Thread: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Preview

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Preview

Deus Ex: Human Revolution certainly has some nice-looking trailers, but how's the gameplay behind the stylish exterior? We've had a chance to see the game in action, and have a full report of the proceedings.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

This is going to sound really stupid to most people but Fallout 3 and New Vegas spoiled me on this... Can you zoom out to 3rd person any time? Or is it just when you go into cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbabylon View Post
    This is going to sound really stupid to most people but Fallout 3 and New Vegas spoiled me on this... Can you zoom out to 3rd person any time? Or is it just when you go into cover?
    I believe that 3rd person only happens when you go into cover, but I'm not entirely sure how it works (one of those things that'll probably require a playable demo to see).

Speaking of questions, I saw and heard a lot more than I was able to fully describe in the preview, so all of y'all can feel free to ask any questions you have, and I'll answer them if I'm able.

It's definitely not a deal-breaker by any means. The game looks amazing and is certainly a day one purchase for me.

On another note, How did the gun play feel? I don't know if you have a litmus to compare it too really. Was it really RPGish or was it more the standard FPS fare where if you shoot someone in the head, they die instead of shooting someone and they lose hit points.

I can't tell you how the gunplay "felt", per se (there isn't a playable demo yet), but it's more FPS-style than RPG-style. I asked a question about it in the interview I'm posting tomorrow, in fact, so I'll let you wait for that one.

Oooh. I didn't know it wasn't hands on. Sorry!

The camera also changes to third person when you kill someone with melee sneak attacks if I am not mistaken. The game looks good but I will prbably not get this day one.

There was a whole heap of backlash from Deus Ex fans for putting third person in there at all. I don't see the big deal personally, it worked fine in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    There was a whole heap of backlash from Deus Ex fans for putting third person in there at all. I don't see the big deal personally, it worked fine in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
    I really like that it switches to third-person when you're looking around corners. I have a very difficult time doing that without blowing my cover, because in first person you can't see your body and it's hard to tell how far you're sticking out around the corner. In this case it just shows Jensen plastered up against the corner peering around, and the player can clearly see what's down the hallway. This makes me happy.

The character models look so awesome, 'twould be a shame not to display them at every given opportunity.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I really like that it switches to third-person when you're looking around corners. I have a very difficult time doing that without blowing my cover, because in first person you can't see your body and it's hard to tell how far you're sticking out around the corner. In this case it just shows Jensen plastered up against the corner peering around, and the player can clearly see what's down the hallway. This makes me happy.
    Well, it's been done in first person effectively before. In fact, it was done over ten years ago in Goldeneye 007 on the N64. In that game you could peek around corners while in the aiming mode, which worked wonderfully.

Just playing devil's advocate though. Personally, I like the third person perspective. The character models really do look fantastic.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

New Member Member
    Ah Deus Ex. That was the only first person stealth shooter that have me going to til end. Never have I had so much fun crawling around the ventilator and shooting guard in the buttocks with tranq darts. The only game that ever felt as good was NOLF2 and that had a British secret agent riding on the back of a giant Irish man in kilt riding a tricycle chasing a French midget mime assassin who is escaping on monocycle. I'm crossing my fingers that one of these days either of those will appear on GOG. But until then may Deus Ex three turn out better than 2.

Looks like the gameplay clip takes place in Midgar

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    and my internal cyberpunk fan just did a serious headdesk there. I think I need a new inner desk.