Thread: Indie Developer Pow-Wow - Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Interview

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Indie Developer Pow-Wow - Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Interview

Some experts say that indie gaming is bad for your health, but RPGamer says a little indie does some good now and then. Welcome to our Indie Developer Pow-Wow, a weekly interview series 'til the end of December. Sixth to the plate: Carpe Fulgur.

Interview, Ho!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    Yayifications!

I'm glad the game is doing well. Looking forward to future projects.

The future I hope for is a bit of a compromise. I'm a collector and like physical copies for collection purposes. So that I can have a physical library to put my hands on (very carefully). As such, if a collector's edition exists about 80 - 90% of the time I will only consider buying the biggest best collector's edition and not even consider buying the "regular edition" of the game as an option. I'm thinking most people who demand physical copies are similar to myself. Most people who buy the "regular edition" on launch day when they can have the collector's edition right next to it for $10 - $20 more woudl gladly buy a digital copy if it woudl save them $5 - $10. This, of course represents the majority of the customer base.

So what I'm getting at is.... and some digital distribution companies already do this.... let those who care buy the packaging at an additional cost. All physical copies can be "limited edition" versions since those who care are usually after them for this reason anyhow. Naturally these limited editions would be truly limited.... At least at first. There is one business model I have seen Japanese hobby websites use that I have no yet seen here in the west.

That is for a product with limited appeal, they are honest with how many they need to produce in a run. They will open preorders and be clear that they need to receive x numbers of preorders to meet cost for the print run. once that number is met the items goes into production and everyone who orders it gets one. Then there's a couple hundred or so left over that stay on sale in whatever online shop until stock runs out. If the preorders are not met by X date, then the item never gets produced. It seems like it's very low risk for the company, while still allowing that small but dedicated segment of collectors to get their special copy of the game. As it seems digital distribution is inevitable for most games int eh future, I would like to see systems like this going into effect for companies that stop releasing boxed product.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

Transcends lowly masses
    I'm thinking most people who demand physical copies are similar to myself.
    I just like the convenience of paying for something and bam, having it. If I want to take it to my bro's house and play it there? Can do -- and as esily as ejecting it. No copying files, no downloading, no managing of keys and codes. I've got the game. It's in my hands. It's just peace of mind for me, I suppose. Perhaps I am an old man in that regard. I'll get a physical copy of something over a download 100% of the time, even if there's a huge discount on the digital version. Just how I roll.

Most people who buy the "regular edition" on launch day when they can have the collector's edition right next to it for $10 - $20 more woudl gladly buy a digital copy if it woudl save them $5 - $10. This, of course represents the majority of the customer base.
    I don't usually pick up collector's editions -- just not my thing, but as above, I'm not into downloads either. Gimme good old physical, regular editions and I'll be on it. *Shrug*
    OLD SKOOL and all that.

And see I'm the exact same way, but for the opposite option. The nearest store to me that sells video games is about 30-35 minutes away. My Internet is fast. In the vast majority of instances, I can download a game faster than I could pick up a retail copy. Moreover, while I'm downloading a game, I can go and do something else in the meantime, whereas if I drive to buy it than I'm just doing that.

The ideal solution would be to give customers the option - cheap digital copy or special edition retail copy.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeboyd Games View Post
    The ideal solution would be to give customers the option - cheap digital copy or special edition retail copy.
    That is precisely what I was saying... though much less more succinct.

Also @Rage: When I first read you post the first thing that popped into my head was "console games with mandatory installs." Also load times off of discs. However I don't think this will be an issue in the future. I'm thinking we will see more solid state media for games int eh future, assuming they continue to sell "physical copies" in stores.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>