Thread: Temple of Element Evil Returns

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar

Temple of Element Evil Returns

Check it out! Time to get your 3.5 on!
    Last edited by jcservant; 10-14-2010 at 09:16 AM.

FTR the official patches that were applied to the game don't come close to fixing all the bugs that plagued the original release. For that you'll have to install the Circle of Eight fan-patch. Installing it isn't as straight-forward as other fan-patches so you'll probably have to look through the installation guide first (you can skip step 1-4 as the GOG version already has official patches 1 and 2 applied).

Yeah, I didn't want to say this in the 'official' news article, but I also recommend Circle of the 8...which I use. From everything I read on boards, the GoG version works with it just fine.

From the screenshots it looks very sexy! I wonder frequently why a company would release a product that is apparently so broken?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

It was made for a niche audience, so I guess Atari didn't think it was worth paying Troika for the extra 6 months - year it would have taken to polish it.

New Member Member
    I would wait on purchasing it at the moment. I got it the minute it comes out and there is some technical issue with most anti-viral program automatically deleting the TOEE.exe file because they thought it was a virus/trojan. GOG claimed that it is a false positive the and file is safe and that they are dealing with it.

That's what I get for not using virus protection. lolz. A few years back, I used to use them, but I kept running into false positives and cpu slowdowns.

Now, I just back everything up regularly (portable HD FTW) and be careful what I DL. I had one virus that made me reinstall the OS.... but that was far less painful than dealing with years of virus program protection issues.

Anyway, their official response to this can be seen at the bottom of http://www.gog.com/en/forum/temple_o...a_trojan/page4 in blue lettering. I believe them in saying it's a false positive because dozens (if not hundreds) of people have already installed this version, and no one's complaining about a wiped hard drive.... YET! :P

This was an excellent game to play. With the circle of 8 patch I had no issues with the game. My only complaint about this title is that it is too short and had a frustratingly low level cap.

New Member Member
    No anti-virus, now that's living dangerously. Still those things are a pain sometimes. I remember way back when, when I first got my own desk top. That was in the days when my brand new 6X speed CD ROM and 1 gig hard drive was still state of art. The first thing Norton did when I installed it was to block out all 1 gig of my new hard drive as bad sector because it cannot recognize that much space. After 20+ years I can laugh about it now.

Scorpio - Does circle of 8 raise the level cap?

Avocado: Love yer story. The way I see it, viruses are quick death requiring me, usually, to rewipe the HD. Since I keep files on a seperate drive, and do backups, It's no biggie. I've only had to do it once, and it's even nice to have a fresh install sometimes. Virus protection is like a slow death. They feel are like inoculations in a way... You take a small does of virus and usually get sick a little in hopes that you don't catch the real thing. Virus protection programs tend to run in the background and slow down your computer at times, like viruses, though not nearly to that extent. They may not kill your HD or windows, but they do cause problems with certain programs, like ToEE, and occasionally give blue screen of death when conflicting with another program. Yuckie. .

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    With apologies to Paws for the OTness...

Yeah, the mainstream antivirus programs are often clunky and get in the way of things, but there are alternatives to going antivirus-free. I've been using Avira AntiVir for years and have never had a problem with it. It's lightweight, it has saved me from a couple of dodgy downloaded files over the years, and I've never had a false positive. Oh, and it's completely free for home use, as long as you're ok with getting a single pop-up ad from them about once a week when it updates (and knowing that when it updates, it does slow your system to a crawl for a few minutes if you're in North America because it's phoning home to Germany.) There are other free, quality antivirus programs out there, too. Just have to do a bit of research.

I agree on the anti-Norton sentiments. Blech.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Scorpio - Does circle of 8 raise the level cap?
    Yeah, you can set a higher level cap via the options menu on the Co8 front-end. I don't know how many high-level spells/feats have been implemented though.

The game is balanced to be completed at level 10 though, so unless you plan on doing the new post-game quests in Co8 I'd recommend just leaving the cap as it is.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Maybe making a horrendously buggy game was an homage to the frustrations of the original module? probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    Maybe making a horrendously buggy game was an homage to the frustrations of the original module? probably not.
    Maybe not....but with the patches, the game is much more stable, and is really the closest you can get to the goodness of the gold box games without actually playing the Gold Box games....

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Further apologies for the OTness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Oh, and it's completely free for home use, as long as you're ok with getting a single pop-up ad from them about once a week when it updates (and knowing that when it updates, it does slow your system to a crawl for a few minutes if you're in North America because it's phoning home to Germany.) There are other free, quality antivirus programs out there, too. Just have to do a bit of research.

I agree on the anti-Norton sentiments. Blech.
    I've used Avast and AVG in the past. Both are free and great quality. Right now I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. It's pretty lightweight, unobtrusive, and just... works and it's free (plus if you're using Vista/Win7 you already have half of it installed out of the box with Windows Defender). The only slowdown I see from it is the little bit of delay in Firefox notifying me of a completed download because it forces a virus scan of the file. Which is standard for FF and AV products from what I've seen at work and on my parent's computer (which uses Norton or McAfee depending on what Comcast has a license for that year).

There's honestly no need to pay for AV stuff these days. You're just paying for extra bloat.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

What shoptroll said. I've been using Avast! lately, and it works wonderfully. Not much overhead, and it has a setting for Pirate language. And really, you just can't beat Pirate.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSuzaku View Post
    And really, you just can't beat Pirate.
    Bork, bork, bork!
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    The first time I heard the voice acting for this game I wondered if they were trying to simulate a really bad GM acting out the roles of NPCs. Some of it is that terrible.