being nickled and dimed, and I'm not sure how well it's working out for the companies, either.
    There was a report recently saying only 6% of DLC gets bought. I don't remember how that figure was reached but I agree that the profit margins are questionable. Then again, look at what Blizzard is doing with Starcraft II and the controversy that caused. Devs are screwed no matter what they do