Thread: Dragon Age II: Information Roundup

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Dragon Age II: Information Roundup

RPGamer loves its readers very much. How much? So much so that our intrepid reporter has plumbed the depraved depths of the BioWare forums so you don't have to. Venture forth to learn all about conversation wheels, women with hips, and dwarven chest hair, if you dare.

[Story]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Can't say I like any of the changes they've revealed for this game so far, up to and including the new art direction, but I haven't written it off yet.

The combat system will be quite a bit like that in Origins, with changes to areas that needed improvement. One major improvement often cited by the developers is that all party members will leap directly into combat when given orders, rather than shuffling into position before executing attacks.
    I've seen Bioware mention this one a lot. Still have no idea what they're talking about.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I really should get around to playing the first one before this launches so I know if it's worth pre-ordering for any Digital Deluxe edition that will inevitably materialize.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I still have that Nightmare playthrough to finish up.

Also, the thing that sold me on this game:

Players will not venture to underground dwarven areas

Oh, and the description icons by dialogue choices will be nice, too.

It really sounds like they took what was a solid game and just made a lot of improvements. Which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    Can't say I like any of the changes they've revealed for this game so far, up to and including the new art direction, but I haven't written it off yet.

I've seen Bioware mention this one a lot. Still have no idea what they're talking about.
    If you watch how melee combat works in DAO, you'll understand what they mean. Say you have a rogue, and you want her to run up to an enemy and execute a special attack. You issue these commands, and the rogue runs up to the enemy, but wait, the enemy moves! So she shuffles up to the enemy again to make sure she's in position to fire off the attack. Finally, she gets it off, but it doesn't feel very reactive, especially if you were trying to do a knockdown or something before an enemy could get some big old attack off on you.

I'm just debating with myself if I should get the game day one or wait for the Ultimate version this time. There are so many good games coming out in Q1 2011 and some of them in March. I am tempted to pre-order, but I shall wait some more. I need to see more gameplay and maybe some story trailer.

The devs have mentioned that there will be a trailer showing actual in-game footage next.

Where did all this Varric fandom come from? The game has not even been released and people are already fapping over him?
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister

I have to admit, the changes are compelling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementol View Post
    Where did all this Varric fandom come from? The game has not even been released and people are already fapping over him?
    Did I not mention that the BioWare forums are a haven of the bizarre and depraved?

OMFG! I CAN'T WAIT, OMG!

hehe... did I just turn into a little school girl for a second there.... maybe I did....

Yes... yes I loved Dragon Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Did I not mention that the BioWare forums are a haven of the bizarre and depraved?
    I started to worry when you mentioned the demands for incest.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

The conversation elements (tone) and carring reputation with respect to tone sound very much like Bioware is aping the system from Alpha Protocol.

Well, it was usually the tone of the choices that determined what kind of alignment shifts you were going to do. Most of the time the tone was very clear from the verbiage of the choice. Other times the words led one to believe that the choice went one way, but it was delivered in the opposite tone and followed up with additional dialogue that wend the other direction. So I welcome the icons.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    the one thing I will complain about for the mass effect-esque dialogue system is that I dislike that it prevents fro always choosing the funniest option.