Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced

Bethesda has been fairly quiet as of late about the fate of its Elder Scrolls series. Finally, after years of silence, Skyrim makes its debut at the Spike Video Game Awards.

Story.

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Well that's 1m37 of my life I'm not getting back, announcement trailers really are useless.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Seriously, couldn't agree more.

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    As Ars Technica put it, VGAs are like E3 but without having to include pesky things like gameplay footage the press will eviscirate you for not having. It's all smoke + mirrors + hype full tilt.

But good to hear they're dropping Gamebryo.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Yay, an announcement! I'm excited.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    FINALLY!

...okay, I just have to say it again...

FINALLY!

...and it's NOT an MMORPG like everyone suspected. At least, I don't see the point of restricting an MMO to a single province within the game. And I bet it's pretty close to being finished too.

Quote Originally Posted by Severin Mira View Post
    Well that's 1m37 of my life I'm not getting back, announcement trailers really are useless.
    Hah hah... people ***** and moan about there not being any news, they get a teaser trailer, and they ***** and moan. You can't please everyone I suppose.

I like it. Now I know the game exists, I know it will be out soon provided there are no delays, and I know it is a direct sequel to Oblivion. What is there to complain about?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I'll bet the devs behind Two Worlds 2 have a lot to complain about right now, ha!

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Hah hah... people ***** and moan about there not being any news, they get a teaser trailer, and they ***** and moan. You can't please everyone I suppose.

I like it. Now I know the game exists, I know it will be out soon provided there are no delays, and I know it is a direct sequel to Oblivion. What is there to complain about?
    It's more objecting to the putting so time into something which provides nothing more than a press release would. I get why they do it, I'm just never such a fan of obvious publicity drumming and it annoys me somewhat that it seems to be getting so much more commonplace in gaming.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

It also gives you some background info on the story they want to tell with it. I for one thought it was a neat way of showing it, through stone carvings on a wall and such.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I'll bet the devs behind Two Worlds 2 have a lot to complain about right now, ha!
    Two Worlds II sold one million copies in Europe. And the game has yet to be released in UK, America and Australia. For a Polish dev team, I think that is great. It has the fraction of the budget of Bethesda or BioWare rpgs. Did I mention that it looks great(best looking PC rpg), has a very good soundtrack and plays well? Well, it does. Biggest surprise of the year for me and I can't wait for their next game.

Two Worlds II sold one million copies in Europe. And the game has yet to be released in UK, America and Australia. For a Polish dev team, I think that is great.
    That's nice, but if you've ever spent any time around businessmen, you know they always complain about the money they could have made, not the money they did make. Two Worlds was billed the "poor man's Oblivion" and now, barring some colossal screw-up on Bethesda's part, the same will happen to TW2 (from what I've read about the game so far, it's good, but not great). Any potential sales they could have garnered due to uncertainty regarding ES5 has greatly decreased. Even worse, all they needed was a couple more months and they would have been golden...

THUS the devs have a lot to complain about right now, ha!

But hey, I'm all for backing the little guy. If I'm wrong, than that means the game is doing very well and we may have a new great RPG franchise in the future...but I'm betting the above scenario will prove true.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 12-13-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Well, Two Worlds II hits America in January, The Elder Scrolls V is set to release in November. I think competition between these games is equal to none. The first Two Worlds game was a disaster, but they improved the sequel even if it isn't perfect in every area. It doesn't play anything like the TES games anymore. They did a good job differentiating themselves from those games.

Details and screenshots will be in the next issue of Game Informer, which should be out in early January. We might see something before then, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    But good to hear they're dropping Gamebryo.
    Where did you find this information? At this point I have heard people claiming both sides of this, and haven't found a shred of evidence to support either, so I'm really curious.

Bethesda mentioned on their twitter that TESV will use a new engine, and implied that earlier information from the Eurogamer interview (who claimed the game was based on upgraded Fallout 3 tech) was incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by nim22ama View Post
    Two Worlds II sold one million copies in Europe. And the game has yet to be released in UK, America and Australia. For a Polish dev team, I think that is great. It has the fraction of the budget of Bethesda or BioWare rpgs. Did I mention that it looks great(best looking PC rpg), has a very good soundtrack and plays well? Well, it does. Biggest surprise of the year for me and I can't wait for their next game.
    Really? It has a lot of bad rep and it comes off as kinda cheap in the videos I've seen. Of course, it's a bit hard to observe how a game plays and feels, and I've wanted to play some Western RPGs outside of the American ones that I've never been able to get very much into.
    Currently playing:
    Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
    Grand Theft Auto V

Quote Originally Posted by Spartakus View Post
    Really? It has a lot of bad rep and it comes off as kinda cheap in the videos I've seen. Of course, it's a bit hard to observe how a game plays and feels, and I've wanted to play some Western RPGs outside of the American ones that I've never been able to get very much into.
    The game isn't 100% perfect, but I can't stop playing. That is good enough for me.

On topic: It will be nice to see in-game screens of TESV with a new engine and all.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Here ya go. Joystiq sums up the information about Skyrim's new engine nicely.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance