Thread: GoG.com Lands the Big Baldur's Gate II Kahuna

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

GoG.com Lands the Big Baldur's Gate II Kahuna

Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm. My friend and companion ever since my h-h-head wound, he will lead us to victory! Onward, perhaps, to GoG.com?

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

...okay, this is too good to pass up, but does anyone know if GoG actually does something to make the games compatible with Win 7 or are they just claiming it is? I was told NWN was compatible too. It barely works.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Odd. My old copy of NWN ran fine on my PC after I fiddled with some settings in the Catalyst Control Center to make it so the models actually rendered.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Likewise for my graphic card's settings, but it's still always a hiccup or two away from crashing. I suspect it's the 64bit thing.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Yeah, ATI doesn't seem to be shipping proper OpenGL drivers with their updates nowadays, so many problems can be traced to that.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Yeah, ATI doesn't seem to be shipping proper OpenGL drivers with their updates nowadays, so many problems can be traced to that.
    Actually, when they shipped out the OpenGL 4.0 drivers, that apparently added more functions or something to the API which caused problems for numerous games that can't enumerate that many functions. Notably was anything id did prior to Doom III. Rage3D has a good thread about this issue. EDIT: Apparently it's going to be fixed soonish according to that thread (hadn't looked at it in a while).

Going forward I think this will be less an issue. MS is readily embracing vitrualization technology in the operating system, although it's a shame they didn't offer XP Mode for non-Professional licenses of 7. However, if you've got a copy of XP lying around, just install VirtualBox or any other VM application software and you should be able to run games designed for 9x/NT with little trouble. Oh, and of course, there's also DOSBox for anything that requires tweaking .ini files for sound and running from a command prompt.

Have you tried asking for help on the GoG.com forums with your NWN issue? They're pretty friendly and helpful on there. You can also ask about people's experiences with Windows 7 in the BG2 forum. That's what I'd do if I were worried about compatibility (though everything I've bought from GoG so far has worked just fine on Win 7 64 bit.)

Nah, this was a boxed edition I bought years ago. I did lots of research to fix the problem, the "hell and a half" part I mentioned in another thread, got lots of help from Bioware people, etc, etc. Long story short, older games and 64bit systems don't mix well.

It may have just been an early issue with Win 7. If GoG games seem to work on your system, chances are such issues have been addressed since then.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    Gog goes out of their way to make sure their games work on new systems, so it should be fine.

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you had trouble with the GoG version of NWN. Yeah, if GoG says a game is compatible with a system, they've set it up and tested it on that system.

I've had problems with a few of the GoG games in win 7 64bit
    If I recall the fix in almost every case was to install the game somewhere besides default
    like in a "GOG" folder - maybe they don't like that long name "Program Files (x86)"

That's a good point. I've long stopped keeping games in Program Files / Program Files (x86). Just use C:\Games. Works quite well and I honestly don't expect game developers to be well versed in whatever security stuff MS is trying to do. They don't exactly have a good track record of staying on top of the latest Windows development practices. Especially now that MS has locked down the Program Files directories with Vista/7.