Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 29 - The Deity Is Unhappy

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 29 - The Deity Is Unhappy

Playing God can be entertaining, and many years ago Enix created a game which allowed players to be the supreme being. How it feels to administer divine wrath upon the legions of Tanzra is what we're talking about today, so listen and reminisce.
    ActRaiser, uh huh.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    The contest is open for 1 week, btw...closes next Saturday...or whenever Mike wishes to pass final judgment.

Oh I get to hear Neko. Mwhahahaha.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    Come for that, but stay for the Actraiser!

(Then leave for the Actraiser 2.)

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Hey guys, was being unable to hear the skit a part of the joke or something?

Also, JCS, did you ever play Superhero League of Hoboken?

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Good catch, nyx. There was an issue with one of the sound tracks that I did not catch in my editing. I'm fixing it now and will have the corrected MP3 file uploaded within an hour.

And, no, can't say I have. I just read a review of it here, and I have to say, it looks very, very interesting. GoG needs to get their hands on this!

It's been almost twenty years since Actraiser. And aside from the first game's re-release on Virtual Console and mobile phones, it's looking more and more like a dead franchise. Especially because the game's developer Quintet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintet...e_developer%29 and http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/quintet/quintet.htm ) has created very few games since the PS1 era, except for a few licensed titles. So if any series could benefit from a fan-made remake or sequel, this would be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Good catch, nyx. There was an issue with one of the sound tracks that I did not catch in my editing. I'm fixing it now and will have the corrected MP3 file uploaded within an hour.
    A new version, maybe that will fix my problem.

Nope that didn't work, after about an hour and 10 mins of listening I start hearing the ghostly voice of Strawberry Eggs! (OK, quiet. But ghosty gave a better description )

So can yo... Sorry, I mean: Dear godlike/master/sir/etc I know you must be very busy, but can you see it in your good grace to disenchant the lost voice of Strawberry Eggs from the middle of the podcast, so it can be enshrined in a more enlightened position, say after the final harmonics. Ta thanks very much.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Heh, I rather enjoyed Sailor Moon: Another Story, as I was a huge Sailor Moon fan back in the day, and the anime still holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

As for the last battle, yes I did lose the first round, fought Apsu with my second party and got a bad ending, but I noticed something odd. That first battle, I went in with a really powerful team: Sailor Moon, Uranus, Mars, Jupiter, and Pluto. Apsu wiped me out in one turn. On another playthrough, I went with a much less powerful team, replacing Uranus and Jupiter with Mercury and Saturn. That one played out normally. I thought it was because the game could tell I had an overpowered team and punished me. Did this happen to anyone else?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Apparently that contest question was too hard? I expected at least some activity regarding it.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I would enter, but seeing as I already won a pervious contest, it didn't seem fair.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I can recommend Freedom Force to anyone who likes the lighter side of tactical strategy games, the history of comic books, or awesomeness. The writing and voice acting are spot-on from the comic eras, and the character introductions are usually hilarious. The level of customization in the creation of a new character is kind of insane, with the ability to choose pre-existing moves or creating your own from scratch. The game itself is challenging, with a pausable real-time battle system similar to KotOR with more units and more RTS controls. But wait, there's more! There are a ton of fan-created additional campaigns to extend its life. If you have Steam, a PC, and $4, you must own Freedom Force.