Thread: RPGCast - Episode 156: "Creepy Chocobo"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 156: "Creepy Chocobo"

RPGCast - Episode 156: "Creepy Chocobo"

While the creepy chocobo watched all the live stream viewers, we discussed NISA and Imageepoch, Infinity Blade and iPhone, and Ni no Kuni and large books. The real show stealer, of course, is the Harvest Moon news. You'll be blown away.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/156

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Creepy Chocobo"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Okay, I'm listening to the show now and here's just a few thoughts...

First, I feel flattered I am your favourite game ever...? Whaaaaat.

I'm not sure in terms of quotes on the box, but we've been in a few ads like Valkyria (like Chris mentioned) and we had a quote for the Sakura Wars ads too from my knowledge. I know there's been a few others, but I'm drawing a blank.

Manny - DA2 comes out in March. We'll be having some DA2 coverage later this week, so look out for that.

Certified Polygameyst RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Chris, I did the exact same thing that you did. I bought Dragon Age Ultimate from Impulse since it was cheaper than buying the expansions and DLC one by one. Like you, I already had the base game. I then used the code with EA Downloader to add it there (My wife already has every SIM game in existence registered there, and I have a couple of command and conquers). For some reason, the DLC is showing unregistered/unlicensed (though it clearly shows it's installed) on my main PC. However, all this works fine on my laptop. After hours online looking at boards, I cannot figure it out. I think it has to do with the fact that DAO was installed on my main PC before. I'm thinking about reinstalling windows which will probably take care of this issue, plus some slow down I've been experiencing lately.

Check out the DA updater service or whatever it's called in Windows' services list. Try starting it manually. I had an issue where mine was looking in the wrong place for the executable, so it wouldn't start, causing all my stuff to be unauthorized. If that IS the case, a simple regedit fixes it.

I don't know if that is actually the problem for you, but if it is that should fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSuzaku View Post
    Check out the DA updater service or whatever it's called in Windows' services list. Try starting it manually. I had an issue where mine was looking in the wrong place for the executable, so it wouldn't start, causing all my stuff to be unauthorized. If that IS the case, a simple regedit fixes it.

I don't know if that is actually the problem for you, but if it is that should fix it.
    Yeah, I couldn't find it in the windows service list. I must have looked a dozen times, and reinstalled the game twice. EVIL!

Consequently, I take issue with that mode of DLC authorization. It was particularly annoying as it had happened after I had transferred my stuff off of a dying hard drive. I apparently messed with the directory structure and forgot about it. Tried to load a save game and BOOM! Can't load the game because of unauthorized content. Suck.

One thing you could try, which I didn't, is run the updater exe itself before launching the game. The exe should be in the bin-ship directory inside the Dragon Age folder, iirc. Don't know if that will work for you or not. Heck, the updater might not even be the issue. It's just the most common cause I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSuzaku View Post
    Consequently, I take issue with that mode of DLC authorization. It was particularly annoying as it had happened after I had transferred my stuff off of a dying hard drive. I apparently messed with the directory structure and forgot about it. Tried to load a save game and BOOM! Can't load the game because of unauthorized content. Suck.

One thing you could try, which I didn't, is run the updater exe itself before launching the game. The exe should be in the bin-ship directory inside the Dragon Age folder, iirc. Don't know if that will work for you or not. Heck, the updater might not even be the issue. It's just the most common cause I've come across.
    Oh, I tried that too. Didn't work. EVIL.

Yeah, I really think this DRM crap suxs. If you want to make me log in ONCE to authorize the DLC, that's fine... IF it works. I shouldn't have to log in every time for a single player game, and I should have to play with Windows services. Evil game.

I wish I knew who was smoking what when they were writing up the system for Dragon Age DLC. I have NEVER seen another game have this many DLC issues--the Mass Effects included. Heck, it took me two or three days to be able to finally BUY Return to Ostagar. I was all like "I has points, please let me give them to you." and DA was all like "NO! NO DLC FOR YOU!" and I was sad. I ended up having to screw around with my DA profile. It was simple, but annoying.

I really hope that DA2 manages DLC better. There's really no reason for this crap.

It sounds like you've tried everything I can think of, and if you've already tried un/reinstalling, I got nothing. Uninstall and wipe the DA profile from your My Documents\Bioware directoy? I dunno.

I totally concur with everything you said. Yeah, I even deleted a whole bunch of /doc folders or whatnot that was listed in the EA help topic addressing this issue is concerned. sigh. At least it works on my laptop. As far as getting DAO to work on my main PC...well, I'm sure its nothing that reinstalling the OS won't fix :P

The Super Mario RPG probably counts as happy SNES-era RPG.
    Although I think it was mostly an attitude thing. Terrible things happen in practically everyone of those old RPGs, but you don't really have emo heroes bemoaning how the villian burned down his town, killed his girlfriend, etc.

Maybe Chris should buy HD Shadow of the Colossus, I think there is a fair chance of him playing it then.
    While I have doubts that he would take the time to go back to play the original, when there's a better version out there.

And yes, your cultural food were lost on me. I don't even know what a fangs grieving is. I'm guessing it some celebration about feasting on dead animals.

In any case, I hope Chris had fun blowing his snose!

Quote Originally Posted by silktail View Post
    And yes, your cultural food were lost on me. I don't even know what a fangs grieving is. I'm guessing it some celebration about feasting on dead animals.
    Best. Quote. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Best. Quote. Ever.
    And oddly enough, correct.
    ive got candy

New Member Member
    Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion of the future of console gaming. Do you think the current console model will persist? While I'm no Michael Pachter, I foresee 2 distinct possibilities as technology moves forward.

1. A console/handheld hybrid device. Similar to a smartphone having all in one capabilities as well as a TV out connection and possible wireless controller add on

2. A service like Onlive to stream games that is build directly into your internet connected TV via an App

I know we are probably a ways from seeing any of these, but just wanted your early opinion. Also feel free to tie this into RPGs somehow. I for one would love option 1 because it would merge the handheld and console markets. There seem to be a lot of great RPGs on handhelds this generation, but I hate playing on the tiny screen. Even with the PSP video out it doesn't scale the picture and looks blown up and pixelated. Anyway, love the show and props to Manny and Chris who managed to put on a great show despite being undermanned.
    Last edited by DeadBow; 12-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    I think streaming games will be a big deal, but not anytime soon. Kinda like how Microsoft presented the tablet PC in 2000, but it didn't take off for the non-business consumer until the iPad in 2010. I see cloud gaming at home as a 2020 thing.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.