Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ys: The Oath in Felghana Screenshots & Gameplay Trailers

Ys: The Oath in Felghana Screenshots & Gameplay Trailers

XSEED hopes to land on Ysy Street with all the sales from these Falcom games. Take a look as they show off some screens and movies from Oath in Felghana.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Looking good, can't wait!
    Hopefully it can make the November 2nd date.

Wonder if we'll have special guests post here..
    Last edited by Tiael; 10-14-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Banned Banned
    Yep, that's the game I played several times and the horrid gameplay is still the same on the PSP...voices are halfway decent, but not worth the price. And then when you have to "Oops!" throw in a "double-boost" because you made your game too unforgiving, that's a game balancing issue that should have been worked out by Falcom before releasing the game.

Man, I just can't get over the fact how ugly the last area of the game became after the transition to 3D with all those mutated monsters and the place itself looking like the innards of some nasty creature.

If anybody remembers the original, seriously, what happened to the orb that lit up the darkness in the last area? And what about the ascension of the tower before the final battle with Galbalan? Where did these awesome elements go? I just cannot get over the fact how Ys: The Oath in Felghana ruined these great moments and replaced it with crap...

**SLIGHT ENVIRONMENTAL SPOILERS FOR OATH IN FELGHANA, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK**

The orb is still there, it's just used in different places (the abandoned mine and Valestein Castle).

And the ascent of the tower has been replaced with a DEscent. Same basic gist, though, except it makes a little more sense -- why would (NAME WITHHELD DUE TO SPOILER) be in a tower, instead of underground?

Also, wouldn't looking like the innards of a nasty creature be... you know... APPROPRIATE, story-wise? I don't get why that's a bad thing...

**END SPOILERS**

Anyway, I'm glad we at least got a "halfway decent" out of you for the voices. It's clear you won't ever like Felghana better than Ys III, but I'm pretty sure most of the rest of us do/will/would. Just try to remember that everyone has different opinions, and I hope that perhaps we'll be able to better appeal to you with Ys I & II Chronicles next year!

-Tom
    Last edited by Wyrdwad; 10-14-2010 at 03:34 PM.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaLink2 View Post
    Yep, that's the game I played several times and the horrid gameplay is still the same on the PSP...voices are halfway decent, but not worth the price. And then when you have to "Oops!" throw in a "double-boost" because you made your game too unforgiving, that's a game balancing issue that should have been worked out by Falcom before releasing the game.

Man, I just can't get over the fact how ugly the last area of the game became after the transition to 3D with all those mutated monsters and the place itself looking like the innards of some nasty creature.

If anybody remembers the original, seriously, what happened to the orb that lit up the darkness in the last area? And what about the ascension of the tower before the final battle with Galbalan? Where did these awesome elements go? I just cannot get over the fact how Ys: The Oath in Felghana ruined these great moments and replaced it with crap...
    oh hey, it's you again. We know your opinion. We get it. You hate this game. You don't have to tell us this every time an Oath in Felghana thread pops up. Go start an Ys III thread.

So they have arrived from the previous 2 posters I see..

Anyways, Tom, so I know OiF has yet to release, but you should totally put an Adol miniature or something in the Ys I & II Chronicles Premium Edition, along with the soundtrack, assuming you do one that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiael View Post
    So they have arrived from the previous 2 posters I see..

Anyways, Tom, so I know OiF has yet to release, but you should totally put an Adol miniature or something in the Ys I & II Chronicles Premium Edition, along with the soundtrack, assuming you do one that is.
    I second this, an Adol figure would be awesome, though I'd be happy with a Feena or Reah
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    oh hey, it's you again. We know your opinion. We get it. You hate this game. You don't have to tell us this every time an Oath in Felghana thread pops up. Go start an Ys III thread.
    Quoting this for truth and emphasis. Those who can discuss the game without being whacked upside the head with a stick by me, carry on!

On topic: Adol plushie nowplease.

You guys are thinking too small! I suggested an ACTUAL SILVER HARMONICA as part of an Ys I & II Chronicles LE box.

Needless to say, though, that won't be happening. I think our PR guy wanted to hit me when I suggested that.

-Tom

Shoulda pointed out Bumpy Trot had harmonicas.

I'm actually excited about this game, I finished Ys 7 a few weeks ago, and it was my first in the series, so this to me looks very cool. ;p
    My Links:

DeviantArt, Twitter

A silver harmonica would be sweet... that or include a FeenaxReah body pillow.....

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrdwad View Post
    You guys are thinking too small! I suggested an ACTUAL SILVER HARMONICA as part of an Ys I & II Chronicles LE box.

Needless to say, though, that won't be happening. I think our PR guy wanted to hit me when I suggested that.

-Tom
    Now YOU'RE thinking too small, how about an actual silver sword?

How about a life-size Dogi statue that will literally crush walls in your path.

Banned Banned
    Or a life-size Darm Tower!

Wouldn't that make for a hell of a Halloween party?

Here's a pro-tip for everyone: Don't make a second account to agree with you. It's a really, really stupid idea. Topic tidied. If something on-topic was inadvertently axed, everyone else should feel free to repost.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Here's a pro-tip for everyone: Don't make a second account to agree with you. It's a really, really stupid idea. Topic tidied. If something on-topic was inadvertently axed, everyone else should feel free to repost.
    Heh heh... they poster didn't see you could check IP addresses, or some other form to discover account dupers?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Normal users cannot see IPs because we want your speech to be protected. This is so people who disagree with you can only say they disagree, they cannot find out where you live, come to your house and kill you, turn off your internet, or other nonsense.

Sorry Paws for not catching this...

Here is what I posted before:
    See: Serious Business.

Ascention vs Descention (final tower): Serious Business.

That villains would sit around waiting for a hero to come defeat them is practically a trope. Dragon Warrior 1, 2, 3, and 4 did it and Holy Badman does as well. Can't find this one on TV Tropes though.

I thought the Felghana story was pretty bad based on the fan translation. I give it a 2/5. It's a long string of go there, do that. They put a couple of variations on that formula. And there is a big twist. The nature of this twist is similar to that in Ys Seven. I don't think the bad story takes away from the game. The game's real strength is in the gameplay.

I actually quite like the story of Felghana, but I can see where you're coming from -- it is, indeed, very generic and trope-filled. But I think what makes it endearing is that its writers were well aware of this, and just had fun making it as melodramatic and dynamic as possible. It's like watching a very over-the-top stage performance or something -- might not turn the heads of theater critics, but it's certainly VERY entertaining for what it is!

I'm curious if your opinion of the story will go up with the PSP version now that there's voice-acting and HIGHLY DRAMATIZED LINES (I tried to imagine Calculon from Futurama saying every line as I edited it, and I think the end result captures the uber-dramatic nature of the game's story quite perfectly!).

But yeah... this isn't a game you should go into for its story, either way. Felghana is all about the gameplay. And while a few (very persistent, very passionate) naysayers may not be too fond of the gameplay in it, I absolutely love it. For me, this is the best game in the Ys series, barnone.

-Tom