Thread: West Launches on Xbox Live Indie Games

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

West Launches on Xbox Live Indie Games

Ever play an experimental RPG? Well, Bertius Games is hoping you'll take the plunge in its unique little RPG romp for 80 Microsoft Points.

Story.

A dollar? Sign me up, I like supporting the wee ones

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I'm hoping for a RPGamer review before seeing if it's worth my time. The money, no issue.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Played it. Nothing unique about the gameplay. Story was a little preachy.

Did you kill lots of baseball bats?

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    So was this made on RPGmaker or something? It certainly has that unmistakable RPGmaker look about it.

There will be a review on RPGamer for this game once I finished. It does have a bit of an RPG Maker look, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Played it. Nothing unique about the gameplay. Story was a little preachy.
    Really didn't expect it to be unique from what ive seen

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I'm not going to lie... I'm not excited to post the review for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I'm not going to lie... I'm not excited to post the review for this game.
    I'm sorry you thought it was so bad. I just wish you might have emailed me with your concerns before even considering a review, though. Not trying to sound insulting whatsoever, but after a comment that reassuring, why even bother continuing to play my game?
    Please feel free to reply to my initial email review inquiry regarding to whether or not you'll even post the review. I'll leave quietly and you won't have to post any other content from me on your website if it's something you don't want to do.

Again, sorry to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by bioniclebert View Post
    I'm sorry you thought it was so bad. I just wish you might have emailed me with your concerns before even considering a review, though. Not trying to sound insulting whatsoever, but after a comment that reassuring, why even bother continuing to play my game?
    Please feel free to reply to my initial email review inquiry regarding to whether or not you'll even post the review. I'll leave quietly and you won't have to post any other content from me on your website if it's something you don't want to do.

Again, sorry to disappoint.
    No not at all. We want to continue to support all indie developers, and I finished your game because I wanted to, not because I was at all forced, I also made that comment AFTER I finished your game. However, there's a lot of problems with the game that must be addressed, and reviews, regardless of how negative they may be, really do help people improve on the quality of games they make. I haven't even posted the review yet, and if you prefer I don't, I won't, and I'll personally just e-mail you. When we choose to cover a game on RPGamer, it likely means we plan on reviewing it too. I don't want you to feel like I've crushed your game, but at the sametime, I'm giving you a different perspective on how I felt while playing it. What I hope is that you read my review and consider what issues I bring up and improve upon them for next time! I saw merit, I think how it was applied was...problematic. What I am going to say is, keep trying, and take whatever criticism you get, and build on it to make it better.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Honestly I would prefer that it be left to email. I agree whole heatedly about the critique aspect of the game being important, it's just things like this that just make me wish somebody would have said something to me while the game was in play testing or in peer review in the XNA forums.

Thanks again for your time and opinions on the matter.

Well, I gotta be honest about this, now that you've kinda lost it at the fact that your game is going to be reviewed and that the review might be less then favorable, I'm not really as interested as I was to buy your game. Even at a buck, if you're not willing to let critiques be public for others to read and decide whether or not they want to purchase your game regardless of what it says, In my opinion, it casts you in the very same light as the developer who complains about a review by saying that the reviewer was `playing it wrong.`

Which is to say, very poor.

Yeah... not to piss on anyone's ego or parade, but I agree with Babylon. After reading the above posts I doubt i'll be picking it up after all.

www.powerlinemag.com

I should just let this go, so hopefully I'll have the intelligence to shut up and not make any more posts, but here goes:

This is a game I've worked very hard on for a long while. When I released this game, I thought it was my best work at the time. I had input from dozens of people on every aspect of the game, from close friends to complete strangers, and I thank everybody who has helped me along the way. I'm just a 19 year old kid, after all, It's not like I'm claiming to know any better than anyone else about anything. But in this regard I haven't lost any respect for my own work. The dialogue is heavy, and many aspects that you'd harp on on a "traditional" RPG are overshadowed by this text. Battles are almost not important whatsoever, and that was done on purpose. Dialogue, Not heavy in the sense that I'm trying to teach anything, either. The "Experiment" was to try teaching ideas in a new way: without directly teaching. This goal was achieved through creating situations in which the player is put into which force ideologies onto James from both extremes of each issue. That's why we see the protesters in the city. Not because I want to save the environment, or as if that were the message of the game. The goal was to get people thinking about these issues for themselves, and by seeing the extremes that they'd feel disgusted enough to think up their own opinions of the matter. It's like hearing from a politician who you can't stand. It forces you to think about politics and form your own opinions on the matter. That's why I included themes of God and Nature. Normal, everyday people don't often think about these issues until somebody pressures them into doing so, often in a very uncomfortable way. Yelling at people to recycle more and telling them they'll burn if they don't convert... I don't think that stuff works, and so my new, "Self teaching" approach was born, and I applied it in this "Experimental" fashion. In fact, I'm still learning what I truly believe about these issues myself. Though this was the goal, obviously with this crowd I didn't go about it the right way, and that's why I apologized. It's like I'm trying to present a nearly free download as a gift, and it's something you didn't want or like. So don't you think I have a reason to feel "sorry" in this regard?

When I hear that somebody doesn't like the game, obviously my first instinct is to ask why, as I've done above. Every other comment I've received on the game so far has been either absolutely positive, or negative along the lines of "RPG Maker graphics suck, etc". So this, you could say, has been the first totally negative, yet totally helpful, feedback I've received, which is why I was irked enough to register on these forums and get some feedback directly. I hope you can understand why this feedback had me so distraught.

I've told the reviewer above personally that if they thought it was that bad, to keep it to email. Obviously in the end, they're going to end up doing whatever they feel is right to do. I've left them that choice. I'm not asking anyone to cover up bad press, in fact, I'm asking the person to email me so that I can clear up what I was going for and so that they could tell me how I've gone about that wrong, and so with that feedback I can come back next time around with something much better. That invaluable feedback, which fuels the future of all games that I decide to work on, is something that I don't think makes sense to post publicly. What makes sense to me to post is something along the lines of a review, or ratings, not developer feedback, which is what I was asking for, given the level of reassurance I talked about above.

Again, I really don't want to try to sit here and defend the game anymore. I tried to do something different, and if you didn't like it, I'm sorry.

Check your email. I replied earlier this morning. I'm closing this thread for the time being, because it's doing more harm than good.

Note: I have made the call that we will be posting a review for this game shortly. It's available online now for people to buy, so it's only fair that we post the same info anyone else out there could.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm