Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 28 - Gespenst Kick!

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 28 - Gespenst Kick!

Twin Bird Strike, Cross Smasher, Black Hole Cluster, Jet Magnum, Mega Graviton Wave, Code: Kirin, Phantom Phoenix, Claymore Avalanche, Cosmo Nova, Sonic Javelin, Blade Tonfa, Fang Slasher, Sonic Breaker, Giga Unghia, Boost Knuckle, Schulterplatte, Dominion Ball: do any of these things sound familiar? If not, a listen to our lengthy, in-depth discussion of their source is mandatory.
    SRT: Original Generation
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

How the hell is this under 100mb? Impossible I say, Impossible!

(In before Mu La Flaga)

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    You know, I could have sworn that there was a game in this series that had Vandread characters/mechs in it. A recent search has yielded zilch. I would import that game in a heartbeat. Vandread is one of my most favorite anime series of all time.

Good Arceus, four hours! This'll take a while to get through. . .
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Longest Podcast Ever. I think Phil and I finally went offline around 3am! To clearify, I know it's FF2 on Super Nintendo and FF4 elsewhere. I just sounded like I said it backwards because I clarified too late.
    Last edited by gdawgtuk; 11-03-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    You know, I could have sworn that there was a game in this series that had Vandread characters/mechs in it. A recent search has yielded zilch. I would import that game in a heartbeat. Vandread is one of my most favorite anime series of all time.

Good Arceus, four hours! This'll take a while to get through. . .
    Sadly, no SRW game has Vandread in yet. You're not the only one that wants it to make an appearance, I'd like to see it too.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I'm still early into the Backtrack, but I just had to comment on Marta (from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) being called a poorly written female character. I know you don't own a Wii, Sam, so I don't know how much you know about Marta or ToS: DotNW in general. Her characterization and development and perfect, and I am a bit more tolerant of characters others find annoying, but I find her a very likable, engaging, and interesting character. Yes, her main shtick is her Clingy Jealous Girl-ness, but I actually found it pretty funny and before it got really old, a certain event happens and she begins to grow out of it. She "reverts" once in a while, but as they say, old habits die hard. She doesn't mature as much as Emil does, but she matures nonetheless. I especially love and she and Emil help each other to grown and develop over the course of the game. I'd say more, but it would be hard without going into spoiler territory, which doesn't really seem necessary here.

Of course, I also understand that some people would find her annoying regardless of how much she changes, or feel that development does not excuse a character being initially irritating in that person's eyes. I just wanted to add my two cents, especially since I consider Marta to be one of my most favorite RPG heroines ever. I'm sure people must think I'm nuts for thinking that.

Yes, I did send in an audio review for the game, but I don't touch much upon Marta in it, though I do mention how much I love her and Emil as characters.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 11-03-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Sadly, no SRW game has Vandread in yet. You're not the only one that wants it to make an appearance, I'd like to see it too.
    I think I'd like to see Vandread as part of my dream SRW game that also includes Gurren Lagann, Heroic Age, Gunbuster, Diebuster, a ton of Macross stuff, Turn A Gundam, and the really crazy late Getter Robo manga stuff. In other words, epic space warfare and a ton of spiral power. It is amazing how easy it is to fit Vandread and Heroic Age into a scheme of a war between spirals and anti-spirals if you try.

I thought it was some sort of error when I saw the new Backtrack was 4 hours long, haha, this should be interesting!
    My Links:

DeviantArt, Twitter

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    I'm still early into the Backtrack, but I just had to comment on Marta (from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) being called a poorly written female character. I know you don't own a Wii, Sam, so I don't know how much you know about Marta or ToS: DotNW in general. Her characterization and development and perfect, and I am a bit more tolerant of characters others find annoying, but I find her a very likable, engaging, and interesting character. Yes, her main shtick is her Clingy Jealous Girl-ness, but I actually found it pretty funny and before it got really old, a certain event happens and she begins to grow out of it. She "reverts" once in a while, but as they say, old habits die hard. She doesn't mature as much as Emil does, but she matures nonetheless. I especially love and she and Emil help each other to grown and develop over the course of the game. I'd say more, but it would be hard without going into spoiler territory, which doesn't really seem necessary here.

Of course, I also understand that some people would find her annoying regardless of how much she changes, or feel that development does not excuse a character being initially irritating in that person's eyes. I just wanted to add my two cents, especially since I consider Marta to be one of my most favorite RPG heroines ever. I'm sure people must think I'm nuts for thinking that.

Yes, I did send in an audio review for the game, but I don't touch much upon Marta in it, though I do mention how much I love her and Emil as characters.
    Hey Strawberry! Yeah about the Marta bit... I haven't played DtNW, but all my crazy girlfriends who are far more obsessed with Tales have told me how much they believe she's a poorly written character, that she's boring, blah blah, so I was just going off what I knew from them. I will, at some point, play that game, even if it means steal my nephew's Wii and getting a copy. So I don't want you to think I was hatin', it's more of me going off hear say, since I haven't heard anyone talk about Marta with any sort of kindness... that was until you commented!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    I think I'd like to see Vandread as part of my dream SRW game that also includes Gurren Lagann, Heroic Age, Gunbuster, Diebuster, a ton of Macross stuff, Turn A Gundam, and the really crazy late Getter Robo manga stuff. In other words, epic space warfare and a ton of spiral power. It is amazing how easy it is to fit Vandread and Heroic Age into a scheme of a war between spirals and anti-spirals if you try.
    I never watched Heroic Age, but I actually could easily imagine Vandread in a sprial vs. anti-spiral plot.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    How the hell is this under 100mb? Impossible I say, Impossible!
    (In before Mu La Flaga)
    Well, I did a high compression doohickey. The problem is that it doesn't sound as good, specifically in the sections with music. Perhaps I'm an audiophile. Y'all let me know what you think.

Strawberry, I am very, very sorry I didn't get your review in. I was in such a rush to get this done, I totally blanked. I'll try to get it in the next one.

^Oh. I'm no where near the end, so I hadn't noticed yet. It's all right, I understand. Perhaps you should save it for the future later-Tales games Backtrack, as I imagine it would be more appropriate for it, even if the beginning won't quite match up.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I already put it in my Backtrack 29 folder, so it should make it in. Again, I apologize.

Wow, what a bunch of frakking RPG snobs! How dare you bad mouth my sweet baby(Sword of Vermilion)! That was a FINE game, FINE game!

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Wow, what a bunch of frakking RPG snobs! How dare you bad mouth my sweet baby(Sword of Vermilion)! That was a FINE game, FINE game!
    Jumes is the one who has nightmares over that game.

I'll badmouth Sword of Vermilion all the live-long day and never hurt it as much as it hurt me.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

I have a feeling this thread is going to see a longer tail of comments because of people listening to this monstrosity (in a good way) over an extended period of time. I'm excited, since I know nothing about either the games or the source material.

*sees Quin's avatar*

SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

...And no i'll go listen to the podcast
    ive got candy

Well, I finally got through this Behemoth of a podcast. Nice job all around, I thought, even if it was long.

I would imagine that it's a bit too late for Atlus to release Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Fronier Exceed, what with the 3DS on the horizon and all. Then again, a ( ever increasingly) small part of me iis still hoping Atlus will publish Luminous Arc 3.

You refrain from crushing my hopes, I'll refrain from crushing yours, Strawberry. Deal?