Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alundra and Arc the Lad PSN Impressions

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Alundra and Arc the Lad PSN Impressions

Missed out on Alundra and Arc the Lad when they were first released? Well, RPGamer is here to give you the scoop on both classics from the perspective of someone who never tried either.

Double Header Impression

I didn't get too far when I played Alundra in my PSOne days.
    But I played the snot out of Arc 1,2,& 3.

Monster Lover
    I remember Alundra being EPIC way back when. I'm very curious to see how well it's aged.

I'm hoping Arc The Lad does well enough for 2 & 3 to come out, especially if the Arena comes too. That's probably my favorite series of tactical rpgs.

Thanks. I've been eying both of those games for a month now, but funds and time are extremely limited. Now I know to definitely put them on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
    Thanks. I've been eying both of those games for a month now, but funds and time are extremely limited. Now I know to definitely put them on the list!
    Do it, they are both superb games. A lot of charm in the both of them, compliments of WD.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FudorahZubat View Post
    I remember Alundra being EPIC way back when. I'm very curious to see how well it's aged.
    2d games pretty much last forever aesthetically. They age extremely well. Hell I was looking at some breath of fire 3 vids on youtube and was still impressed by the slick art and animation. Miria is one fine looking endboss.

Anyhoo, mechanically, alundra was pretty fun so I'm sure it will hold up.

It's the ancient 3D games that make me go ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu when I look at them and can't help but compare them to today's 3d graphical standards.
    sup?

Monster Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    It's the ancient 3D games that make me go ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu when I look at them and can't help but compare them to today's 3d graphical standards.
    That's true, 3D games are kind of hit and miss. Replaying the original Spyro was fun and the older graphics kind of added to the charm. Others, like Vagrant Story which is fresh in my mind thanks to the recent feature, not so much.

If you like Arc the lad, you'll love Arc II. Arc I feels like just a prelude to something far greater once you start Arc II.

A word of warning though: If you do not complete the 50 floor bonus dungeon in Arc I and transfer your data, you will miss out on the majority of a very important side quest in Arc 2. You'll actually be missing some of the best scenes in the game.

You'll also want to make sure you get all 4 pieces of the romancing stone in Arc 1 if you want it in Arc 2 (hint: the final piece must be obtained during the boss battle on the final floor of the bonus dungeon.) This isn't as important as completing the bonus dungeon itself. The Romancing stone is very brokenly powerful in Arc II, so I tried to avoid using it as much as possible. Others can't live without it, however.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Alundra gets brutally hard at the end. I loved it back in the day, but I tried to someone the ending with an old save and I couldn't come close to beating the boss. I am curious if I could start today and take if down with little difficulty. Maybe I should find out over the holidays. Alundra is one of my old-school favorites, but it's pretty dark, story-wise.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

That's true, 3D games are kind of hit and miss. Replaying the original Spyro was fun and the older graphics kind of added to the charm. Others, like Vagrant Story which is fresh in my mind thanks to the recent feature, not so much.
    So, so true. But you know, the same holds true for 2D. Honestly, the furthest I can go back is the SNES/Gensis era with 2D. I was just thinking about this yesterday. You know, with the Atari 2600 and the NES, there was too much focus on technical limitations. It was during the 16-bit era that technical limitations started fading into the background, and we could finally just get immersed in the game. The same holds true for the PS and the PS2. It was during the PS2 era that technical limitations started fading into the background, and we could start just focusing on the game itself. PS1 games (specifically the 3D ones) seem to highlight the fact that they are running with limited draw distance and limited polygon counts.

If you like Arc the lad, you'll love Arc II. Arc I feels like just a prelude to something far greater once you start Arc II.

A word of warning though: If you do not complete the 50 floor bonus dungeon in Arc I and transfer your data, you will miss out on the majority of a very important side quest in Arc 2. You'll actually be missing some of the best scenes in the game.
    How does that work with the PSN version though? Maybe I'll play the PSN version of Arc I and then download a completed save file off of gamefaqs for transferring over to Arc II? Because if I have the option, I DEFINITELY want to play the first on a portable system. I NEVER have time to sit in front of a TV anymore. All of my gaming is done on the go. (One of the reasons why I want to downgrade my PSP and install custom firmware... so I can rip my PS1 library into ISOs and take them wherever I want to go).

PSN downloads of PS1 games can be played on both PS3 and PSP.

Yes, I know that. But this article was specifically about picking these titles up for $6 on the PSN, and currently, in the US, only Arc I is available on the PSN. Meaning no transferring the save file to Arc II. And even if Arc II WAS released on the PSN sometime down the line (unlikely), there's no guarantee you'd be able to load your save data from Arc I.

Arc 2 and Arena were rated and will most likely hit PSN in the future. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to transfer your saves in PSN games? You have a virtual PS1 memory card with your saves. Works like a physical memory card.

So, so true. But you know, the same holds true for 2D. Honestly, the furthest I can go back is the SNES/Gensis era with 2D. I was just thinking about this yesterday. You know, with the Atari 2600 and the NES, there was too much focus on technical limitations. It was during the 16-bit era that technical limitations started fading into the background, and we could finally just get immersed in the game. The same holds true for the PS and the PS2. It was during the PS2 era that technical limitations started fading into the background, and we could start just focusing on the game itself. PS1 games (specifically the 3D ones) seem to highlight the fact that they are running with limited draw distance and limited polygon counts.
    Don't know if that was an intended repetition but it confused me ;~;

Alundra brings back such lovely memories. I must've been about 7 or 8 when I first played it and I absolutely loved it. Shame I live in the EU and cba to mess around with US payments etc or I'd snap this up in a heartbeat.

Yes, I know that. But this article was specifically about picking these titles up for $6 on the PSN, and currently, in the US, only Arc I is available on the PSN. Meaning no transferring the save file to Arc II. And even if Arc II WAS released on the PSN sometime down the line (unlikely), there's no guarantee you'd be able to load your save data from Arc I.
    Playstation One games on the PSN use the same virtual memory card as the disc games and they works just like the real thing. I have the memory card adapter and I copy my original data to the PS3. I bought Symphony of the Night and was able to use my data. Arc the Lad 2 will likely recognize the data in the virtual memory card just like it would on a normal PS1 with a phisical memory card.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

I've voiced my praise of Alundra before. It's like Zelda and just as good, but with a darker atmosphere. The challenge is a bit over the top though.

I haven't played any Arc the Lad games before except Twilight of the Spirits, which was alright. I just ordered the Arc the Lad Collection for PS1 with 1-3 in it, so I'm looking forward to that.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

And even if Arc II WAS released on the PSN sometime down the line (unlikely), there's no guarantee you'd be able to load your save data from Arc I.
    Arc The Lad II has been confirmed, and it's supposed to be out sometime this month.

Well, I stand corrected! Gosh, you go without the internet for a month, and look at all the stuff you miss!

Don't know if that was an intended repetition but it confused me ;~;
    Yes, it was intended. For 2D games, Super Nintendo was when they reached that point. For 3D games, the PS2 was when they reached that point. That's all I was trying to say. ^_^;

Yes, it was intended. For 2D games, Super Nintendo was when they reached that point. For 3D games, the PS2 was when they reached that point. That's all I was trying to say. ^_^;
    Ah I get you xD For some reason I didn't realise you were comparing 2D and 3D eras.

I actually still own my PS1 copy of Alundra (probably scratched to hell though) but sadly my PS3 kicked the bucket a few weeks back (Yellow light of dooooom) so I won't be playing it any time soon