Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Gets Virtual Console Release

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Gets Virtual Console Release

In 1992, Squaresoft tried to introduce RPGs to console gamers. With the latest Virtual Console release, you can see if it really worked.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    This was literally my first RPG. Knowing nothing of other Final Fantasies or other RPGs, I loved Mystic Quest and still have fond memories of it. Where's my DS remake, SE?

Quote Originally Posted by CofLSilk View Post
    Where's my DS remake, SE?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

This was literally my first RPG. Knowing nothing of other Final Fantasies or other RPGs, I loved Mystic Quest and still have fond memories of it. Where's my DS remake, SE?
    This was probably mine as well, at least as far as I can remember. I thought the cover art alone made the game so cool.

...Facepalm

I h8chu, Mac T-T......Four Chibis is not Mystic Quest.

A vast library of great SNES games yet to be released on the Virtual Console...and they chose this one?

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    A vast library of great SNES games yet to be released on the Virtual Console...and they chose this one?
    Why would they put them on the Virtual Console when they port them over to other systems and sell them at full price? Anyways, I've never understood the hatedom that surrounds this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Erdrick View Post
    Why would they put them on the Virtual Console when they port them over to other systems and sell them at full price? Anyways, I've never understood the hatedom that surrounds this game.
    I think that the hate comes from people who played this game after already being experienced with RPGs. It was super simplistic and very RPG-noob friendly. And you're absolutely right...if there's a game that any company thinks will actually make money as a remake, they're more likely to invest in that. Putting it on the VC costs nowhere near as much time or money as a remake...which is great for less well received games.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    I didn't like Mystic Quest because:

1) The AI used up all of my potions.
    2) It wasn't as rad as FF4, like I expected it to be.
    3) A friend showed me the incredibly cheap way to beat the final boss.

In other words, I agree with the Silk ahead of me. It's not as bad as Paladin's Quest, but nor do I have fond memories of it.

Well I played this after Dragon Warrior 1 - 4, Link to the Past, and FF4 and I love the game for its simplistness. What I wanna see is a sequal that they kinda set up for at the end of the first game.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I found the game to be cute and whimsical, and generally a good time. I also found that the lack of available tactics led to guaranteed game overs when certain sequences of events occurred in battle. It's not so bad since you can just retry a battle, but really...it was frustrating to lose a battle and know that there wasn't anything I could have really done differently--instead I had to hope I either got more crits, or that the enemies took a different sequence of actions this time around.

But I didn't regret tracking down the cartridge. The music was pretty good, too.

I'm the only one among my friends that loved this game. No random battles, and was my first rpg where I could tell an enemy's health thanks to their picture changing. It's also a perfect introduction to oldschool console rpgs, since it has an easy level of entry.

I may just have to pick this up, for nostalgia sake if nothing else.

The game was and is pretty flawed as...well reading about it I found out you can instantly kill everything with either life or exit(and they do not miss). It also took some flack for not being FF5 as at the time Square decided to release this instead. To most RPG players it's seen as a bad beginners RPG...

Also even though there are no random encounters there are places that you are forced to fight just to get through the maze!
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

It wasn't an awesome game but it had something of a sense of humor (a rarity among Square games even now) and was short and to the point. Also, no, the music was not good, it was fricking awesome.

The Old Guy That's New... xaviersaint's Avatar
    Let's take this game for what it was, a simple RPG to expand people's exposure to RPGs without making their head spins with games like FFIV and so forth. Clearly it worked because I know tons of people who got into RPGs because of this game.

Yes it was simple but that was the point. It has a very Earthbound-esque charm to it. By that I mean, it's a fun little RPG that isn't for everybody but definitely has some highlights. I wish there had been a wider range of music since I believe 3 of the 4 towns if not all 4 of the towns had a variation on the same theme. And it would have been nice had not every single enemy had some sort of deadly weakness.

The characters weren't bad, graphics were good for the time, and definitely you remember the game when you've played.

The only major thing that pissed me off about this was that Japan called it Final Fantasy USA, like we weren't capable of handling a full on RPG.
    Last edited by xaviersaint; 10-20-2010 at 07:10 AM.
    Stay Or Shop? - Your friendly cat salesman, Secret Of Mana

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Erdrick View Post
    It was a terrible game then, and its a terrible game now. That is why.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I h8chu, Mac T-T......Four Chibis is not Mystic Quest.
    You're right, it's BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    It was a terrible game then, and its a terrible game now. That is why.
    Care to go on? Other than being a simple RPG, there's nothing about it that doesn't work or is specifically offensive, and it has a good soundtrack to boot. Combat is well balanced, the dungeons are well designed etc., it's just not a particularly challenging RPG because it's meant for beginners.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is worth purchasing for the music alone. Great stuff.

Also, Paladin's Quest is a fantastic game that doesn't get the respect it deserves. Excellent gameplay.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You're right, it's BETTER

Care to go on? Other than being a simple RPG, there's nothing about it that doesn't work or is specifically offensive, and it has a good soundtrack to boot. Combat is well balanced, the dungeons are well designed etc., it's just not a particularly challenging RPG because it's meant for beginners.
    Nope, definitely not.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief