Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 27 - I Like Killing Things

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 27 - I Like Killing Things

It is a rare thing indeed, to find an RPG in which the combat is so addictive that it compels constant combat. Game Arts produced a series that did this very thing, and we have a lot to say about it.
    Grandia, it is.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Sorry to take so long to get this one out.... I've been super busy! I need more copies of me!!

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Paws: I love you. <3 Also boobs!

God, hearing the song clips in this Backtrack are reminding me how awesome the music is in this series. Iwadare doesn't get enough love.

No more contest responses, we have a winner already. I'll choose something harder next time.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Oh, it's not that I don't like the skits between just you two. However, a little variety is nice once in a while, you know?

You know, I don't entirely get the gender confusion about me. Sure, there's always some uncertainty over the Internet, but I figured a name like "Strawberry Eggs" would have most people guessing I was female, not male :P Strawberries are kind of feminine, aren't they? And the anime series is too obscure to make many people think I'm doing what Hibiki Amawa did. It's not as if my voice hasn't been heard before on both the Backtrack in the form of audio reviews and on RPGcast.

Anyway, I haven't played any of the Grandia games, but they certainly sound intersting (save for Xtreme). Also, yay for not being the only person sending in these audio reviews!
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Oh, it's not that I don't like the skits between just you two. However, a little variety is nice once in a while, you know?

You know, I don't entirely get the gender confusion about me. Sure, there's always some uncertainty over the Internet, but I figured a name like "Strawberry Eggs" would have most people guessing I was female, not male :P Strawberries are kind of feminine, aren't they? And the anime series is too obscure to make many people think I'm doing what Hibiki Amawa did. It's not as if my voice hasn't been heard before on both the Backtrack in the form of audio reviews and on RPGcast.

Anyway, I haven't played any of the Grandia games, but they certainly sound intersting (save for Xtreme). Also, yay for not being the only person sending in these audio reviews!
    The anime's about a dude crossdressing, that doesn't do you any favors.

Anyway, that pretty much sums up my opinion on the Grandia series as well. Consistently great music and battle system, story peaked with II.

CORRECTION: UbiSoft released Grandia II in America, not Sega. That's all versions: Dreamcast, Windows and PS2. I'm honestly surprised you screwed that up, as I mentioned loving Ubi's translation in the last backtrack feedback. And yeah, I thought the Windows version ran great on XP... Gotta try and see how it goes on Win7, probably not as well.

Oh, and boobs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by MasterChief; 10-26-2010 at 06:44 PM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Aww, I know you're a girl, Strawberry, 'cause I Pokebattled you once and we talked over the crappy DS mics. But I left the 'cast early. But don't feel bad, people mistake me for a man all the time, even if I'm playing a female character/have a female avatar/etc. It's just one of those silly assumptions people tend to make in gaming communities.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Don't worry too much about the gender confusion- I keep getting pegged as one even though I have "rose" in my name. It seems to happen more often in the gaming world too...

Consider this an extension of Phil's tendency to butcher names.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    True enough. I'm hardly the only victim of gender confusion.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    The introduction skit on this one felt much longer than the others. I'm not sure how I feel about the introduction skits in general, but the short ones are usually fun and the longer they go on the more I consider fast forwarding. At 3 minutes I'm not sure if this one is actually longer than usual or if the Beavis and Butthead impressions just wore on me. You guys seem to have a lot of fun doing the skits, though, so don't let me stop you if you want to do them!

Speaking of gender confusion, thank you again Paws for always saying "SeraphimKitten is a guy..." since before episode 100 of RPGCast. I suppose, in retrospect, I should have chosen a better moniker. But really, how can you not love kittens and angels?
    Last edited by SeraphimKitten; 10-28-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: kittens, angels, and gender confusion

Hi, I just listened to the last four of these this week, first time catching the backtrack. Just wanted to say, you guys are awesome, very very entertaining, and personally thank you for helping pass what would otherwise have been a very long, very boring couple of days. Just sorry I missed the Tales one, I would have talked Symphonia to death.
    More on the subject at hand though, I seem to remember, back when Grandia III first came out, It being referred to somewhere as One of the best of the last RPGs on the PS2. Am I just getting that confused with Something else, or does anyone else remember/ believe that? Also, I remember looking at the strategy guide once, and there being a lot of playable characters in it. is that correct?
    ive got candy

Lots of playable characters in III? Not really, unless seven who join and leave according to the whims of the script counts as 'a lot.'

So, I listened to this, and towards the end there was discussion of a Map that would be linked in the show notes. Where do you find this map?

In reference to graphics, Grandia 3 had excellent graphics for its time. It was the first game since Chrono Cross that made me really appreciate the beauty of the graphics. Most games I barely pay attention. The main two characters were a bit forgettable, but the rest of the cast was better. I thought the boss battles were tough, but I only had to grind in it once.

I loved Grandia Xtreme for the battle system for the first 20-25 hours. After that, it joined the ranks of what I refer to as "Insomnia Cures." Games that I play if I can't sleep. Grandia Xtreme, Breath of Fire 1 & 2, and some others...

G1 and G2 (on the dreamcast) were great. I didn't play G1 until much, much later though.