Thread: RPGCast - Episode 149: "Extra Life 2010"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 149: "Extra Life 2010"

RPGCast - Episode 149: "Extra Life 2010"

Listen to the Extra Life 2010 edition of RPGCast and you get to hear Chris's epic battle against Dr. Eggman. But if you just want the news, we've got that too. How do signature editions, Tenacious D, FFXIV, and Pirates of the Carribean sound?

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/149

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Extra Life 2010"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Regarding Nintendo, their BS "service" can F itself. Linking to the system without an account, making it a pain in the rear to get your stuff back when you repair, having no transfer capability if systems get lost or stolen, and laughing at us when we ask again and again for Mother 3. You know what, Nintendo, the fans you continually spit on have already taken care of Mother 3 and the rest of your back catalog. Keep your head in the sand, it's apparently really comfortable there.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

When no one in Japan, the only place where Mother 3 was released, is clamoring for a remake, why would Nintendo bother?

The "us" is question here is a very small group of people who are huge fans of a N64 JRPG they've never played before. That... doesn't really qualify as clamoring. More of a hushed whisper.

Funny you guys talk about Japanese people trying to make "F Yeah" games. I just picked up Vanquish for the 360 yesterday, and God that game tries so hard to be badass. You're mainly fighting robots (you know they're Russian robots because they're red) and the gameplay itself isn't bloody enough by itself to earn its M rating. However, every other moment there's cursing and the cutscenes go overkill sometimes with the gore, especially the opening cut-scene where people explode from the heat of a microwave laser (NSFW). However, the most forced thing they do is the smoke break functionality, which only exists to look cool and can be activated by pressing LB while behind cover. The game's OK enough, though some hud elements are larger than they need be and there are quick-time-events that you can't possibly be ready for because of their infrequency. Oh, and the style over gameplay boost function is annoying (I'd have preferred a simple sprint that didn't send sparks flying all over the screen).

Of course, Platinum Games silliness shines through yet again, having a woman as the president. We all know that'll never happen.

It's Platinum Games, their previous game ends with you Megaton Punching God into the sun with your magic hair. If anything, Vanquish is a step down from that.

As for the microwave laser, clearly someone on the storyboard team was watching Gundam SEED while working.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I didn't get to listen live, I listened to the podcast. I enjoyed how within the first 20 mins I could hear how bad Chris was doing at Sonic because I kept hearing the noise where Sonic loses all of his rings. Keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    It's Platinum Games, their previous game ends with you Megaton Punching God into the sun with your magic hair. If anything, Vanquish is a step down from that.

As for the microwave laser, clearly someone on the storyboard team was watching Gundam SEED while working.
    Well, I don't have problems with exaggeration. I loved Bayonetta's style and over-the-top fun, and I'm digging a lot of the crazy design in Vanquish. It's just that some of this stuff has me wondering if they got in a room and said "hey, I bet foreigners'll love the squad leader to be this growling dude with huge scars cursing every 5 seconds." It's kind of like Madworld that way.

With the new WoW 4.0.1 patch Paladins do still use mana, but they also have holy power which is a new resource. The best example is to think about how Death Knights work with both runic power and runes for using abilities. The difference is that holy power is more akin to a rogue's combo points and warrior's rage system mashed together. Also, yes, Paladins are no longer AOE gods since divine storm was nerfed into the ground. Furthermore you are required to use your single target abilities in order to generate the holy power needed for AOE attacks. The result is that Ret Paladins no longer ROFLstomp en masse but their single target dps has skyrocketed. As a raider, I really appreciate this change.

Aha, thank you for clarifying

Truth be told, I have only enjoyed playing 3 "HELL YEAH!!!" games in the last couple of years. All 3 God of War games. That is how you do HELL YEAH!! right.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

XBox Live: Xybec Katta
    PSN: Yeltu
    Steam: Xybec Katta

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Regarding Nintendo, their BS "service" can F itself. Linking to the system without an account, making it a pain in the rear to get your stuff back when you repair, having no transfer capability if systems get lost or stolen, and laughing at us when we ask again and again for Mother 3.
    While I imagine it would be an extreme bother if a Wii were lost or stolen, I had absolutely no trouble having my Wii's user infromation transferred to a new one when I sent the one with a broken fan in to be serviced. I only had to redownload my Wiiware and VC titiles at no cost.

On the subject of aspects of RPGs I'm more tolerant of, I also don't mind so much if the music or graphics is poor. While I'm a big video game music enthusiast, to me bad music doesn't bring a game down. I'm also very tolerant of bad or sub-par voice-acting. I can also handle a trite or uninteresting story if I enjoy the gameplay/battle system, setting, and/or characters.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "