Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlus Sins Innocently on the PSP

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Atlus Sins Innocently on the PSP

Atlus continues introducing the early Persona games to a new generation with this PSP remake of Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Hopefully the ESRB will be kinder to the game this time around, and we'll see it in English.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    All I can say is...ME WANTIE.

*makes grabby hands*

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    I dunno, the esrb still seems to have the same opinions of suicide and Hitler as they did back then...

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, they passed Persona 3...

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Here's to hoping it makes it over here. I'd love to play this.

The game has already been translated by way of CFW by a (small and independent) translating studio. I don't see how it should be a problem in this day in age, considering we have game sout there now that are bluntly titled like W.T.F or Grand Theft Auto: Ballad of Gay Tony. ESBR has become very flexible these last few years.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    I dunno, the esrb still seems to have the same opinions of suicide and Hitler as they did back then...
    Did Atlus/Sony even attempt to localize the game back then? My understanding is they didn't bother with it (presumably because of whatever the political/cultural landscape was at the time... Columbine was roughly around that time) so the ESRB never would've touched it. Since then we've definitely had plenty of games dealing with Nazis (two Wolfenstein Games and World at War's nazi zombies mode), and games have tackled suicide in a couple of games. The industry is maturing with the gamers. I think they can get it through unedited.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Monster Lover
    Heee, saw this news on 4chan last night. I'm also in the English-release-is-likely camp. I seriously and honestly doubt that Innocent Sin has anything worse than what can be found in the new GTA games, Dead Rising, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Well, they passed Persona 3...
    If they can pass a game where shooting yourself in the head is a gameplay mechanic, I don't see why they'd have a problem with Innocent Sin.

It's only in Germany (and sometimes the rest of Europe if they don't want to make 2 Pal versions) that you can't have stuff with Hitler, Nazis, etc.
    I'm He Who Lurks, and I'm AWESOME!

Also, Operation Darkness was published by Atlus in NA and it had Hitler.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He Who Lurks View Post
    It's only in Germany (and sometimes the rest of Europe if they don't want to make 2 Pal versions) that you can't have stuff with Hitler, Nazis, etc.
    Well, since the German version of a game would have to be in German for it to succeed there (from what I understand, they're really big on their own language), I imagine different versions are common for releases that would be controversial, provided they aren't refused German classification outright (Gears of War and Dead Rising come to mind). However, the rest of the world's gamers have already killed more Nazis than all the allies during the war, so I don't see that being an issue.

And honestly, I thought IS didn't come out here because EP wasn't as successful as it could have been.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    And honestly, I thought IS didn't come out here because EP wasn't as successful as it could have been.
    Wasn't EP released second in Japan?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

More Persona goodies makes me happy.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Wasn't EP released second in Japan?
    I mean western EP. I remember back then everyone complaining that IS was the one people wanted.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

well i remember back in the day things weren't so easy to sell when they were controversial. Like, I remember the first time I ever seen the word Holy in an rpg lol. From what I've heard of the game story wise, it might not have been worthwhile to try and pitch it to the west. Even if it didn't do well in its day, I would say Atlus has built up a following over the years and it would likely sell well enough were they to release it now. Which puts my hopes high for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiael View Post
    Also, Operation Darkness was published by Atlus in NA and it had Hitler.
    A WEREWOLF Hitler. Aw yeah.

Awww, this would make my day if it came out here in the US!
    My Links:

DeviantArt, Twitter

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    From what I recall, the obstacle at the time was actually Sony refusing to let Atlus release it. They finally gave up and released Eternal Punishment instead, but still tried to fight for IS in the background. And it wasn't just Hitler - there was also the issue of being able to engage in a gay relationship.

Things have changed quite a bit at SCEA, so I imagine that's not an issue. Besides, Rockstar already got away with the latter in Bully.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I mean western EP. I remember back then everyone complaining that IS was the one people wanted.
    That doesn't make any sense MC, Innocent Sin is the fist half of a single story split over the two games, what they did was akin to releasing Mass Effect 2 ahead of Mass Effect 1. All things being equal, Innocent Sin should have been released before Eternal Punishment, just as DDS1 was released before DDS2. If Eternal Punishment didn't do so well then that might have put the final nail in the coffin of a western release for Innocent Sin, but Atlus must have had significant content concerns for them to green-light the localisation of the second half of the story, ahead of the first.
    Last edited by SiliconNooB; 10-29-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!