Thread: RPGCast - Episode 148: "3D Chocobo Breeding"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 148: "3D Chocobo Breeding"

RPGCast - Episode 148: "3D Chocobo Breeding"

RPGCast really gets into the thick of it this week. We debate the merits of a FFVII remake, the merits of physical vs. virtual, and the merits of turning into a sheep to fight enemies. Also we've only one week left until Extra Life, get those donations in!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/148

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "3D Chocobo Breeding"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Did everyone else lose connection to the chat-room halfway through the live show? First the live stream was having problem, next the chat-room went.

Was happily talking about physical media for music and all, then it was as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced! ... well ok, I suppose it might have been a bit closer to 10 people ... (if we... counted the panellists?!)

When I heard the part about zombies, I wish I could have commented so badly. The original Counter-Strike has a mod for it cleverly named Zombie Mod. It has moved over to Counter-Strike Source and is still something I play to this day. The whole concept is that everyone starts out as humans, and one person randomly turns into the zombie. Their character actually switches over to the zombie model which lets you know who is good and bad, and the zombie has a lot of advantages over you as the human. He can run faster, regenerate his 4,000+ hp, etc and if he slashes you once with his knife you "poof" into a zombie as well. The game is insanely addictive and fun. In CS Source you can use the game's physics to make barricades with soda machines, etc. I play on a 60 person server on CS source which brings on some of the greatest and intense zombie battles ever. The makers of Left 4 Dead commented that they got the idea by playing Counter-Strike using special settings. They would set it up so it was like three or four real players vs 30+ A.I. who could only use knives. This essentially spawned Left 4 Dead. Anyhow, before Call of Duty zombies, by like 5 years or more, there was zombie mod for Counter-Strike and it fueled my love for zombie games.

If anyone is ever interested in playing zombie mod for Counter-Strike Source, use the filter when looking at servers and under maps type "ZM" without the quotes. This will find zombie mod servers. My Steam name is sora2k4 so feel free to add me and we can play. The mod installs automatically when joining a zombie mod server which requires roughly 0.01% of work on your part (or -0.01% I forget ).

Just wanted to throw that out there.

I did ask this in the thread for the last show, but no one has replied since, so I'll try again: no Mikel in the show again? What has happened to him? Thanks.

I definitely have been missing a good Glenn Rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
    I did ask this in the thread for the last show, but no one has replied since, so I'll try again: no Mikel in the show again? What has happened to him? Thanks.
    He has gotten pretty busy on Saturdays in general with his daughter doing stuff like ballet, but I'll poke him to see if he has a more official answer.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Nazi Zombies was NOT in Modern Warfare in 2007. The mode was introduced in 2008 with World At War. Infinity Ward didn't include it, or campaign co-op, presumably because they didn't want to admit Treyarch was right about something. The mode will be reintroduced in Black Ops.

As to pre-Call of Duty Nazi Zombies, I'm not sure. There may have been zombified Nazi enemies in Bloodrayne, but I'm not sure...

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Best Miley Cyrus impression I've heard. Granted it's the only one and I don't know what she sounds like but totally not the point.

Agree with the sentiments about the PSP Go. Can confirm it's lack of apparent support in stores here now. Even in January when I got my PSP they were trying desperately to get rid of any they still had, recall they were offering at least 10 game downloads with it. Of course at that point none of the games I was interested in was available on PSN. So a lack of UMD drive did make it useless for me (plus I thought it looked a lot uglier than the others).

Didn't realise Sakuraba did the Golden Sun soundtrack, will have to remind myself of it.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I dont see why they thought it was a good idea. The PSP Go came out at a time that gamers could already have a substantial PSP UMD library. It renders all that useless. For me, the PSP was always the black sheep of my system collection. A few games here and there caught my attention but I rarely wanted to buy a game on that system once, let alone twice.

I also liked the Boy and His Blob remake. There aren't enough games with a dedicated hug button. Yeah, I'm kind of a fan of happy, cute games... and a person who avoids grimdark games. If that makes me a weeaboo, then I'll wear that label with pride.

Chulip had a dedicated kiss button. I was vastly amused by how off-the-wall that game was (even if the translation took years), but lost interest when I noticed the clock running in the corner.

But as for a game which I can recommend to at least a few other fans, there's the DS version of Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side. The game allows the female lead character to touch the boys in her school, but it's a fairly innocent game -- the characters don't even kiss except in the ending. There is a complete fan translation, but keep in mind that it can't be played on a legit DS cart...

Quote Originally Posted by gdawgtuk View Post
    ... For me, the PSP was always the black sheep of my system collection. A few games here and there caught my attention but I rarely wanted to buy a game on that system once, let alone twice.
    I enjoyed Lumines and Harvest Moon Back to Nature quite a bit, but most of the other PSP games I bought didn't get much use. ...That said, we'll see what the next few months bring in portable system news, and what games get announced. I like home systems and computers, but I like portable gaming just as much.

The earliest zombie game I could remember playing was Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES. It was a Lucasarts game in which you had to go around and save your neighbors (who would just stand there) from the zombies wondering around. It had a nice comical spin to it and I remember playing it all day trying to get as far as I could.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

XBox Live: Xybec Katta
    PSN: Yeltu
    Steam: Xybec Katta

Quote Originally Posted by Xybec Katta View Post
    The earliest zombie game I could remember playing was Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES. It was a Lucasarts game in which you had to go around and save your neighbors (who would just stand there) from the zombies wondering around. It had a nice comical spin to it and I remember playing it all day trying to get as far as I could.
    I loved that game! I don't know if a squirt gun would be my first choice against a zombie horde but that was some of the fun humor in the game. That was the first game that gave me the feeling that I was almost free roaming or could hide in a house and such like they did in the movies.