Thread: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Approaches as The Shattering Strikes Azeroth

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Approaches as The Shattering Strikes Azeroth

Denizens of Azeroth awaken after good night out, find the place ruined by presence of large evil dragon. Everyone shrugs, goes to grind cure for world-ending hangover.

[NEWS]

EDIT: Deathwing has now finished cooking Azeroth, servers are going up.
    Last edited by Quin; 11-23-2010 at 03:25 PM.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yay, I have a gnome priest now! The gnome starter area is pretty funny at the moment. Little gnomes in priest robes everywhere.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Man, the most compelling argument for gnomes not having a soul was the lack of healing classes. Now that's totally out the window

::specs her gnome shadow and steals Paws' soul::

Oh snap. That's even worse then being mind controlled off the Lumbermill D:

One of my friends just bought me the core game and the first two expansions, so now I have no excuse to not give it a try. I've heard the world change is pretty cool, looking forward to checking it out in a couple hours once it finishes downloading!

Speaking of new purchases, they have deeply discounted the core game and the expansions for a short time. It's definitely worth a look if you haven't tried the game yet.

Keep in mind though that some areas are most definitely still in beta, so be prepared for some frustrations. Generally, Kalimdor is in much better shape than Eastern Kingdoms, so you can take a character through there if you're looking to avoid that. Otherwise, the old world revamp is quite good.
    Rise!

It's a mixed bag on Horde side so far. Orc starting area has barely changed, save for one area that's actually more boring than the original quests it replaced, and aside from a series of quests on the farms, questing in The Barrens, despite being one of the hardest hit regions, is very similar to what it was before. Haven't quested in the southern side yet.

Silverpine, on the other hand, is brand new and should become a template for all new quests in the future. It's got everything you could ask for: death defying escapes, heroic sacrifices, touching moments, comedy (chicken bomb!), one-on-one time with Sylvanas and Crowley, betrayel, some twists and turns, and on a few occasions you form a party with NPC's and get to listen to some interesting banter. Easily the best new questing zone if not the best zone in the entire game!

It appears to be a safer bet to try anything that's actually new right now. Heading to Azshara next.

Other than the 1-5 quests for Trolls and Gnomes, not a whole lot has changed up to 10 on either side. Darkshore, Westfall, and Azshara are quite different though, and they turned out pretty well, I think. Highlights for me so far have been Stonetalon (more so Horde side than Alliance), Western Plaguelands, Badlands, and Un'goro.
    Rise!

Tauren starting zone is quite different. Way more flavour than before.

There is a lot more "war" in Warcraft now.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I absolutely loved 1-5 Troll quests. Since it was the first one I did, I was thinking that all of them would be like that. I was a bit disappointed once I left the starter area. The level 6-10 are still better than before, but not as cool as the first five levels. One of the things that really impressed me about the early troll quests was the sheer amount of scripting and voice acting which really draws the player into the experience. It really is a let down when the quests in the next area go back to the only hearing the normal greeting quips. The writing for the quests was a bit better overall.

Then I did humans, which weren't as flavored, scripted or voiced acted as the trolls first five levels. Level 1-5 human felt as interesting as 6-10 troll. The 6-10 human quests were largely unchanged (and boring to me since I've done them a dozen times), until I got to Hogger. Moving on the next area, however, I ran into some pretty humorous quests.

The Dranny starter area and quests, on the other hand, seem completely unchanged for the most part.

With that being said, I will point out (for those considering trying new characters/alts), that the leveling process is much faster than vanilla wow, and even faster than just a few months ago. XP requirements were lowered (or xp gains increased), more flight points put in most areas and quests are in similar areas (requiring less running around). Also mount level / money requirements were lowered a while ago, and XP gains added to mining/herbalism and battlegrounds. Along with the new LFG function, and you can see how leveling comes MUCH faster nowadays. My 65 priest knocked out a full level in one hour with rest via random dungeons! I have friends hitting their mid 30's within 24 hours of /played.

I've also noted that the early armor you get looks MUCH better. At level 10, my pally really looks like a pally and not some street brawler who knows just WHICH colors are the worst to try and match.

And don't let me forget to mention how much more detailed the graphics are overall in these beginning areas. And the water looks so detailed!

So far, overall, I'm pretty happy! I hope they extend more of these changes to other quests, but I can live with the way it is now.

I absolutely loved 1-5 Troll quests. Since it was the first one I did, I was thinking that all of them would be like that. I was a bit disappointed once I left the starter area. The level 6-10 are still better than before, but not as cool as the first five levels.
    You definitely get the impression some new zones got more love than others especially those zones that got new quests instead of reworded existing quests. I've played through all Horde lowbie zones up to 20, save the blood elf zones, and can honestly say most zones are just slightly altered. I don't think the Blood Elf area was changed at all (didn't actually play it, but I did peruse the quests available and none of them looked different), orc area is more boring than it was before, troll stuff is fun but quickly turns into standard Durotar quests, tauren area starts strong but you soon find yourself doing nearly the same quests as before, undead area has more flavour but really hasn't changed much, and Azshara is a mixed bag of fun quests and old-fashioned dull quests.

Silverpine, of course, is the major exception. Blizzard clearly put 110% into this region and used every new trick they had to make Silverpine awesome. Either they really wanted worgens to have a great introduction or the development team behind this region was more skilled than others (the on-site quest completion thing is great, so it's a wonder why it doesn't get used in other new areas where it should have been used).

There is also a lot more humour than before. They could have easily made the dragon Azuregos and Xylem sound wise and intimidating; instead, Xylem is now an eccentric goofball and Azuregos lays a great deal of sass on you when you find him (not to mention HOW you find him). The "Be a Questgiver" quest so far takes the cake for me: Blizzard takes some rather nasty shots at players, but it's hilarious.
    I've also noted that the early armor you get looks MUCH better.
    Oh, yeah! Capes actually look like capes now. They were just ragged...things before.

I think Silverpine is a Horde-only quest area, actually, so it's not about the worgen (I think the worgen get shuttled over to Darkshore when they leave their starter area). On the Alliance starter side, Darkshore, Westfall, and Redridge have been majorly redone. This is especially nice for Darkshore and Redridge, which were pretty awful before. The dev team gave the most love to zones that needed it the most, so relatively strong zones from the original game like Duskwood didn't get much attention and now pale in comparison to their shiny bells and whistles counterparts. I understand why it was done that way, though. Can you imagine how much work went into making the old-world changes they did, PLUS adding a bunch of new high-level zones and dungeons? I'm impressed by how much they managed to do with expansion pack release timing.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    There is a lot more "war" in Warcraft now.
    Blasphemy.

I've only played the RTS games and this struck me as an amusing thing to say.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Silverpine is both a Horde-only zone AND all about Worgen. It's the Forsaken side of the Battle of Gilneas plot and you do spend parts of it in Gilneas in large battles and questing at various quest hubs. Plot-wise, it goes Worgen 1-5, Worgen 5-12, Silverpine, then Shadowfang Keep ends the plot (for now, with loose ends).

What Seraph said. You learn an awful lot about the Worgen and their leaders there. It makes for some great storytelling.

Can you imagine how much work went into making the old-world changes they did, PLUS adding a bunch of new high-level zones and dungeons?
    I'd have more sympathy for them if they were a smaller company working under tight deadlines, but they're not. They've got billions of dollars and Blizz is probably the only company out there with a "it's finished when it's finished" policy. They can take as long as they want and nobody can stop them.

I've only played the RTS games and this struck me as an amusing thing to say.
    I dunno about the RTS games, but during Thrall's reign in WoW, there was a fragile peace between the two factions and diplomacy became Horde policy. The vast majority of questing had nothing to do with war. At the very least, most "conflicts" consisted of questgivers telling players to kill 10 mobs. Now that bloodthirsty leaders are in charge of both factions, there is a heck of a lot more battlegrounds than there were before. All of Silverpine is just one great big warzone, the first thing you do in the Tauren starting zone is join a raging battle, and there are generally way more large scale battles than there were before.

When all is said and done, it's still the same old "kill 10 mobs" style of quests, but the atmosphere and sense of urgency is much more prevalant than before. Running into the thick of battle and killing your 10 quest targets while allied soldiers fight around you and catapults rain blight-filled cannisters on you feels a heck of a lot different than running up to 10 mobs wandering around an area and killing them until the quest is finished.

When all is said and done, it's still the same old "kill 10 mobs" style of quests, but the atmosphere and sense of urgency is much more prevalant than before. Running into the thick of battle and killing your 10 quest targets while allied soldiers fight around you and catapults rain blight-filled cannisters on you feels a heck of a lot different than running up to 10 mobs wandering around an area and killing them until the quest is finished.
    Wow, I could not have put this better myself. So very true.

I'd have more sympathy for them if they were a smaller company working under tight deadlines, but they're not. They've got billions of dollars and Blizz is probably the only company out there with a "it's finished when it's finished" policy. They can take as long as they want and nobody can stop them..
    I wasn't saying we should have sympathy for Blizzard, just that it's understandable that they didn't completely re-do the old world (I do agree that they probably could have stuck a few extra "nifty" quests in the areas they didn't do much with). I don't agree that they can take as long as they want with expansions. Two years on a single expansion is about the maximum they can get away with without losing lots of subscription revenue. The amount of work they did on the original levelling content is pretty much unprecedented in the history of MMORPGs, too. It's a bit of an experiment on their part, and nobody knows how much it will pay off for them. Given the need to balance levelling content changes with top-level content plus the time restraints they're working with, I think they made fairly solid choices about how much of the old world to redo.